• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    People keep saying this, but the bill does not actually specify a fee for registering your guns BEFORE the bill goes into effect. It is, presumably, just the free voluntary registration process we currently have.

Ok. Thanks.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    But the bill makes no mention of actual registration cost.

It also doesn’t mention if you purchased something on a 77r if you have to in effect register it again or how to find out if it is already registered. So a guessing game if you’d need to comply.

Also calibers that might be banned, but do I know? It says 7.62mm caliber for pistols as being banned and gives examples. But 7.62x25 isn’t mentioned. I suspect that would be banned in the end. But what about 7.62 Nagant or .30 luger? Those sure as shit aren’t “armor piercing” nor “rifle rounds” in a pistol. But they are “7.62mm caliber”.

These are all things I brought up in the emails to my representatives. No mention of how registration would be done, any initial cost associated with it, just that there's registration or fines/jail time. Are my stripped lowers registered or am I going to have the burden of reregistering them should it pass?

I also brought up how banning calibers at the State Polices discretion skips the legislative branch. Someone could comply with every BS feature requirement and somehow get an AR pistol built that was legal, only to have the police arrest you for it and then add the caliber to their list because in some very specific situation it might be able to defeat body armor. Shooting someone in the head with a 22LR while they are wearing body armor could constitute defeating body armor. The entire thing is BS and needs to be stopped.

One delegate wrote me back agreeing with my letter and stating the he will oppose all firearm bills that don't address crime. He suggested to have everyone in majority controlled districts email their representatives and to spread the word. In my letter I did ask that they share information about these bills on social media, town halls and daily interactions because there are thousands of gun owners who won't know about them.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    If this bill passes I'm leaving Maryland, and I'm taking about 50k/year in tax revenue with me. This state is run by a bunch of jackasses.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    So we write/call/testify in person. They weave sob stories about crimes unrelated to the bill. Facts, logic, and pointing out delegates are carrying water for a rich white male billionaire falls on deaf ears. There’s a small chance it gets killed in committee, but likely a slightly (or perhaps more) watered down version becomes law.

So it gets challenged in courts. Spends years in appeal, and finally SCOTUS declines to to hear it or maybe it get kicked down and get slightly more watered down.

We adjust. They do worse. Rinse. Repeat. It never ends.

Seriously...short of some miracle knockout punch from the courts, aren’t we just playing a losing game?

Maybe it’s the early evening whiskey, but maybe just let this crap through as is and hope it’s ripe for a SOCTUS Hail Mary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I want to see the head of MSP say with a straight face that this can be enforced

We need to have every pro2A senator and delegate ask him that question over and over when he is called to testify on these bills

"Given the rates of compliance in NZ, WA, CT, MA and Canada, how do you expect to enforce this here in MD?"

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I want to see the head of MSP say with a straight face that this can be enforced

We need to have every pro2A senator and delegate ask him that question over and over when he is called to testify on these bills

I doubt they’ll care. One of us here, one of us there. “Criminals” engaged in activity we have legally engaged in for decades. In the name of “public safety”.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I doubt they’ll care.

I have no doubt they don’t care. Once the Dems realized they could not get this done at the national level, they focused on the states. It was very smart - while the GOP may be winning in Chess, the Dems were playing Go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I doubt they’ll care. One of us here, one of us there. “Criminals” engaged in activity we have legally engaged in for decades. In the name of “public safety”.

I know the legislators don't care, but I want to see if he stands up there and lies and doesn't have any objections or negative comments. In the past MSP has been pretty honest about this kind of thing.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I am beginning to think the MGA is trying to kill me by giving me a fvcking stroke

These tyrannical commies are surely gonna be the death of me with these bills/ laws

The liberty tree needs watering bad in md

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    A correction to MSI’s summary. There is no stated cost to register. The $290 and increasing are civil fines if you FAIL to register by January 1, 2021.

The HB says you must own it by 10/1/2020. It must be registered by 1/1/2021. Failure to do so results in a fine upon registration of $290 starting 1/1/2021. It goes up in May of 2021 to November of 2022 to $580. And then again to finally end up being $1000 fine for voluntarily registering or being caught with one from November 2022 to May 2023.

After May 1, 2023 if you are caught with one, it is punishable by up to a year in prison.

PS nothing about the firearm being confiscated or being forced to register it if you are caught with it prior to 5/1/2023. Just know once that date is hit, you cannot legally possess it any more or register it.

It may be a bad assumption, but it is likely the current $10 fee to register as many firearms on a 77r as you’d like.

But the bill makes no mention of actual registration cost.

It also doesn’t mention if you purchased something on a 77r if you have to in effect register it again or how to find out if it is already registered. So a guessing game if you’d need to comply.

Also calibers that might be banned, but do I know? It says 7.62mm caliber for pistols as being banned and gives examples. But 7.62x25 isn’t mentioned. I suspect that would be banned in the end. But what about 7.62 Nagant or .30 luger? Those sure as shit aren’t “armor piercing” nor “rifle rounds” in a pistol. But they are “7.62mm caliber”.

Some manufacturers make pistol caliber loading that likely can or ARE known to penetrate at least IIa body armor and in a few cases IIIa. So does this mean all handguns in said caliber are now banned? Because that’ll probably only leave .45acp, 22lr, .38spc, 380 and .32acp.

So it’s initially a registration that will finally culminate in a ban come 5/1/2023? So we have 3 years to get rid of them - is that it?

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    People keep saying this, but the bill does not actually specify a fee for registering your guns BEFORE the bill goes into effect. It is, presumably, just the free voluntary registration process we currently have.

That's the way I am reading the bill too. the $290 fee does not kick in until January of 2021. If the bill passes on October 1, 2020 then that gives you 3 months for anyone that plan to comply to stay on the legal side of the law.

My question is this.... will the registration scheme be up and running in time to actually re-register our already legal firearms before January 1, 2021? Also, Since I filled out a 77r on a lot of guns anyway, do I still have to re-register them? Is the registration process going to be so swamped that it will be impossible to get them registered before January 1, 2021? This part if confusing to me.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    If this bill passes I'm leaving Maryland, and I'm taking about 50k/year in tax revenue with me. This state is run by a bunch of jackasses.

Your decision, but be aware, you're not taking any tax revenue with you. Someone else will buy your house and they will have similar income level and pay similar taxes.

Now, if you were to keep your house in Maryland, then you would deprive the state of income tax.

As for me, my wife and I plan (sometime) to leave here and the house will go to the kids (hopefully) who will not have any income = major major real estate tax credit.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    When I leave I'm going to come back as an illegal alien and get a bunch of free shit. The only problem is that I would need to live in this cesspool for at least another decade to recoup all my taxes I have paid over the years.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    So if this all passes...

1) If Im PCS-ing in summer of 2021 -> theres no reason to register anything? Or...

2) In the very rare chance, I move back, would it have made sense to register before Jan 2021?

3) What happens to people that move to the state after May 2023 having owned their toys before this all started?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom