• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I know there was a thread on this topic somewhere, but I can't seem to dredge it up using the search feature.....

Does anyone know of an off the shelf retention holster that will fit the Poly 80 V2 Glock frames..?? I have several different brands on hand but the Poly 80 frames simply won't fit, and I do not want to dremel down the frame or trigger guard like I know some people have tried to do.

My Google Fu has failed me on this, and the only options seem to be Kydex versions, which i'm not crazy about, but i'm starting to think it might be the only option. I tried calling Poly 80 yeasterday to see if they might know something, but I couldn't get thru. Guess i'll try again on Monday.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... :thumbsup:

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I bought an Orpaz retention holster for Glock off of eBay. I had to do some sanding inside of the holster, but my poly80 Full size fits perfectly.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I bought an Orpaz retention holster for Glock off of eBay. I had to do some sanding inside of the holster, but my poly80 Full size fits perfectly.

Thanks, i'll check those out

Like where inside, and how much sanding, and are we talking sandpaper or a dremel or what..??

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Thanks, i'll check those out

Like where inside, and how much sanding, and are we talking sandpaper or a dremel or what..??

It’s been a few years, so I don’t remember exactly where, but when I get home I’ll take a look at it. I can send pictures too. I don’t think I spent more than an hour or two doing it. I remember starting with a course file, then wrapping the file with 60 grit, then 80, then 120. It was a little tedious but wasn’t terrible with a few beers to help :)

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    It’s been a few years, so I don’t remember exactly where, but when I get home I’ll take a look at it. I can send pictures too. I don’t think I spent more than an hour or two doing it. I remember starting with a course file, then wrapping the file with 60 grit, then 80, then 120. It was a little tedious but wasn’t terrible with a few beers to help :)

Thank you, I very much appreciate your offer. Feel free to PM me if you prefer, or you can post the pics and info here. Either way works for me.

I found their website and this is the one i'm looking at.... https://www.orpazdefense.com/eng/index.php/makes/glock/orpaz-gkr-thumb-holster-paddle

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    BDAAA2B9-1A8F-454A-8504-D19CBAD0DE2D.jpg

61278026-51FD-474E-9777-93C4B6239FF9.jpg

CF78059D-468F-476A-9200-511279E6857A.jpg

19446E31-90ED-4720-B058-31EE3F305AE7.jpg

It’s a little hard to show in the pictures. The camera makes the surface appear a lot rougher than it actually is. I cut the round grooves (circled in red) with an aggressive round file. The gun fits very well and the retention adjustment works well also. I now remember that the main part of this was cutting the grooves in the bottom 1” of the holster. I have been pleased, and I use it often (not EDC) and have no holster wear on the gun.

Let me know of any more help I can be or if you want pictures of a specific area.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    It’s a little hard to show in the pictures. The camera makes the surface appear a lot rougher than it actually is. I cut the round grooves (circled in red) with an aggressive round file. The gun fits very well and the retention adjustment works well also. I now remember that the main part of this was cutting the grooves in the bottom 1” of the holster. I have been pleased, and I use it often (not EDC) and have no holster wear on the gun.

Let me know of any more help I can be or if you want pictures of a specific area.

Thanks, that should be very helpful. I ordered 2 from Amazon, I had some rewards points I could use, so the two of them ran me $45 delivered which I thought was a pretty good deal. These are made in Israel so the quality should be top shelf, and they will fit G19/23 and G17/22.

So I assume based on the pics that you are a lefty..??

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Thanks, that should be very helpful. I ordered 2 from Amazon, I had some rewards points I could use, so the two of them ran me $45 delivered which I thought was a pretty good deal. These are made in Israel so the quality should be top shelf, and they will fit G19/23 and G17/22.

So I assume based on the pics that you are a lefty..??

Yea, I think the quality is pretty good. It just took a little patience with making the poly80 fit perfect, but IMO it was well worth it.

Lefty, yep, I got the curse:lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you have a heat gun, that can be a big help.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    If you have a heat gun, that can be a big help.

You know, now that you say that, I think I might have used a soldering iron to get the groove started and then a round file to “clean it up”. It’s been three years ago and I’m trying my best to recall what I did. That kydex is tough stuff but I have a hard head, I don’t like being beat!

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    You know, now that you say that, I think I might have used a soldering iron to get the groove started and then a round file to “clean it up”. It’s been three years ago and I’m trying my best to recall what I did. That kydex is tough stuff but I have a hard head, I don’t like being beat!

Not that it necessarily matters all that much for heating purposes, but the Orpaz is made of "Nylon 6 Polymer" according to their website.

I was fiddling around with all my different Glock holsters yesterday, and I found out quite by accident that my Poly 80 V2 full size frame fits perfectly in a Scorpion Tactical retention holster designed for the Glock 21, it slides in like butter and locks tight just like it was made for it. My V2 compact frame has a Lone Wolf custom stainless slide, and it does fit but it's rather tight, so there must some slight dimensional differences versus a Glock factory slide. I am going to do some filing on the Scorpion G21 holster and see if I can loosen it up a bit with the V2 compact..

Thanks again for the tips and info on the Orpaz holsters, I ordered from Amazon so they should get here in just a few days.

Attachments

• Holster.jpg
      Holster.jpg
      83.6 KB · Views: 123

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    I bought a BladeTech Classic for my OEM G19 and it works fine with my P80 G17 as well. Just had to loosen up the retention screws a little bit.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Not that it necessarily matters all that much for heating purposes, but the Orpaz is made of "Nylon 6 Polymer" according to their website.

I was fiddling around with all my different Glock holsters yesterday, and I found out quite by accident that my Poly 80 V2 full size frame fits perfectly in a Scorpion Tactical retention holster designed for the Glock 21, it slides in like butter and locks tight just like it was made for it. My V2 compact frame has a Lone Wolf custom stainless slide, and it does fit but it's rather tight, so there must some slight dimensional differences versus a Glock factory slide. I am going to do some filing on the Scorpion G21 holster and see if I can loosen it up a bit with the V2 compact..

Thanks again for the tips and info on the Orpaz holsters, I ordered from Amazon so they should get here in just a few days.

I stand corrected, my orpaz is polymer, not kydex.

That’s good info about the Scorpion Tactical G21 holster. I might have to get one.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    OP, it sounds like you found a solution.

But, when you asked about a retention holster, did you mean Active Retention or Passive Retention?

If Active, I believe that TR Holsters may be one of the only options at the moment:

http://trholsters.com/glock-19-p80-polymer80-ddo-duty-drop-offset-kydex-holster/

I'm not really up on the all terminology, but the Scorpion holster pictured above, the Orpaz, and my various Israeli Military Industries retention holsters are all "Level II", but i'm not sure if that means they are active or passive.

I'm not a fan of the holsters like the Blade Tech models (I've had several) that rely on screw tension on rubber bushings to achieve a measure of "retention", because if someone gets a good hold on the handgrip of your pistol they can pull it right out of the holster.

That's not going to happen with a Level II retention holster unless they depress the release button, and the Orpaz takes that a step further by putting a thumb release on the inside of the holster, ie. the side facing your body, and that's going to make it even more difficult for a determined assailant to get hold of your gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom