• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 8, 2018
    Hello,

I am currently running with my wife but being 6 foot and her 5 foot I need something to slow me down. Does anyone have suggestion on a tactical vest/plate carrier that they have used for this purpose.

Thanks in Advance!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Wal-Mart sells weighted bests that you can add in increments. Probably cheaper and would draw less unwanted attention than a tactical vest

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Hands down,5.11 tactec vest with 20 pound plates from rogue... I use mine al the time and love it. It’s very comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 8, 2018
    Thanks for the thought, Looking to fulfill two needs here, a tack vest that i will now have and slow me down. Appearance is less of a worry for if needed i can wear a " safety" vest over it or a large sweatshirt in the winter.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Bad move, IMO.

Running with weights is good for Iowa State wrestlers, but bad for your joints.

Just change your gait, if running with your wife is important, though that can also lead to foot/ankle problems.

And welcome!!!!

Perhaps go to the 'Introductions' thread and give a brief account of yourself, so we can know you better:

https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I would recommend something like a Camelbak filled with water, add any other items to add weight. Just know a ton of stuff is going to hurt your joints and of course wear the right foot wear.

May 8, 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions,

I have tried changing my gate but that was a epic disaster and will not be doing this again. I never thought about the impact to my joints just a way to get a " harder" workout that would slow me down. If i dont run with her she will not go alone so I need to figure out something.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Thanks for the suggestions,

I have tried changing my gate but that was a epic disaster and will not be doing this again. I never thought about the impact to my joints just a way to get a " harder" workout that would slow me down. If i dont run with her she will not go alone so I need to figure out something.

Most former military members here (not Air Force) will agree that weighted runs and marches are hell on pretty much everything. We had to do it, and most just sucked it up, but eventually everything hurts all the time. As the cherry on top, the VA usually finds that the lingering chronic pain isn't service connected. :party29:
    If you want to go the Air Force route, you'll need two golf carts. One, preferably air conditioned, is to get you from A to B. The other is for your personal porter to carry your crap.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Have her run until she can't keep up anymore, then have her climb up on your back... win-win

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    If you are really thinking of running with a tactical vest on better know your neighbors and the LEO in the area. I can hear 911 calls now "Man with body armor running quickly down the road near the school". Chris

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Do 25 pushups while she jogs ahead 100 yards, then sprint to catch up, and drop for another set. There's your pace and your harder workout, and she's always in eyesight.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Most former military members here (not Air Force) will agree that weighted runs and marches are hell on pretty much everything. We had to do it, and most just sucked it up, but eventually everything hurts all the time. As the cherry on top, the VA usually finds that the lingering chronic pain isn't service connected. :party29:
    If you want to go the Air Force route, you'll need two golf carts. One, preferably air conditioned, is to get you from A to B. The other is for your personal porter to carry your crap.

Combat Weather, PJs, Ravens, Security Forces, Combat Controllers and others never had to run with a full pack???? Never had to run around with a Telephone pole? Never had to run long distances with a PRC? Right.... I don't mind the friendly inter-service rivalry but really? Sometimes I really get tired of the AF joke crap.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ruck up! It will narrow your stride and slow you down. Never mind all the other crap.

Last edited:

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Combat Weather, PJs, Ravens, Security Forces, Combat Controllers and others never had to run with a full pack???? Never had to run around with a Telephone pole? Never had to run long distances with a PRC? Right.... I don't mind the friendly inter-service rivalry but really? Sometimes I really get tired of the AF joke crap.

Sorry, brother. I work with a team made up of all services, and we give each other crap all the time. I flew airplanes, so my PT consisted mostly walking to the plane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom