• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    So I want learn to use a bow. I don’t hunt but my son and daughter are 7&8 (respectively) and they are I intrested in it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for beginner bows and arrows. Any recommendations for a grown man on getting into archery? I will be shooting into hay bales initially and the equipment doesnt need to be expensive. I just want to know what the quality brands are and if there is a website or store that has the best prices. Any input would be appreciated. I know I can google this info but I prefer real world input from real users. I am not trying to buy something recommended by a website because the were paid to write a great review of a shitty product.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Local to you - go to Jefferson Archery (in Jefferson), The Gun Shack(Mt. Airy), and Bowhunter's Den(Finksburg/Gamber) and shoot some bows. Some may advise against Den as Shane can come off bad.

It is a completely different set of muscles you'll use so don't be surprised if pulling higher poundage is tough. You want to start with a forgiving bow so pay attention to brace height and axle to axle length. Have them measure, correctly, your draw length. Get that wrong from the start and you'll have problems from the start. A bow has to feel right in your hand and in your draw. Some like little grips while some like fat ones. A bow is most efficient at it's highest draw weight and 60 pounds is plenty to take out deer. Kids, you should consider an adjustable draw length bow so you don't have to buy new every year as they grow. Something along the lines of a Mathews Genesis, other manufacturers also sell similar. A lot of these places have consignment bows on their racks so you can try them and not start off at top dollar.
    Bow preference will be debated the same as best caliber, best rifle, Ford or Chevy, etc.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    First you should decide if you want to start on a compound or go traditional, recurve or longbow. If just informal bale shooting, with no intention of hunting, I'd suggest recurve.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    First you should decide if you want to start on a compound or go traditional, recurve or longbow. If just informal bale shooting, with no intention of hunting, I'd suggest recurve.
    I second this, at least mostly. I've shot both compounds and recurves at various stages of my life. I started on recurve (competitive Olympic stule), but wished I had gone compound, so I got tired of it after a year and stopped for nearly 15 years. When I came back, I went compound for several years before moving back to recurve but in the more traditional sense.

My point is, try both kinds and decide which you like better. Once you know that, it'll be easier to narrow down gear recommendations.

Whatever you do, used gear is the way to go. Most new gear doesn't hold its value well (high end recurves and longbow possibly excepted).

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The Mount Airy Izzac Walton has a nice archery program.

http://www.mtairyiwla.org/archery

+1 I had been shooting archery for 30 years when I tried teaching my 8 year old daughter and she wouldn't listen "I know" is what she would say. She listened to those other men enthralled. The guys will swamp the kids and keep them busy and you'll have time to speak with other guys and learn. They will give you pointers on what and what not to buy for you and the kids.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    My recommendation is to go a little farther away and go to Lancaster Archery.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/

I usually try to support local businesses (although I will NEVER set foot in Bowhunters Den, and its closest to me) but for outfitting brand new archers with affordable equipment that FITS them, there is NOBODY better than the guys at Lancaster. NOBODY...period. Especially with the kids.

Somebody else is going to mention Macrotech and a couple other locals but I can't stress enough that Lancaster is THE place for brand new archers.

I'll second or third Mt. Airy IWL for instructions/lessons.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    My recommendation is to go a little farther away and go to Lancaster Archery.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/

I usually try to support local businesses (although I will NEVER set foot in Bowhunters Den, and its closest to me) but for outfitting brand new archers with affordable equipment that FITS them, there is NOBODY better than the guys at Lancaster. NOBODY...period. Especially with the kids.

Somebody else is going to mention Macrotech and a couple other locals but I can't stress enough that Lancaster is THE place for brand new archers.

I'll second or third Mt. Airy IWL for instructions/lessons.

I'm in Eldersburg as well. May I ask why the avoidance of Bowhunters Den?

My youngest is getting more serious about archery, and the crappy kids boy he's been using has run it's course. I had a historical interest in longbows, so his interest has leaned that way as well. I have a couple of #60 bows that are still too big for him. I'd like to get him into something better and was considering stopping in at the Den.

My favorite bow is/was a #130@32 osage english war bow a guy in Hungary made and sent to me. Horn nocks and everything. Yew was too expensive at the time. I haven't even strung that thing in 10 years. It was brutal.

Not to hijack, but do any of the stores previously mentioned carry longbows? Or is it mostly recurve and compound?

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    IMO, the OP should head out to Izzak Walton "Explore archery" and gauge the kids excitement and equipment preferences first.

Kids may like compounds, him a recurve or any combination of this. He doesn't know what he's looking for yet and need a non-sales environment to learn first what he/they like first. Even picking a bow style leads to a lot of personal choices still.

September 10, 17, 24, October 1, 8, 15 (Mondays rain or shine)

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Honestly you should just look on Craigslist or yard sales for a low poundage recurve or long bow. Compounds have a lot of moving parts, and are more nuanced to shoot. Learn on a simple stick and string. Get the proper guards so the kids don't hurt themselves (the #1 reason kids stop an activity), find someone to point out the basics (IWL is a good one), and launch some arrows.

It's nice out...maybe I'll fire a few today as well.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    My son and I made PVC bows from a piece of 1" PVC and a few fiberglass rods from Lowes that are used as sign posts and to hold reflectors at the start of driveways. They end up close to a 40 pound long bow and only cost a few bucks to make. There are lots of websites and youtube videos to show you how. Might be something to think about in the beginning. That way if you find you don't like archery you're not out a lot of money.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    My son and I made PVC bows from a piece of 1" PVC and a few fiberglass rods from Lowes that are used as sign posts and to hold reflectors at the start of driveways. They end up close to a 40 pound long bow and only cost a few bucks to make. There are lots of websites and youtube videos to show you how. Might be something to think about in the beginning. That way if you find you don't like archery you're not out a lot of money.

Now that's some good stuff there. I bet your son loved making it as much as shooting it. Next wood bows. ;)

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    Wow, didn't expect this to blow up as much as it did. I totally forgot about the hunters den in Finksburg. I am only about 5 minutes from there. I will check them out this weekend.

I will check out the IWL too see what kind of bows they like and see their interest in shooting. I know they have enjoyed it with the boy scouts. I am more looking for something we can do in the back yard

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom