• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    Hello,

Anyone sign up for the 2019 Maryland Pheasant hunts?

Was anyone's name picked? Mine was.

I'll be hunting November 23.

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    Is the lottery is closed now.
    See bottom of page https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/hunt_trap/Mentored-Hunt-Program.aspx

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/small-game-hunting/

"Special Pheasant Hunts for 2019
    The Maryland Department of Natural Resources will be offering “do-it-yourself” hunts for stocked pheasants in 2019. The pheasant hunts will take place on public lands in several regions of the state. Application information, dates, locations and other resources are available at: https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/hunt_trap/Mentored-Hunt-Program.aspx. Apprentice license holders, junior license holders and hunters who have previously held a Maryland hunting license, but not in the past three years, are eligible to apply. For additional information contact Nancy Doran at 301-777-2136 or nancy.doran@maryland.gov"

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Apprentice license holders, junior license holders and hunters who have previously held a Maryland hunting license, but not in the past three years, are eligible to apply. For additional information contact Nancy Doran at 301-777-2136 or nancy.doran@maryland.gov"

WTF? I hunt my own land (backyard) 95% of the time so don't need to buy a license. But, I buy a license each year just to 'register' myself as a hunter and it f'ing disqualifies me? I fund DNR withy license fees and I I don't get to apply for this hunt? I get all kind of useless ******** from DNR, but they don't make the entire hunting public aware of this? WTF? Only in this F'ing state.

You can bet your ass I'll be giving "Nancy' a ring on Monday.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    WTF? I hunt my own land (backyard) 95% of the time so don't need to buy a license. But, I buy a license each year just to 'register' myself as a hunter and it f'ing disqualifies me? I fund DNR withy license fees and I I don't get to apply for this hunt? I get all kind of useless ******** from DNR, but they don't make the entire hunting public aware of this? WTF? Only in this F'ing state.

Yeah...wtf is with having a license in the last 3 years a disqualification?

I guess it’s for kids and pulling people who used to hunt back in to it?

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    If it were just younger hunters. I'd probably stomach it. But my license fees have paid for that hunt and now someone who is essentially a non-hunter, gets to benefit from that where I can't even apply. BS.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV

You do know that you can go hunt anytime you want as long as its in season. You seem like the type that as soon as a mentor tried to tell you something you would catch an attitude so I don't think this hunt is for you unless you need someone to hold your hand and instruct you on what to do.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Remember back in 70-72 in Saucon Valley Pa we us to go pheasant hunting after school. Carried our shotguns in our trucks to school with absolutely no problems. No license, only permission of the landowners. That’s when I had my Ithaca O/U (that my dad sold when I went into the service).

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Better question might be , when's the last time you saw a pheasant in the wild here? Hope more than a few birds escape, maybe they could repopulate in the wild. Anybody (know) why the pheasant and grouse have disappeared? In 30 years of woods roaming and hunting in Maryland, I have seen ONE wild grouse in the mountains of Frederick County.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I'm 37 and I've seen ONE pheasant in Howard County in my life. I'm pretty sure it was originally pen raised and escaped or was raised for training dogs and the trainer missed their shot.

There are (or were 10 years ago) some good articles on the difficulty of reintroducing game birds by releasing pen raised ones. May still be findable with google. Short answer was basically they ended up not having the survival instincts of wild birds and it was extremely cost prohibitive because the vast majority fall to predators before reproducing.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Really? Shit I didn't know that! Thanks BigMan!! You're a genius! BTW - when was the last time you shot a pheasant on public land in MD?

That's why its called HUNTING not killing!!!!
    Here is where they will be hunting other than the guide in Garrett County

Mount Nebo WMA
    Cunningham Swamp WMA
    Savage River State Forest
    Warrior Mountain WMA
    Belle Grove WMA
    Green Ridge State Forest
    Indian Springs WMA
    Myrtle Grove WMA
    Chicamuxen WMA
    McKee Beshers WMA
    Old Bohemia WMA
    November 23-24, 2019

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    I remember back in the late 1960's and 1970's MD had a plenty of wild pheasants with a limit of 2 birds; Western Monkey, Frederick and Carroll Counties were best hunting. By the 1980's very few pheasants left and DNR stock pheasants in McKee-Beschers for public hunting, happy to see this program again, especially for youth hunters to enjoy bird hunting.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    So this is (was) the DNR info page on this.

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2019/09/17/stocked-pheasant-hunts-held-in-six-counties-across-maryland

More extensive stocking than I understood from the first post. So one could hunt after the restricted hunt, as BigMan indicated.

Still think its wrong that lapsed hunters are given a priority over regular hunters.

As for pheasants in the wild, I took a pic of a pheasant I saw from the road on the eastern shore back in 2015. Several in that thread thought thought it was one that had made it off a game farm...

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=172560

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom