• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    SGAmmo has ...

S&B 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo in stock now (not much left) at $25 per box of 50 rounds. This is boxer-primed reloadable brass, so hang onto your spent cartridges. You might get nearly as much for the spent brass as you paid for the the loaded ones (or give them to me:innocent0) . S&B cases make pretty good reloads. Click here!

They also have just a few boxes of Nagant revolver loads by S&B. Click here!

No 9x18 or 9x19, though.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Natchez Shooters Supply seems to have gotten in a shipment from Lee recently. A back-ordered .45 ACP die set showed up at my doorstep last Friday. I'd even forgotten that I had it on back-order, and was about to place another order from a company that was expecting them in early in March. They already seem to again be out of the .45 ACP 4-die carbide set, but there are several C&R rifle and pistol caliber dies showing in stock there now. Some of these things have been hard to find, or they were on EvilPay for ridiculous prices.

I'm posting this here, rather than in the reloading area, because a good bit of what they now have in stock is not for mainstream calibers. Even if I didn't have reloading gear, if I had a C&R firearm that was hard to find ammo for, I'd go ahead and get at least the dies (and probably molds) for rolling my own sometime in the future. It's a nice insurance policy, and you can always sell them later if you don't use them (probably for a profit). I'd also pay the extra for reloadable brass, and keep that. It may turn into gold in the future.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    SGammo has 200 and 1k packs of Golden Tiger 7.62x39.
    Lasted less then an hour. I heard the "in stock" email arrive in my inbox while talking to my daughter on the phone. It was a long conversation about a job opening for her. By the time I got off the phone it was sold out.

I would gladly trade 200 rounds of ammo for an hour chat with my daughter.

I head that they had some up for sale last week so it will probably be back again.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Consider all surplus corrosive. Period.

When they say clean, they literally mean the ammo is physically clean.

Surplus ammo isn't all that bad, even though it is corrosive. The important things are to know how to clean your firearm thoroughly, and to commit to having the time and motivation to do so when you get back home after shooting it. There is a lot of info on the intergoogles about how to clean various firearms, and how to clean up after shooting corrosive ammo--some ideas for cleaning in the field, and some for when you get home. Your firearm isn't going to turn into a pile of rust in a few hours, but if you forget about it for a few weeks, you'll really regret it. It's easy enough to clean a firearm after shooting surplus ammo through it, and doing so promptly and properly makes it no worse than any other ammo.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Doesn't anyone know if that Polish surplus is any good? It warns of cracked case necks and such....

Yeah, it's OK for plinking if you visually inspect and sort out the ones with cracked necks. They don't say what percentage had the cracks, though. Save the ones with cracked necks. The bullets can be pulled and used for reloads by you in the future, or by someone else.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Surplus ammo isn't all that bad, even though it is corrosive. The important things are to know how to clean your firearm thoroughly, and to commit to having the time and motivation to do so when you get back home after shooting it.

And there is the problem. I have very limited space at home to conduct any work on my rifle beyond a simple cleaning. The procedures for cleaning up after corrosive rounds seem.... involved.

I did buy some ballistol though so if the time comes I will manage it.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    And there is the problem. I have very limited space at home to conduct any work on my rifle beyond a simple cleaning. The procedures for cleaning up after corrosive rounds seem.... involved.

I did buy some ballistol though so if the time comes I will manage it.

its not "involved" at all, just run a couple of patches of windex with ammonia down the bore before you do a regular cleaning and thats that.

wiping the bolt face with the windex before you clean it is a good idea as well.

thats about it.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Also, if you are talking about a Mosin, Wally World sells a 3-pack of flexible (rubber-like) silicone funnels for a few bucks. Pull out the bolt and one of them is just the right size to fit down into the chamber. Just pouring hot water, or hot water with some ammonia in it, down the barrel before normal cleaning will do the trick. The corrosive compound in the primer produces a kind of salt that ammonia neutralizes, and that hot water will flush away. You can do this over the drain in a bathtub or into a toilet if you haven't got much room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom