• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I'm looking for a way to mount a small GoPro-like camera to the barrel of a rifle or shotgun.
    I have found rail mounts for guns with a rail, but nothing that I like for a gun that doesn't have a rail.

Any suggestions?

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    That would be perfect, but all my cameras are 1/4 20 standard tripod mount. GoPro has their own connection.

ATN scopes have a pretty good record function built in. A bit pricey though.

If I didn't already have a couple grand in cameras I would buy something like that. There's a camera in the classifieds that would be perfect, but I prefer to try to buy a mount instead of dropping a few more hundred on another camera

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I always like to get tools that are versatile enough to use in other ways, too. This thing (link below) is a knock off of the Manfrotto nano clamp, but you'll get the idea. Those clamp jaws have some rubber cladding adhered to them - hard to say if that would mess with bluing, etc. Using a clamp and small ball head will allow you to offset, aim, and otherwise manage the way things are arranged. This will accommodate your 1/4-20 mounting issue.

https://www.amazon.com/CAMVATE-Supe...cessories&qid=1573841617&s=electronics&sr=1-1

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    That's just great for GoPro...have a proprietary connection rather than what's long, long been accepted as an industry standard. I guess they want everyone to have no choice but to buy their accessory products only.

In their defense it is a better connection, especially for an action camera.
    And they have not prevented third parties from using it

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Anyone have experience with these? Good, bad, so so? Classifieds is no longer available. Web site looks like a good option for taking pictures or video.

I get the appeal of something that's got a form factor and user interface oriented around hunting/shooting ... but I think a recent vintage GoPro is a far more versatile tool with tons of aftermarket options/widgets. The newest ones have remarkably good stabilization routines and are pretty great little cameras.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Anyone have experience with these? Good, bad, so so? Classifieds is no longer available. Web site looks like a good option for taking pictures or video.

I received my shotkam this week Tom so far i like it. Ill be at Sanner tomorrow not sure im going to get into making movies tomorrow but will be taking recoil shoots on the skeet range

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom