• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Actually, after Sandy Hook, that's exactly what he was saying. Well, not take but ban. ARs, mags, "assault weapons", etc were all in his sights. Luckily at that time, he didn't have Congress.

But you're right, handgun calibers were a long time coming back. Hell, even .30-30 was unobtanium for awhile. 22LR took like 3 years; daily lines in WalMart waiting to see if employees would restock anything. Ridiculous :sad20:

I am hoping this time it’s all new shooters and everyone who is in to guns stocked up then and still haven’t burned through the tens of thousands of rounds they bought.

But who am I kidding, based on posts I’ve seen here I suspect a lot of guys just went “hmm, I’ve got a guest bedroom I can make an Ammo can bed for the mattress to sit on...time to order a few dozen cases, there is a run on!

I am mostly joking. Mostly.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I think this ammo run started due to covid19 and shortages due to manufacturing, then came the riots to add to demand and now elections that threaten to ban. IF Trump wins, it will settle back down for a while. IF not it will never return to what we knew as normal.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I think this will continue even as supply catches up, simply because as it catches up to demand and prices drop back down, lot's of folks will interpret it as an opportunity to "buy low", because they don't want to find themselves in the situation we are in now and unprepared.

Just my .02

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    At what point are prices so ridiculous you start selling some of your stash? How many rounds minimum to keep on hand assuming 1 pistol and 1 rifle caliber as your shtf go to? As the prices go up these are questions I have been asking myself lately.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    My minimum is 1,000 rounds for rifle. 1,000 rounds pistol. 500 for shotgun (00 buck and slug).

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    At what point are prices so ridiculous you start selling some of your stash? How many rounds minimum to keep on hand assuming 1 pistol and 1 rifle caliber as your shtf go to? As the prices go up these are questions I have been asking myself lately.

Statistically speaking, if the only thing you're concerned about is SHTF, you'll never need to keep more than a box of each. Much of America likely does just that. Not that many here would find that acceptable.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Correct. It is the BUYER who ultimately sets the price on any commodity. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything. Members of this board should NOT be short on ammo after all the other runs in the recent past. If you lived through them and didn't learn, oh well. Suck it up. Pay the price (or don't).

The only real NEED for ammo right now if you don't have ANY (and I mean zero) is for self/personal defense. If you have a gun and don't have any ammo at all, go buy a box or 2 at whatever price, to use for defending you and yours. A box of 50 9s will fill 2 Glock mags with enough left over to shoot a few. A couple boxes of 223 will fill a 30 rounder and leave 10 rounds to sight in your AR. Two full Glock mags and a 30 round AR mag will get you out of most "issues". That is the only real "NEED" for ammo during this shortage.

Don't have enough for target practice? Don't care, not a need.
    Don't have enough for plinking? Don't care, not a need.
    Don't have enough for an upcoming match? Don't care, not a need.
    Don't have enough for a class? Don't care, not a need.
    Only want to add to your personal stash because you didn't have the forethought to prepare properly? Don't care, not a need and not my problem.

So if you NEED some ammo, pony up and pay the price of admission to the University of Lessons Learned, which WILL be higher than normal. But your lack of preparedness does not compel me to sell my property to you at whatever profit you deem acceptable.

And before all the whining and gnashing of teeth starts, over the past 2 years I've given away over 2 cases of 22 Automatch, box by box, to newbies I've met at the range. Just last week, I gave 2 boxes of 303 British I found in the stash to a guy I met at Gunsmoke a couple of years ago because he has one and I no longer do. And I would freely give (or at least sell at my cost) some ammo to most of the members on this board.

But these are the people who have already taken responsibility for themselves and already have plenty of ammo (most have way more than me). The thing is, when you post a FS here in the Classifieds, you don't get to control who hits the Buy Now button. Could be one of us or could be one of those. This post is not directed at anybody personally.

Go ahead, feel free to proceed with the "fair profit", "price gouging" and "naughty not niceness" remarks.

I agree, it does suck though for people who are just recently getting into firearms (people just coming of age for example) and trying to grow a stockpile and collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    Aim Surplus had 124 Grain 9mm in stock for a micro-seceond...I managed to secure a case for $399. AND.......it was gone....2 days to ship....on its way.....at least I will HAVE some backup.....Now I can finally go test out that 80% Poly Pistol I finished 6 months ago......and finally got the slide to operate smoothly....toughest part of the build.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    The pricing is bad enough but even 30-30 is about impossible to find. It's the one caliber I don't have a large stash for. I ended up buying 200rnds of federal powers shok off gunbroker for $300. Serves me right for not buying reloading dies before the component shortage.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

I sold my stash the first 6 months of the year. I’d be on my yacht now if I sat on it...

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I sold my stash the first 6 months of the year. I’d be on my yacht now if I sat on it...

I was talking to my mom about down payments for the house I’m trying to buy and I was joking with her that if I sold my ammo stash I could easily have that 20% down payment lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You guys are making me nervous! I'm looking at my ammo room and I'm seeing too much empty space........

zenofpap.jpg

:lol2:

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    The pricing is bad enough but even 30-30 is about impossible to find. It's the one caliber I don't have a large stash for. I ended up buying 200rnds of federal powers shok off gunbroker for $300. Serves me right for not buying reloading dies before the component shortage.

Picked up the last 4 boxes at a Walmart today for $67.00.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think this will continue even as supply catches up, simply because as it catches up to demand and prices drop back down, lot's of folks will interpret it as an opportunity to "buy low", because they don't want to find themselves in the situation we are in now and unprepared.

Just my .02

For the most part, people ignored ammo when it was cheap and available after the last crisis. My guess is that history will repeat itself, but we are going to be in for a very long spell this time before ammo is both cheap and available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom