• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    It's a license to learn in my opinion. This is a very deep and wide hobby / service.

To get the most out of it, you need to learn considerate operating habits, and know a little tech.

The question of hard or not doesn't really track for me. Surgery or a law license would be hard for me, since I have no prior training. If you have a tech background, you may see it as easy. I have seen determined people have to give it a few tries. There is a fair bit of memorizing on each of the three tests. The laws and regulations are not a thing you need to understand, just know.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Anyone know when the new Extra study guides will be available? The current ones only last until June. I want to start slowly studying for a next Fall test.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Thanks everyone. I ordered the ARRL manual and will start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Hamstudy.org has both the old and new material on there web. I used this web sight when I studied for all three test. Very good system

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    So, I got an SDRplay RSPdx a few weeks ago from HRO. I hooked it up to an HF loop antenna that I made and fired it up. It's been decades since I had a shortwave receiver to just listen with. This SDR is so much more than that! The SDRplay units use software called SDR Uno. After a bit of software earning curve, I figured out how to use it. Wow, there is so much noise out there. I did pick up some CW, which was fun for my 11 yr old to hear. Now if I only knew how to copy it!! What are some of your faves to monitor on HF? We also tuned in the local AM & FM radio stations pretty easily.

Fess Parkerized

Feb 27, 2013
    Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
    Baofeng Question, VFO A and VFO B Synchronization

A question for MDS hams who are familiar with Baofeng radios.

I own a Baofeng UV-82 HP radio and the question is about VFO A and VFO B. I have done due diligence searching for answers on the web and in the printed and online manuals and have been unable to find the answers.

I have notoriously fat fingers and have hit both A and B PTT buttons simultaneously a few times and messed things up with my transmission. Many websites note that VFO A and VFO B may be synchronized so that the radio functions as having a single VFO, however none stated how to accomplish this. Does anyone know the setting in the software that I should change to synchronize VFO A and VFO B to the same frequency?

Thanks, all!

Charlie, KC3OJR, General Class

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    A question for MDS hams who are familiar with Baofeng radios.

I own a Baofeng UV-82 HP radio and the question is about VFO A and VFO B. I have done due diligence searching for answers on the web and in the printed and online manuals and have been unable to find the answers.

I have notoriously fat fingers and have hit both A and B PTT buttons simultaneously a few times and messed things up with my transmission. Many websites note that VFO A and VFO B may be synchronized so that the radio functions as having a single VFO, however none stated how to accomplish this. Does anyone know the setting in the software that I should change to synchronize VFO A and VFO B to the same frequency?

Thanks, all!

Charlie, KC3OJR, General Class

I don't have the answer you are looking for, but with my 5VR I use the hand mike with a push to talk button, makes it very handy to work.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    With the UV5R and like radios you can select the same frequency/tone/offset or the same memory location for VFO A and VFO B. I don't know if that is what they mean by sync'd but if the UV 82 can do it, it would seem like if you did that and hit B meaning to hit A you would still be on the correct frequency/tone/offset. If you hit both...? Race condition?

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    For those that don't know, the UV-82HP uses two PTT buttons where the UV3/5 has only one button. The idea is PTT A transmits on VFO A, while PTT B transmits on VFO B. I think Charlie is looking how to make VFO B follow A so he doesn't accidentally transmit on the wrong frequency by hitting the wrong PTT.

Sorry, Charlie, I don't know the answer.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Ah, a clue:
    Dual PTT Synchronization
    The UV-82HP comes with the Dual PTT key enabled, but the UV-82HP software has added a new
    option that allows locking the Dual PTT Button to simulate a Single PTT and override the Dual
    PTT feature. By Pressing the EXIT/AB button, you can still switch the selected upper/lower
    display. Note: A programming cable is required to run the software; the BaoFeng Tech FTDI cable
    is recommended
    From Chapter 9 here: https://baofengtech.com/usermanual/UV82HP_Manual_ReducedSize.pdf

They offer Chirp on their software page, so it may be built into Chirp now:
    https://baofengtech.com/download

Chirp is great stuff, I donate $5 every time i use it to program a new radio. :D
    https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Fess Parkerized

Feb 27, 2013
    Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for your replies, Boxcab, K31, and TapRackBang.

I will take a closer look at Chirp and the Baofeng programs tonight:

Ah, a clue:
    From Chapter 9 here: https://baofengtech.com/usermanual/UV82HP_Manual_ReducedSize.pdf

They offer Chirp on their software page, so it may be built into Chirp now:
    https://baofengtech.com/download

Chirp is great stuff, I donate $5 every time i use it to program a new radio. :D
    https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Thanks, Charlie!

Fess Parkerized

Feb 27, 2013
    Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
    Well, I couldn't open "Properties" for the radio in CHIRP tonight, don't know what the bug is. Also, I couldn't figure out the right combination of check boxes in "Options" with the Baofeng software. The abbreviations are pretty cryptic.

I did discover that if I use my single PTT speaker/mic the radio stayed in VFO B with transmission. When using the speaker/mic in VFO A, the radio switched back and forth from VFO A to VFO B with each transmission. So using the single button PTT speaker/mic with the radio in VFO B will be a fix.

That's enough for tonight. I'll update if I ever can figure out how to synchronize VFO A and VFO B with programming software.

Thanks again, all! :thumbsup:

Charlie

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    I got my manual today. Hopefully I’ll be able to understand the above replies soon. Lol

Can anyone suggest a good hand held radio once I pass my test and get my license?

Last edited:

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Can anyone suggest a good hand held radio once I pass my test and get my license?
    My first ham radio was a Yaesu FT-60R. I do recommend it for being an HT. I do not recommend it if you think your going to try to operate from your vehicle while driving to work. Yes, it is possible but the controls were just too much of a pain.

But if your looking for a good HT the FT-60r is a good choice.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Completely agreed. You could do far worse than the Yaesu FT-60R. That said, I would recommend a mobile for your first rig. You can run it at home too, and attach a proper antenna.

If you have $100, spend $99 on the antenna, and $1 on the radio. A good antenna at 30 feet trumps a great VHF / UHF rig with a crappy antenna.

Here is a shocking cheap, and effective antenna you can build yourself:

https://www.essexham.co.uk/slim-jim

My first ham radio was a Yaesu FT-60R. I do recommend it for being an HT. I do not recommend it if you think your going to try to operate from your vehicle while driving to work. Yes, it is possible but the controls were just too much of a pain.

But if your looking for a good HT the FT-60r is a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom