• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    This how pathetic I can be at my worst; a month + ago, I picked up an old set of Choate pistol grip stock and forearm intended for the Remington 1100 at a price such that (no, I don't believe I've EVER owned a Rem 1100, thank you very much for asking), I couldn't pass it up.
    'Cause, you never know when you might blunder into a good deal on an 1100, and now I have the stock/forearm I'd want on it already, now doesn't that start to make sense? No? Oh well...

That alone wouldn't normally push me into looking harder for that 1100 I need to complete my 1100 HD project, HOWEVER, when we returned from a trip, the wife asked where the Beretta 1201 that I kept in the bedroom full of 000 buck was? So I dug it out of the safe, familiarizing myself with it's manual of arms, and realized in a panic, I doubt I'd remember that cycling the bolt does not chamber a round, like the 1100 or a pump would. Bottom line, I might consider moving my beloved 1201 along, IF I can manage to build an 1100 around this "almost free" stock & forearm I came into.

So, tell me, what are the things to watch for in a used 1100? Which model is MOST likely to be able to feed 2.75" buckshot, standard or magnum loads reliably? I'm guessing I should stay away from any 3" chambered gun, as those were intended solely for 3" mag loads, and may not cycle well with a lessor load?
    Any input would be appreciated.

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    I thought there was a model of choate pistol grip stock that fit the 870/1100/1187 family. if so, would you rather mount it to an 870 pump shotgun and not deal with the 1100 semi-auto just in case it doesn't cycle?

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I thought there was a model of choate pistol grip stock that fit the 870/1100/1187 family. if so, would you rather mount it to an 870 pump shotgun and not deal with the 1100 semi-auto just in case it doesn't cycle?
    No, I have a 590A1 & a Shockwave, just recall the “cool” 1100s in the early days of semi-auto tactical shotguns, thought I may make a project out of making one as inexpensively as I can.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Since the Remington 1100 does not have a self compensating system, you need to decide what shells you want to use and buy the right barrel.

For example, if you have a sporting barrel and shoot heavy loads, it will function but the receiver and internals will get beat up.

If you have a field barrel, lighter loads may not function reliably.

What load to use with what barrel has to do with the number and diameter of the gas ports in the barrel as well as the barrel length.

Cutting an 1100 barrel may or may not work reliably.

Since your stated use is for HD, you will need to decide what barrel length you want and buy that. Remington makes, or made an 1100 tactical. I think it had an 18.5 inch barrel. There are also 21 inch barrels that are or were made.

I love the Remington 1100 but as a defensive shotgun, there are challenges. Google ‘AIPPI Remington 1100’. He has posts on different forums with good practical information about the 1100 in a defensive role.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I have two Rem 1100's, one with the stock wood stock set up for multigun and a second one with the choate pistolgrip stock and forearm you bought. There's no problem shooting 2 3/4" shells, since I've shot these with slugs, buckshot, and birdshot and never had problems with cycling. The wood stock gun has a 24" plain barrel with a 2 3/4" chamber. The second one with the Choate stock has a 26" vent-rib barrel with a 2 3/4" chamber. Both can shoot birdshot, slugs, and buckshot with no problems. There are thousands of 1100's out there and it shouldn't be too hard to find one on gunbroker.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    If you ever get up to Littletons (Bishopville MD(410) 352-3446) he has 4 or 5 in the shop. Well, last week he did.

Good luck!

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I have a magnum and it would cycle any high brass load i fed it. The only thing it wouldnt cycle was low brass target loads. I wanted mine for trap shooting so I first looked for a ventilated rib non-magnum barrel for a good price and cold never find one so I drilled a second gas port and it cycles anything. If I ever want to go back to high brass I'll thread and plug the 2nd hole.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    If you ever get up to Littletons (Bishopville MD(410) 352-3446) he has 4 or 5 in the shop. Well, last week he did.

Good luck!

Good to know they are still out there.
    I have one missed 1100 story; the place where I am one again "employed" two days a week, years ago I worked there, and for months had sat a lonely 1100 standard 2 3/4 gun, 26" with fixed choke, light hunting wear, my price would have been about $200 or so. I finally made up my mind and was going to whip out some paperwork and take it home end of the day.
    4:30 rolls around, guy comes in, we're chatting, he asks to see "that shotgun". "Oh you mean this one?" I point to the one beside it, "no, that one" I point to the one on yonder side, "no, in between those". I know how my luck runs, I just went over and pulled a set of forms for him...

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Dearly LOVE the Remington 1100!!!!

I own two.

First one, is a 1983 model "Magnum" that I bought new. Paid $354.00 for it, at "Best Products" in Lanham.

I bought it for goose hunting.
    30" full choke, VR. 3" chamber. The barrel is marked "Full" choke, but, it's actually choked "Extra Full" according to Roland Jorgensen's choke gauge, at the old "Accokeek Sports" gunshop.
    (Roland offered me $400 for the barrel, alone!)
    I bought it because my neighbor and hunting partner had one, and it "fit" me.

Mine would shoot and cycle ANYTHING that I ran through it.

My friend's 1100 Magnum would ONLY cycle 2-3/4" heavy loads, or 3" shells.

I put a Hastings 24", 2-3/4" barrel w/ choke tubes on my 1100, and the 30" tube has sat in the back of the safe, since '85.

A few years ago, I went to a friend's house to help him with his race car.
    He and I got to talking, and he wanted to get rid of a safe, and some guns.

He tried to sell me his grandfather's Purdy and his Dad's '55 model Browning Superposed.
    I didn't have (and still don't!) the kind of money he wanted for either/both.

Then, he removed from the safe, a 1972 model Remington 1100. 2-3/4" barrel. Plain (no VR). Modified choke.
    He said that he hadn't shot it in at least 25 years.
    It was BEAUTIFUL on the outside, and FILTHY on the inside!

He said, "I have to buy some parts, and I gotta get a hundred dollars for this."

"SOLD!!!"

I almost tore a muscle, getting my wallet out of my pocket!!!!!!

I cleaned it up, and ordered parts from Remington, and made my own "1100 Competition Master" Clone.

I ordered all of the parts that I needed and instead of the GRAY stock and forend, I put a Speedfeed pistol-grip shoulder stock and forend on it.

22" barrel. VR. Choke tubes. 2-3/4" chamber.

This scattergun SHOOTS!!!!!!!!!

I've since taken the pistol grip stock off of it, and put a conventional Speedfeed stock on.

The Parts List (attached photo) has the Remington Parts #s. This list is several years old, and I'm quite certain that the prices (and availability of parts) has changed.

IF I only changed/added one part to EVERY 1100, it would be the Competition Master Carrier Assembly.
    Wow!!!!!!!!!! What a difference! Instead of a hard PUSH to release the latch (to load), you "TOUCH" the release, now!!!!!!

The photo of the wood-stocked 1100 is my 1100 Magnum w/ Hastings 24" tube.
    NEITHER of my 1100s will ever be sold.
    My first wife accused me of loving that 1100 Magnum, more than I loved her. (Kinda ironic. I still have the 1100 Magnum. She's somebody else's problem.)

:)

Attachments

• 1100CompetitionMasterclonepartslist.jpg
      1100CompetitionMasterclonepartslist.jpg
      106.5 KB · Views: 290
    • 1100CMCloneII.jpg
      1100CMCloneII.jpg
      46.8 KB · Views: 276
    • 1983Rem1100Magnum.jpg
      1983Rem1100Magnum.jpg
      12.3 KB · Views: 520

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    I’ve got 2 1187, the follow on of the 1100, with many shared parts.

From standard production to doing something that requires higher mag capacity and rapid reloading, the two biggest things I’d be concerned with are the extended mag tube and the easier mag lifter release.

The standard release ?button?tab? on the lifter is the one thing that slows reloading. There are aftermarket parts that can address that. Not sure of the cost of those, but google will guide you.

Regarding barrels, I’d stick with factory stuff, either Remington or other vendor, as opposed to cutting stuff down myself. That’s just me. If you do your own cutting, just ensure that things still work reliably after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom