• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    Given the fact that many now have been red flagged based on false accusations and the numerous violation of rights that are occurring I can't imagine how there won't be a class action lawsuit given the severity of what's happening to people out there. It appears that HIPPA laws are also being violated. Gun owners are indeed deemed a special class of citizen. Guilty until proven innocent! I've heard that the ACLU is paying close attention. There are indeed civil rights violations here.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    Given the fact that many now have been red flagged based on false accusations and the numerous violation of rights that are occurring I can't imagine how there won't be a class action lawsuit given the severity of what's happening to people out there. It appears that HIPPA laws are also being violated. Gun owners are indeed deemed a special class of citizen. Guilty until proven innocent! I've heard that the ACLU is paying close attention. There are indeed civil rights violations here.

The ACLU is an interesting group. It really boils down to are these civil rights violations they care about? If you can show that a number of minorities, or protected group individuals are being targeted unfairly then they might. But they are pretty much an anti gun group imho.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    Yeah I too wouldn’t rely on the ACLU to take action. They pick and choose. More just wondering if a class action lawsuit is inevitable.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Just remember, our (add your adjective) Lawmakers put in the clause that no one can be held liable for applying for one of these. What ever organization or group fights this will need very deep pockets. This is clearly an end run around the 2A and 4th Amendments.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Just remember, our (add your adjective) Lawmakers put in the clause that no one can be held liable for applying for one of these. What ever organization or group fights this will need very deep pockets. This is clearly an end run around the 2A and 4th Amendments.

And that’s exactly why it needs to be challenged.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    All I have is what I’m being told from people that have already been red flagged and from what law enforcement sources are telling me. Many of them I’m sure aren’t aware of mdshooters. I’ve encouraged people to come foward with their experiences but not sure they know where or how to do that. Many I’m sure are still fighting the uphill battle to get their property back. At the current rate of ERPOs being served out surely people will start coming forward. I’m willing to guess that many don’t even realize their rights are being violated. Does anyone know if anyone has refused to cooperate? I know there is a case in NJ where a child criticized the schools security and they came to try and seize the fathers gun. The father refused but agreed to relocate his firearms while they continued their investigation.

http://nj1015.com/nj-cops-came-to-confiscate-guns-after-son-discussed-school-safety-dad-says/

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    All I have is what I’m being told from people that have already been red flagged and from what law enforcement sources are telling me. Many of them I’m sure aren’t aware of mdshooters. I’ve encouraged people to come foward with their experiences but not sure they know where or how to do that. Many I’m sure are still fighting the uphill battle to get their property back. At the current rate of ERPOs being served out surely people will start coming forward. I’m willing to guess that many don’t even realize their rights are being violated. Does anyone know if anyone has refused to cooperate? I know there is a case in NJ where a child criticized the schools security and they came to try and seize the fathers gun. The father refused but agreed to relocate his firearms while they continued their investigation.

http://nj1015.com/nj-cops-came-to-confiscate-guns-after-son-discussed-school-safety-dad-says/

The only guy I heard about who refused to cooperate got shot for his troubles. I hope that’s not the SOP.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

From that link.....

“....and the precedent it sets for the use of coercive measures against individuals not because they are alleged to have committed any crime, but because somebody believes they might, someday, commit one.”

Such idiocy would never have been passed into law except for the fact there are so many rabidly anti-gun liberals who simply don’t care about citizens’ rights.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The MD chapter of the ACLU has shown in the past they are more interested in following the leftist dogma than worrying about people's rights. In their world, they pick and choose which Supreme Court civil rights cases they want to agree with and some amendments are more equal than others. The fact this law not only violates basic tenets of due process but also suppresses free speech through intimidation is of little concern to them I am sure, because the rights being suppressed are generally not those of liberals. I wouldn't count on them for anything.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

You have an impressive network. You can talk directly to several of the approximately less than 200 folks who have been "targeted" and too several LEO sources to gather your first hand knowledge of this. Not to mention you may or may not have sources in and around the ACLU.

For one member....that's an impressive Rolodex.

Odarlin1

Ultimate Member
    The MD chapter of the ACLU has shown in the past they are more interested in following the leftist dogma than worrying about people's rights. In their world, they pick and choose which Supreme Court civil rights cases they want to agree with and some amendments are more equal than others. The fact this law not only violates basic tenets of due process but also suppresses free speech through intimidation is of little concern to them I am sure, because the rights being suppressed are generally not those of liberals. I wouldn't count on them for anything.

While it is rare, the ACLU has taken up conservative causes. Most recently they filed on behalf of the Confederate Flag, The Tea Party and even Rush Limbaugh. Yes, it makes for strange bedfellows but it has taken up those causes

https://wapo.st/2Ad2MuA

I'm pretty sure they handle mostly Free Speech causes.

Last edited:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    You have an impressive network. You can talk directly to several of the approximately less than 200 folks who have been "targeted" and too several LEO sources to gather your first hand knowledge of this. Not to mention you may or may not have sources in and around the ACLU.

Hmmm... I was not going to say anything... But... now that you mention it. :rolleyes: It does seem a bit "all inclusive".

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    And that’s exactly why it needs to be challenged.

That's why it needs to be challenged in Federal court. MGA's "you can't touch us" protections built into the law are irrelevant there. I'll be standing by with popcorn for when a MD court tries to say "no" to a Federal District Court subpeona. The Clerk will be getting a visit from some nice US Marshalls.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad

You honestly believe that only 200 ERPO’s have been filed? Heck invest in a semi decent police scanner. Listen to what’s going on. I’m willing to bet it’s way more than 300 at this point. Not to mention that this has been going on for quite some time now they have just made the process official. They’ve been sued numerous times for illegally confiscating people’s guns before this bill was put into place. They’ve only legitimized it as of October. The ACLU themselves on their own website are saying that these laws are a very slippery slope. I agree they are! This is “Minority Report” level stuff here.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    You honestly believe that only 200 ERPO’s have been filed? Heck invest in a semi decent police scanner. Listen to what’s going on. I’m willing to bet it’s way more than 300 at this point. Not to mention that this has been going on for quite some time now they have just made the process official. They’ve been sued numerous times for illegally confiscating people’s guns before this bill was put into place. They’ve only legitimized it as of October. The ACLU themselves on their own website are saying that these laws are a very slippery slope. I agree they are! This is “Minority Report” level stuff here.

That's not the only thing I don't believe :innocent0

Again....I'm impressed...by your own statements...that you've found yourself so entangled with so many sides of this thing. It's impressive really. Regardless the number of ERPO's issued not even 3 months yet. You self admitted that you spoke to several folks who were "targeted"....I guess I'm in the wrong social circle that's all.

You didn't extend your window. You specifically said that were targeted by ERPO's.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    While it is rare, the ACLU has taken up conservative causes. Most recently they filed on behalf of the Confederate Flag, The Tea Party and even Rush Limbaugh. Yes, it makes for strange bedfellows but it has taken up those causes

https://wapo.st/2Ad2MuA

I'm pretty sure they handle mostly Free Speech causes.

I can't read the article (already had my three WaPo articles this month or whatever lol) but IMHO the MD chapter of the ACLU is not nearly so idealistic as many others. They tend to be straight up leftist dogmatists who do not agree with Heller and are also not interested in the freedom of conservative viewpoints.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    What is it called when there is a lawsuit challenging something that is done by the books / legally? In MD it is law and in that law no one can challenge another. Does a flagged person have to initiate something or does the powers that be (whoever that might be ) step in and “challenge”, then, how do they find out about such wrong doings? Is there no person that can be contacted? Just curious, because this isn’t going away.
    Hold on someone’s at your door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom