• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It is either a Remington Rand or Ithaca frame with a Union switch slide on it. RR or Ithaca depends on serial number. FJA was for either RR or Ithaca, if it was a US&S frame it would have RCD inside a circle in the same spot. Still a nice acquisition with CMP provenance.

Serial is 203xxxx so it seems to be a Remington Rand frame from 1944.

[EDIT] ok - I get it now. CMP put a tag on the pistol and it has the make of the slide and the make of the frame;
    S - US&S (slide Union Switch & Signal)
    F - RR (frame Remington Rand)

I'm a little slow :)

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I *THINK* this is what's left of the crossed cannons on the frame right side of the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_0859.jpg
      IMG_0859.jpg
      119.9 KB · Views: 475

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    if you just got the call on the 16th, we should have pictures by now ....:tap:

its at the dealer now, I will have it next week. I will say while its a nice gun, im not Impressed. Its a Reparked 1944 Rand but its heavly reparked so its hard to make out Remington Rand. IMO the pistol i traded you years ago was a nicer pistol far as collecting goes. Maybe i just expected too much? Ill post it when i bring it home. I have 5 pistols at the shop to pick up next week

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Mine is apparently a Union Switch & Signal 1911A1; FWIW.

I snapped this close-up

FJA is Frank J. Atwood. "Found on Remington Rand and Ithaca 1911A1s (entire production)." So this is an Remington Rand frame? I really am not an expert on the finer details of a 1911A1.

It is either a Remington Rand or Ithaca frame with a Union switch slide on it. RR or Ithaca depends on serial number. FJA was for either RR or Ithaca, if it was a US&S frame it would have RCD inside a circle in the same spot. Still a nice acquisition with CMP provenance.

if you figure it out to be a Ithaca and decide you want to swap slides I have a Nice Ithaca slide and i could use a US&S slide for a lower i have. Just message me if so

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Nice. I took mine out, but it kept choking on the Blazer Aluminum ammo. I didn't have brass to try, but I think it was the aluminum hanging up on the barrel feed ramp.

It would go bang, but it would get stuck feeding into the barrel. I pulled the slide back about a 1/4", and it would go into battery everytime and go bang. It may be the mag that came with it, but I forgot to grab a more modern mag to check.

Oh well, I'll have to get back out and test again.:D

Q

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    If you would decide to part with the frame let me know.....

Nah I'm gonna keep that and throw a slide on it. I have a blued US&S slide here but would rather have one I could just throw on.
    I have to repark my mac10 since I had fo fix the front holes on it so I will prob strip and repark that slide as well.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Here is some of my rand from the cmp

Attachments

• IMG_20200824_190709_586.jpg
      IMG_20200824_190709_586.jpg
      137.3 KB · Views: 545
    • IMG_20200824_190709_571.jpg
      IMG_20200824_190709_571.jpg
      156.4 KB · Views: 559
    • 20200912_152823.jpg
      20200912_152823.jpg
      86.3 KB · Views: 550
    Jul 1, 2012
    Nice. I took mine out, but it kept choking on the Blazer Aluminum ammo. I didn't have brass to try, but I think it was the aluminum hanging up on the barrel feed ramp.

It would go bang, but it would get stuck feeding into the barrel. I pulled the slide back about a 1/4", and it would go into battery everytime and go bang. It may be the mag that came with it, but I forgot to grab a more modern mag to check.

Q

"Mama said aluminum cased .45 ACP is the debbil."

gem357

MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2013
    SoHoCo
    I finally got the call from CMP (my number was in the 16,000s) and pick it up this Thursday. Remington frame, Ithaca slide, made in 1943.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    its at the dealer now, I will have it next week. I will say while its a nice gun, im not Impressed. Its a Reparked 1944 Rand but its heavly reparked so its hard to make out Remington Rand. IMO the pistol i traded you years ago was a nicer pistol far as collecting goes. Maybe i just expected too much? Ill post it when i bring it home. I have 5 pistols at the shop to pick up next week

Give the Germans some credit- they numbered everything. Lots of USGI guns being sold as “original” are nothing more than pieced together mutts. And I have in the past been guilty of perpetuating that also too.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia

Q

As an update, took the RR out again with brass and aluminum cased rounds. Also took two other current .45 mags along with the CMP supplied magazine. Loaded 5 rnds of aluminum in the CMP magazine, functioned flawless. Puzzled look on my face, loaded two aluminum cased rounds in CMP mag, jammed on loading the second round into the chamber. Pulled the slide back a 1/4", reset and fired. Put two brass cased rounds in the CMP mag, same issue. Loaded 2 aluminum cased rounds in newer Kimber magazine, no failure. Loaded 2 brass cased rounds, no failure. Loaded 5 in Kimber, no failure, brass or aluminum. I am pretty sure it is the CMP supplied magazine. Is it a matter of getting a new spring, or just stretching out the old one for a range mag?

Just a heads up the the CMP 1911 folks.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom