• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Not directed to you TD but,
    I may be way off base here but before this red flag law, there was no way for a spouse, close partner, family member, etc to report someone as a danger? What more does this new law do other than ... Firearms!?

I'm curious now, if a person tells authorities they believe their loved one is going to OD on opioids does the .gov do anything? Do they step in and take their drugs to save their life or do they need a new law to save lives in this fashion? My thought is, if they can then this same idea could have been used for weapons?? and before 1302 passed!

Why not an opioids red flag law? because ... firearms! and therefore my "marketing scheme" comment.
    ICBW
    No problem. I'm just pointing out that there will be people that will abuse the law. But like any other call for police service it has to have things done properly to have it executed. I don't support it. In fact I have pointed out areas of data that need to be collected, in order to defeat the law.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Sacrificing liberty for safety is never a good idea. Especially because the safety never actually shows up. Any law that can be abused, will be abused; which is why laws like this should have never been passed in the first place. Thinking a government or it’s officials won’t abuse every inch of power they get is like expecting an alcoholic not to raid your liquor cabinet when he house sits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I saw a squadron of MoCo police cars down the street last week. I wondered what was up. Yesterday I learned from the person whose house they were at.

This is my recollection of what I was told.

Police showed up at the front door, and on the deck at the rear of the house, demanding to be let in...

The person got 1302'd because she would not answer the phone. This was after an argument with the neighbor next door (said neighbor has been a jerk in my book for a long time). I believe it was the jerk neighbor's way of causing trouble. The neighbor claimed they thought the person was suicidal and wouldn't answer the phone, or something like that.

MoCo cops prowled and snooped all through the house asking if there were any guns present (no). At least one of the cops made several comments on how many nice things were in the house, "you must have a well paying job to afford all this". While all that is going on some "crisis intervention" person is trying to shuttle her into the police car to be taken to some facility to be "evaluated".

She kept refusing to go anywhere. They were there for a long time, but she refused to go with them. They eventually left empty handed. Her husband was out for a PTSD therapy session (Asian guy shot by his own troops in VN). She was glad he was not home when all this freaking BS went down.

So what the heck is the deal with the MoCo cops commenting on a person's private possessions? And what is the reason for all the pressure to go for an evaluation that no doubt would have cost them thousands of dollars?

It seems like the cops in that 1302 squadron have a vested interest in filling the rooms of the evaluation facilities. I've mostly had positive interactions with the MoCo police but it seems like someone has gone out of their way to assemble a squadron of jack-boot a-holes for the 1302 detail here. SB1302 is putting a whole new level of threat into the neighborhood feud situation.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I saw a squadron of MoCo police cars down the street last week. I wondered what was up. Yesterday I learned from the person whose house they were at.

Police showed up at the front door, and on the deck at the rear of the house, demanding to be let in...

The person got 1302'd because she would not answer the phone. This was after an argument with the neighbor next door (said neighbor has been a jerk in my book for a long time). I believe it was the jerk neighbor's way of causing trouble. The neighbor claimed they thought the person was suicidal and wouldn't answer the phone, or something like that.

MoCo cops prowled and snooped all through the house asking if there were any guns present (no). At least one of the cops made several comments on how many nice things were in the house, "you must have a well paying job to afford all this". While all that is going on some "crisis intervention" person is trying to shuttle her into the police car to be taken to some facility to be "evaluated".

She kept refusing to go anywhere. They were there for a long time, but she refused to go with them. They eventually left empty handed. Her husband was out for a PTSD therapy session (Asian guy shot by his own troops in VN). She was glad he was not home when all this freaking BS went down.

So what the heck is the deal with the MoCo cops commenting on a person's private possessions? And what is the reason for all the pressure to go for an evaluation that no doubt would have cost them thousands of dollars?

It seems like the cops in that 1302 squadron have a vested interest in filling the rooms of the evaluation facilities. I've mostly had positive interactions with the MoCo police but it seems like someone has gone out of their way to assemble a squadron of jack-boot a-holes for the 1302 detail here. SB1302 is putting a whole new level of threat into the neighborhood feud situation.

The bottom line is if you weren't there to witness what actually happened you really don't know that any of it happened that way. People frequently (as in almost always) tell a different side of reality when asked why police were at their house. (Especially if it's a neighbor)

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Neighbor is not supposed to be able to get a 1302...

Neighbor and family informing against neighbor and family with police taking guns and shuttling people off to evaluation facilities...

Sounds vaguely familiar...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    The bottom line is if you weren't there to witness what actually happened you really don't know that any of it happened that way. People frequently (as in almost always) tell a different side of reality when asked why police were at their house. (Especially if it's a neighbor)

I did not ask anything. I was just walking the dogs and got told the story in passing. But sure, the story gets twisted. That is why I started with the disclaimer that it was my recollection of what I was told.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I did not ask anything. I was just walking the dogs and got told the story in passing. But sure, the story gets twisted. That is why I started with the disclaimer that it was my recollection of what I was told.

Right but you automatically went here without having actually witnessed it yourself.....

"It seems like the cops in that 1302 squadron have a vested interest in filling the rooms of the evaluation facilities. I've mostly had positive interactions with the MoCo police but it seems like someone has gone out of their way to assemble a squadron of jack-boot a-holes for the 1302 detail here"

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    Can't say that I'm in the least bit surprised. We aren't even 2 months into this law taking effect and already there's rampant abuse by the left on this law. I just can't believe we are allowing this B.S. to stand. :mad54:
    There is nothing holding an accuser accountable for making false claims. This is a terrible bill! When are you guys going to realize that it's up to us to put a stop to this nonsense.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Can't say that I'm in the least bit surprised. We aren't even 2 months into this law taking effect and already there's rampant abuse by the left on this law. I just can't believe we are allowing this B.S. to stand. :mad54:
    There is nothing holding an accuser accountable for making false claims. This is a terrible bill! When are you guys going to realize that it's up to us to put a stop to this nonsense.

How do you know the neighbor wasn't a member of the John Birch Society about the be electrocuted by their own TV?

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    So is their anyway the law could end up in court by a person who was raided by the 1302 po po and really effected by this? If she refused to go along and their was no guns in the house then someone really screwed up big time. This law needs to end up in the courts as well.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

This is so funny...

Relate a story which is hearsay at best... and level accusations at folks you know nothing about. Using grandiose terminology for effect. Where does there exist any 1302 Squad? :lol2:

I hate this aberration of a law as much as any other member of the 2A community. But... can we not stir up a hornets nest with tin foil hat notions and overly dramatic renditions of other people’s experiences which we did not personally bear witness to? That’s really no different from the “neighbor calling in a false possible suicide call” to get the attention of the police.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    So is their anyway the law could end up in court by a person who was raided by the 1302 po po and really effected by this? If she refused to go along and their was no guns in the house then someone really screwed up big time. This law needs to end up in the courts as well.

We need to know if an ERPO was actually served on the neighbor. For all we know this was a “Check subject” or “Suicidal subject” swatting.

If an ERPO was issued based on a neighbor “thinking” a person may be suicidal and have guns, well that’s a complete abuse. Though the neighbor would still have to show that she was “harmed”. No guns taken and no involuntary trip to the hospital makes the “harm” part hard to satisfy. That being said, I’m not a lawyer either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    We need to know if an ERPO was actually served on the neighbor. For all we know this was a “Check subject” or “Suicidal subject” swatting.

If an ERPO was issued based on a neighbor “thinking” a person may be suicidal and have guns, well that’s a complete abuse. Though the neighbor would still have to show that she was “harmed”. No guns taken and no involuntary trip to the hospital makes the “harm” part hard to satisfy. That being said, I’m not a lawyer either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Received a couple of e-mail updates on this thread and was coming here to say exactly what you covered. The big question is IF an ERPO was served on the neighbor. There could have been several reasons the police were there, and an ERPO is just one of them. Maybe it was a welfare check, maybe it was a search warrant for something criminal, etc. Would the neighbor really want to say "the police were here executing a search warrant for drugs and paraphernalia"?

Do we have any concrete evidence as to why the police were there?

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Neighbor is not supposed to be able to get a 1302...

Neighbor and family informing against neighbor and family with police taking guns and shuttling people off to evaluation facilities...

Sounds vaguely familiar...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A neighbor is not able to get en ERPO. They can lie to the police and the police can go get one though.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-red-flag-law-requests-20181114-story.html

Just an update on the number of requests. I would have thought that PG would have lead the numbers. Just found the article on the BS website this morning.

interesting controversial comments...!!

Two Anne Arundel County police officers serving a red flag protective order to remove guns from a house killed Gary J. Willis, 61, of Ferndale after he refused to give up his gun and a struggle ensued last week, police said.

“I’m sure at least one life was saved,” said Jen Pauliukonis, president of Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence, of the gun seizures.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I have 4 cousins who are active LEO in MD. I love each of them dearly. None will ever be a part of my life again because of conversations regarding this law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom