• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Thought you might like Jumping Jen's version of her overwhelming success in this session.
    28368f65f86a34fe2615e393e8308f22.jpg

She makes it sound like they got a win by adding a background check on loans. That could not be further from the truth. She is trying to give her folks some fake red soy-based meat.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    She makes it sound like they got a win by adding a background check on loans. That could not be further from the truth. She is trying to give her folks some fake red soy-based meat.
    I'm going make you sit in the corner with Mr H if you continue to state facts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thank you PP, MSI and everyone else who took an active roll in getting the message to the legislature. I’m glad there were patriots who could hit the bricks in Annapolis which is something I myself could not do this year. I sincerely appreciate your dedication and effort.

I am sending out thank you emails to my reps, even if they would have supported restrictive legislation. In my mind there is something psychologically different when you say thanks. They are expecting plenty of emails prior to legislation so I doubt they pay much attention to those. Maybe my message has a better chance to get to it’s intended recipient in the off season.

Next year is an election year so expect the worst. A lot depends on the general news climate in early 2020. A lot of things can influence what gets put on the table next year.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore

Another chip at her (their) credibility as the legislators know what was really passed. I would hope that the constant hyperbole, gnashing of teeth and wailing is beginning to wear on those who are on the fence.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Minor point - next year's elections are federal. The next statewide elections aren't until 2022.

Edited due to misquote.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    I got what sounds like exactly the same email from Del. Saab a couple days ago. Never heard a peep from Sen. Reilly, or, to nobody's surprise, Del. Bagnall. She's eventually going to come to the realization she's in a red district, and the only reason she won is that even conservatives wanted to be rid of McConkey last election and were willing allow her to replace him temporarily to do it.

Yeah, I didn't hear a peep from Sen. Reilly or Del. Bagnall either. Can't say I was surprised.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I cant help but wonder if it was the demorats plan to flood the mga with many 2A anti gun bills to distract us so they could have a easier time to pass the bill to repeal the handgun permit review board? I do not think they counted on us to fight as hard as we did to prevent every bill to become law. The crown jewel for them was the bill to repeal the board to grab power away from Hogan because he enjoyed a very high rating while in office including some democrat personal.

The number of bills this year was no different than in past years, I'm not even sure the number of "major issue" bills with regards to firearms was any greater than in past years.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You said it better than I did...it is a year round game.

I have said it before, and I will continue to remind folks....This is a 365 day a year contact sport, just because our elected officials are no longer in session in Annapolis DOES NOT mean that we stop working to advance/protect the 2A here in Maryland.

Next up will be the various district meetings so they can tell their constituents how successful they were this year. Now is the time for everyone to find those dates and locations for EVERY elected official that opposed us, and post them up. Start a new thread to do so, so we don't muck up this thread.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Great Summary.

I have a question, so please someone set me straight. I clearly do not understand the process.

If HB0096 and SB0346 were cross-filed, how is it that HB0096 is dead and SB0346 passed?

One does not need to pass for the other to become law.

Don't they both pass or is this saying that SB0346 passed in both the house and senate?:banghead:

No, they don't need to pass. Yes, HB0346 started in the House, passed and then went to the Senate where it went through the same process and passed. All bills need to pass both chambers to be sent to the Governor's desk.

There are other in the weeds details, but this is the high level detail that answers your question.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I think the Sheriff's coming to Annapolis with their message and how it was delivered sent a message to the MGA . It helped in a second guessing or a pause . IMHO

They deserve a large Thank You as well

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Good stuff!

I have been wondering if there is a tally kept on emails and phone calls, I am guessing no in order to claim plausible deniability? FOIA?

Call your Delegates and ask, I know of several offices, including my own Delegates that keep a tally of for/against contacts from constituents.

If they don't then ask them how they can vote on a bill and say they are representing the best interest and will of their constituents.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm actually shocked that this crap didn't get jammed down our throats, and it leaves me scratching my head trying to figure out why because I don't believe it was our efforts that got them shut down. The reason I think that is because it didn't make one lick of difference in 2013 when they foisted FSA2013 on us. We called, we emailed, we went to the Capitol, we protested, we testified, and it wasn't even close - they rammed that travesty through, and didn't even have the common courtesy to kiss us first.

There's got to be some other dealing going on under the table.

I will repeat what I have said before about FSA2013. We did make a difference, we made O'Malley, Miller, and Busch threaten members of their own party to get the bill passed out of joint committee. The fact that folks do not understand that, is why our numbers went way down in Annapolis after 2013 and why MOMS and MDPGV have grown in strength in Annapolis.

This year was a start to rebiuild, in a smart way, the numbers that showed up in 2013, and the effectiveness that those numbers had, and will have.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My guess would be that in 2013, the governor was pushing the agenda. Not as much pressure this year.

It was more than that in 2013, we were so effective, that we forced O'Malley, Miller, and Busch to have to threaten members of their own party to get the bill passed out of committee. No under table dealing at all, stright up threats to committee appointments and all discressionary spending in their respective districts.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So when their study figures out how illegal guns are making it into the wrong hands, they’ll come to their senses and leave the law abiding folks alone.
    :sarcasm:

We have been asking the MSP Gun Center to do this for the past several years, and they have always come back with "it's too hard and too time consuming." I really don't care who got the bill passed, now they have to do the work. The question now becomes, how detailed and effective will they be, or will they continue to drag their feet?

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    You know back when I got back into shooting, and joined here I used to look forward to each year when the GA session started for the chance they would finally make MD shall issue, now I hold my breath until they close the session hoping they don't strip away more of the 2A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom