• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    People can't always shoot off a rest. Shooting off a rest doesn't tell you what you need to do to improve. Very rarely are sights even an issue. It's 99.9% operator error.

For me it helps tell me if my sights are off, or if I suck. I had an adjustable rear sight on my 1911 that would drift. I could never tell if it was me or the gun, the rest answered that question. You can use a rear sand bag those are pretty ubiquitous. I inherited a rest that has a cushioned clamp that is adjustable. I ended up getting some Novaks for the 1911 and it shoots more or less where I want. I can hit in the -0 on an IDPA target at 30' consistently.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah that would depend on the pistol. My Hi power is the only gun that points perfectly for me. I don't practice enough with any other gun to go no sights reliably.
    It's 10 yards. A warped barrel would probably hit that circle at that distance. Me thinks that you have an over thinking issue about sight alignment. A child could pick up any of your pistols, point it straight out in front of them and hit that.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I have found that having a smith sight handguns in means that the gun is sighted in "to his eyes and finger"

better to get the tool and bench it yourself.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    It's 10 yards. A warped barrel would probably hit that circle at that distance. Me thinks that you have an over thinking issue about sight alignment. A child could pick up any of your pistols, point it straight out in front of them and hit that.

Mmmkay...

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I'm not sure what is up with Sig ? I bought a p210 the other day new. took it shooting yesterday. it shot 18 inches to the left at 15 yards. my gunsmith was there with a ransom rest and verified it was out . so I gave it to him to take back to the shop and adjust it. when I worked at Beretta we test fired every gun . If it shot anywhere out of the norm , it was adjusted and shot Straight before it ever left the door. think this will be my last Sig, not for just this reason. I have bought a few other of there guns over the past 10 years . I have several MCX versions, and I can't get parts for them anymore. when I call they say they don't have those parts anymore and don't support that platform anymore.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

B229
    I generally couldn't hit the water with a pistol if I fell out of a boat.

I also don't shoot them very often but do occasionally.

10-15 yards at our pistol range I can still hit those little metal gong targets that are like 8" fairly regularly at 15 yards without even using the sights. (some of the gongs are larger- smaller and suspended at about chest height so you can do a run on them which is fun.

And yes, I miss a lot too but rarely at an extreme margin because you can see the impact on the berm.

When I start aiming I get less than 50% hits unless its one of those metal targets that are shaped like a persons body but maybe only the size of a small person at 15-20 or 25 which may put me under the awning they have there.

It's too easy to start becoming over critical when you overthink it or try to continually correct your hold I think for someone who does not practice correctly or hasn't taken the time to investigate or deliver a certain amount of dedication to improvement.

The sight radius is so short for the pistols I happen to shoot, unless I choose to use a rest the sights are relatively useless to me. I kind of just see them as crude means of alignment I just sort of look past them or use the entire silhouette of the rear part of the gun to make a hit.

If I can see the side of the slide clearly, or like the top forward edge of the grip panel or something for a fraction of a second I know its miss if I pull the trigger.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I consistently shoot low left. Last week I started dry firing with my eyes closed. Might sound silly, but my objective is to build muscle memory without jerking the trigger when sight is on bull. Sunday I punched the bull in the nose (eyes open). I may or may not be on to something.

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    Anyone know a gun smith in MD capable of drifting and sighting in this pistol? I called Sig - the only thing they do is install new sights. Thanks.

I have the tool. if you don't mind making the trip down to Hollywood, MD, this weekend, then i'll drift it for you. in fact, we can drift it and have you fire it to get it just right for you. bring your own ammo of course since its scarce these days. no charge on the drifting.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I have the tool. if you don't mind making the trip down to Hollywood, MD, this weekend, then i'll drift it for you. in fact, we can drift it and have you fire it to get it just right for you. bring your own ammo of course since its scarce these days. no charge on the drifting.

Really appreciate the kind offer. Things are a little unsettled right now. If I may, I’ll keep your offer in mind for perhaps a later time frame. Again, thanks. Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom