• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Still plugging along with my Chinese Archery. Here is a clip of my newest bow. It is made by master bowyer Jaap Koppedrayer. It is one of my most prized possessions now. Enjoy

1a59be94f3bc313251ea96f3f055a0ac.jpg

5435d0a778b9125fef8ca8ebdda5ab5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    That is one beautiful bow. I have a similar interest in Mongolian bows that I haven't acted upon (to the extent you have) but, they're a joy to shoot and beautiful to look at. It doesn't take long to figure-out why the Huns practically conquered the entire Western world with that weapon. The design was way ahead of its time. It was compact enough to be operated from horseback, yet, generated significantly more power than other bows at the time. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    That is one beautiful bow. I have a similar interest in Mongolian bows that I haven't acted upon (to the extent you have) but, they're a joy to shoot and beautiful to look at. It doesn't take long to figure-out why the Huns practically conquered the entire Western world with that weapon. The design was way ahead of its time. It was compact enough to be operated from horseback, yet, generated significantly more power than other bows at the time. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don’t sleep on the Chinese and Japanese at that time either. Time and time again they defeated the Mongolian Hordes. China is steeped in Archery History and it was a huge part of the dynastic culture then. You couldn’t hold any type of political office without proving your proficiency with the bow. During the Ming Dynasty, “children’s bows” were 50#. With warbow weights beginning between 70 and 80 and going as far as 145#. They too were fierce horse back archers.

Either way though, Asiatic Archery Culture has become my biggest hobby now. The bows and designs are indeed beautiful!! You should definitely dig into it some!!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Don’t sleep on the Chinese and Japanese at that time either. Time and time again they defeated the Mongolian Hordes. China is steeped in Archery History and it was a huge part of the dynastic culture then. You couldn’t hold any type of political office without proving your proficiency with the bow. During the Ming Dynasty, “children’s bows” were 50#. With warbow weights beginning between 70 and 80 and going as far as 145#. They too were fierce horse back archers.

Either way though, Asiatic Archery Culture has become my biggest hobby now. The bows and designs are indeed beautiful!! You should definitely dig into it some!!

I think one of the reasons the Mongolian hordes eventually turned their attention West was because they had met their match in the East and were tired of getting their butts kicked. No one had encountered their brand of horse-based mobile warfare in the West and thus, had no effective strategy to defend against it. Amazing that Genghis Khan is still revered in Mongolia to this day, too.

I plan to start shooting a bow again at some point! Was pretty good at-it in my younger/thinner days and remember how enjoyable and satisfying it was.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    I think one of the reasons the Mongolian hordes eventually turned their attention West was because they had met their match in the East and were tired of getting their butts kicked. No one had encountered their brand of horse-based mobile warfare in the West and thus, had no effective strategy to defend against it. Amazing that Genghis Khan is still revered in Mongolia to this day, too.

I plan to start shooting a bow again at some point! Was pretty good at-it in my younger/thinner days and remember how enjoyable and satisfying it was.

It’s very therapeutic for me. Plus going up in bow weight is a good challenge! I’ve met a pretty awesome network of those who practice this archery too! I say go for it!

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    I'm concerned for the long term well-being of that lampshade.

Oh it’s days are numbered! I’m going to have to get a Rhino Block soon. I’m altering where I hit on that target to extend its longevity. Form practice on a Gaozhen is rough on the target. Especially when a 750 grain arrow is involved!

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I'm concerned for the long term well-being of that lampshade.

Oh it’s days are numbered! I’m going to have to get a Rhino Block soon. I’m altering where I hit on that target to extend its longevity. Form practice on a Gaozhen is rough on the target. Especially when a 750 grain arrow is involved!

I'm sure the wife is not around while your doing that inside :D

"Honey, what was that sound?" :ohnoes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom