Anyone ever see this on a Mossberg receiver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    It almost looks like where it is worn, to be polished, or chrome underneath?

Is the "bluing" just that bad, back in the day, or is this poor old shottie just been beat to hell and back? lol.

It's an old Mossberg 500.

Attachments

• mossy 500 aaa.jpg
      mossy 500 aaa.jpg
      12.8 KB · Views: 492
    • mossy 500.jpg
      mossy 500.jpg
      39.3 KB · Views: 501

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Hey Bob, my guess would be the receiver is aluminum that was anodized black similar to the Winchester 120, 1200 and 1300. Just a guess though.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Looks like an old gun that rode around in a trunk for awhile and now has a new barrel/front end and stock... making the receiver look, old.

I'd strip it down and get a nice flat black baked on finish done (myself or professional). Make it match.

Last edited:

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I think I will try to refinish it, and find some "cop" wood furniture for it.

I have a friend of my son's who does powdercoating, but think that would be too thick.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Answer #1 - It has character , enjoy it as is .

Answer # 2 - Brownells make Alumablack for just this purpose . Won't be mistaken for brand new , but would look 100% better from 3 feet away for cheap ( probably under $20, but didn't price check .

Answer #3 - High tech miracle finish . Will be better than new, but cost more than the going price of an older used complete gun.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Leave it that way. Put a beat to hell Cop stock on it. Keep it functional, but let her look like what she is. Much cooler that way.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Nice heat shield, that'll come in handy when your going through 50 rounds a minute and the fore end has melted off so it's all you have left to hold on to. Mossberg... hahaha

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    Answer #1 - It has character , enjoy it as is .

Answer # 2 - Brownells make Alumablack for just this purpose . Won't be mistaken for brand new , but would look 100% better from 3 feet away for cheap ( probably under $20, but didn't price check .

Answer #3 - High tech miracle finish . Will be better than new, but cost more than the going price of an older used complete gun.

I like #1

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    It almost looks like where it is worn, to be polished, or chrome underneath?

Is the "bluing" just that bad, back in the day, or is this poor old shottie just been beat to hell and back? lol.

It's an old Mossberg 500.

Two Questions.....

1). Is that a shock absorbing butt stock ??
    2). What heat shield is it and was there any issues installing it ??

Thanks!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    My son wanted to use my m500 to take back to base so he could do some turkey hunting. Anyway I let him do it and then one day he calls me up as says one of his bud's from the aarmory says what the Fou[oks the matter with that gun? He let him see it and he told me the guy says holy Fu*5 its worn so brite On that part of the barrel I thought it was chromed.
    I just laughed and asked what you tell him he said I told Him give me that CLP Im afraid if it gets rust on it might mess it up or something.
    I guess the two of them didnt notice where the trigger bow was fiberglassed back on from lighting slugs off when I used a burned out combine for a rest one time about 25 or 30 years ago.
    Later on he got popped for being to close to a LZ and i said what you get? worried about the plug thats never been in it but he didnt get checked for that just a one year restriction if he would have lost my gun I ould have to kill him.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Mossberg make their receivers out of aluminum. That looks like a cop Gun where it was locked into the rack in their car.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Two Questions.....

1). Is that a shock absorbing butt stock ??
    2). What heat shield is it and was there any issues installing it ??

Thanks!

1. Butt Stock: It is a lot nicer than all the generic AR15 and AR "style" stocks, but it's not a shock absorbing one.
    2. Heat Shield: I did not install it, but it simply slides on and has 4 small screws on a clamshell clamp that hold it tight at the front part of it.

I just bought an older , slightly beat up wood stock and corn cob forend for it, which I think will only add to the old cop gun look.

Will probably swap the heat shield and adjustable stock onto my 20" barreled Maverick.

Attachments

• mossy wood furniture.jpg
      mossy wood furniture.jpg
      29.3 KB · Views: 177

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It's not bluing...aluminum is anodized and anodizing doesn't have the durability of bluing...and bluing isn't all that durable itself. That's simply the anodizing wearing off with good, honest use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom