• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Just ordered one myself. Asked them in the comments to do a quick D/A function check before sending as I saw the issue that two of you on here had. They've always been pretty amenable to any requests I have.

I'll post it up when it comes. My 1907 Savage needed another friend in the same caliber.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Yup, I just got mine and I've already emailed them about return or exchange. Trigger guard is dented and it is dragging. On top of that, it isn't what I would consider a 90% + select. I wouldn't have sent it back just because I judge it to be more like 80% and they say 90% plus, but the dented trigger guard causing the trigger to drag just isn't plain safe. I've bought many dozens of sight unseen surplus C&Rs over the years and this will be the first one to be returned. Guess it had to happen sometime.

Let me know what you hear from them. I'll probably call tomorrow.

Jul 1, 2012
    Repairing the bent trigger guard is a pretty straightforward task (no pun intended) but I can see wanting an exchange.
    Then again, sometimes a bird in the hand, and all that :)

After seeing the pic of all those pistols jumbled together in the box it's not really a surprise though.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Repairing the bent trigger guard is a pretty straightforward task (no pun intended) but I can see wanting an exchange.
    Then again, sometimes a bird in the hand, and all that :)

After seeing the pic of all those pistols jumbled together in the box it's not really a surprise though.

I think i would prefer to do an exchange with this one since its bent enough to completely impede travel. Out of curiosity what is the best way to unbend one?

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    OK...I received mine today and after disassembling, scrubbing down with a Mobil-1 soaked toothbrush and cleaning the bore like I just put 250 rounds through it, I am ready to describe what I received for my $285 for grade 1 select. The bore looks nice, the numbers are matching and the overall functionality seems acceptable- no cracked grips, no chipped floor-plate- but I would rate the blued finish as a 75% at best- not 90%. The P-64s I own that were rated as very good by other more well-known vendors have what I would consider a 90% finish and the one I received from OWS is not even close to that, having worn-through blueing and obvious lack of cleaned-off fingerprints on the slide, particularly on the serrated cocking portion. I will post pictures tomorrow after I get some sleep and although overall I am satisfied with my purchase of a shooter firearm, in all veracity, its finish is no better than the least attractive among my Romanian, Polish and Yugo Tokarevs and P-64s. Perhaps Radom has spoiled me on milsurp firearms as their blueing on my Polish Tokarev and P-64s is way better than CZ's. Then again, at least it is not as bad as those a$$-ugly CZ-82s with the chippy krylon paint jobs.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    :) As promised...it's a nice gun. I think the Radoms I got previously just spoiled me.

Attachments

• CZ50b.jpg
      CZ50b.jpg
      120.2 KB · Views: 354
    • CZ50c.jpg
      CZ50c.jpg
      113.1 KB · Views: 352

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont

Will do. I haven't heard back yet. I might be able to tweak the trigger guard enough it stops dragging. The magazine is awful. Hangs up something fierce. Not sure why without breaking out the micrometer and doing some measuring. The two mags I have for my other cz50 work great in it, but the mag from OWS that came with this cz50 hangs up in both of them. It looks like it was almost sanded it is so worn so you would think it would slide in and out nicely. I even took the grips off to make sure it wasn't that. Oh well....

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Will do. I haven't heard back yet. I might be able to tweak the trigger guard enough it stops dragging. The magazine is awful. Hangs up something fierce. Not sure why without breaking out the micrometer and doing some measuring. The two mags I have for my other cz50 work great in it, but the mag from OWS that came with this cz50 hangs up in both of them. It looks like it was almost sanded it is so worn so you would think it would slide in and out nicely. I even took the grips off to make sure it wasn't that. Oh well....

I called at 10 but no one picked up.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    OK...I received mine today and after disassembling, scrubbing down with a Mobil-1 soaked toothbrush and cleaning the bore like I just put 250 rounds through it, I am ready to describe what I received for my $285 for grade 1 select. The bore looks nice, the numbers are matching and the overall functionality seems acceptable- no cracked grips, no chipped floor-plate- but I would rate the blued finish as a 75% at best- not 90%. The P-64s I own that were rated as very good by other more well-known vendors have what I would consider a 90% finish and the one I received from OWS is not even close to that, having worn-through blueing and obvious lack of cleaned-off fingerprints on the slide, particularly on the serrated cocking portion. I will post pictures tomorrow after I get some sleep and although overall I am satisfied with my purchase of a shooter firearm, in all veracity, its finish is no better than the least attractive among my Romanian, Polish and Yugo Tokarevs and P-64s. Perhaps Radom has spoiled me on milsurp firearms as their blueing on my Polish Tokarev and P-64s is way better than CZ's. Then again, at least it is not as bad as those a$$-ugly CZ-82s with the chippy krylon paint jobs.

I am sort of tempted to strip my Cz82 and rust blue it. I’ve seen some really amazing bluing jobs on Cz82s.

Jul 1, 2012
    You're not going to hurt the value of an import-marked CZ-50 by doing a good reblue job (chances are it's been arsenal refinished at some point anyway).
    Leave all the markings and edges sharp and crisp and you'd probably improve the value if it looks crappy now.
    From my perspective, which admittedly probably isn't worth that much, a touch-up is worse than just doing it right with a nice clean job.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    So I’m learning some things about this CZ50 that I got from OWS. Turns out the one I got is an upgraded 50. It has all of the CZ70 upgrades except for the CZ50 slide. This link has a nice description of the differences between the 50 and 70.
    http://www.freeexistence.org/images/guns/index.html#Czechoslovakia

Thanks a bunch for the additional information. Mine is apparently an original CZ50 with none of the CZ70 upgrades and even the magazine is the original style with the downward curving floorplate. I feel better now about the slide showing some holster wear through the blueing as all the numbers do match and it looks like honest wear, not neglect or clumsy handling errors like dropping it on the sidewalk or something.

Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    Thanks a bunch for the additional information. Mine is apparently an original CZ50 with none of the CZ70 upgrades and even the magazine is the original style with the downward curving floorplate. I feel better now about the slide showing some holster wear through the blueing as all the numbers do match and it looks like honest wear, not neglect or clumsy handling errors like dropping it on the sidewalk or something.

Your welcome. I had no idea about the CZ50 upgrades until I posted a picture of mine and someone said “cz70” and I was like “no, it says cz50 on the slide” and he replied “but it has the hole in the hammer like a 70”. Well that made me do some searching. Anyway I think this is the most fun part of C&R guns, learning about the history of these guns and then trying to apply what you’ve learned to the specimen you have in hand.

Jul 1, 2012
    For those wanting more info, James Brown (the author**, not the singer) wrote a book on Czech pistols that has about 25 pages on the vz.50/70.
    Production info, detail pics of differences, etc etc.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Pistols-Czechoslovakia-James-Brown/dp/0764333542
    (you can find it cheaper; it's got a lot of good stuff and is well worth it IMHO).

He was working on a book dedicated to the vz.50/70 but don't think it has been published yet.

** same guy that partnered with Harry Derby for the iconic "Japanese Military Cartridge Handguns..."

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont

I didn't hear back from them via my email last Thurs evening so I called them today. They picked up right away. I explained that not only was the trigger dragging due to a bent trigger guard (bent in and sideways), it looked like someone tried to ream out the chamber (I found that when I did a field strip over the weekend trying to decide if I would just straighten out the guard and keep it). They promised to get me a shipping label tomorrow to return it and they would set one aside for me today to exchange it for. Seemed like very nice folks. Of course I approached it with a I know it is surplus and this stuff happens attitude. Will advise once I get my exchanged one.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I didn't hear back from them via my email last Thurs evening so I called them today. They picked up right away. I explained that not only was the trigger dragging due to a bent trigger guard (bent in and sideways), it looked like someone tried to ream out the chamber (I found that when I did a field strip over the weekend trying to decide if I would just straighten out the guard and keep it). They promised to get me a shipping label tomorrow to return it and they would set one aside for me today to exchange it for. Seemed like very nice folks. Of course I approached it with a I know it is surplus and this stuff happens attitude. Will advise once I get my exchanged one.

No email back yet either. I called twice last week and got no answer. I'll have to try again tomorrow. I'd like to know what kind of label they give you. I've had that from Southern Ohio Gun before where they sent me a label for ups to return a handgun but it was not one that ups would allow me to ship with. I had to declare that it was a handgun and then they insist on only next day air to the tune of over 100 bucks. I ended up having to get a dealer ffl to return it for me. I'm really hoping this is not that much of a pain.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    For those wanting more info, James Brown (the author**, not the singer) wrote a book on Czech pistols that has about 25 pages on the vz.50/70.
    Production info, detail pics of differences, etc etc.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Pistols-Czechoslovakia-James-Brown/dp/0764333542
    (you can find it cheaper; it's got a lot of good stuff and is well worth it IMHO).

He was working on a book dedicated to the vz.50/70 but don't think it has been published yet.

** same guy that partnered with Harry Derby for the iconic "Japanese Military Cartridge Handguns..."

I may have to check that book out because the serial number of my CZ50 does not follow what was posted. Not only does it not have an NB date, but the serial number is B560xx instead of 6500xx. What does that mean?

Last edited:
    Jul 1, 2012
    That it was made in 1964 according to the chart in the book :)
    The NB designation ended in 1952 around S/N 740000 when production temporarily stopped.
    When it started back up in 1957 the S/N started at B10001 per the Brown book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom