• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I have an opportunity to pick up a very nice (gently used) G27 Gen 4 for a good price ($440 delivered) and was hoping to get some input from anyone who is shooting one. Thanks.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    A buddy with MSP has one for off duty.
    I've shot it quite a bit.
    More accurate and controllable than I would have thought.
    He doesn't carry it much anymore...Went with single stack.
    He said it was a pain to carry. Too wide.
    Of course he's a fit Marine and not an old doughy dude like me.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I think it's a fairly useless size honestly. It's not enjoyable to shoot and you can just as easily carry a G23. If you aren't carrying it then it's even more useless.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Converted mine to a 26 since it is easier to just keep a bunch of 9mm around for its siblings. Swap the barrel and I think 3 other parts.

I do enjoy shooting it, if you live in MD there is a 3% chance you get to carry it so just enjoy the hobby and learn the sub-compacts, hell learn them all.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Along the theme of Name Taken :

For most people too big to pocket carry. If carried on belt or IWB, it is needlessly short in the grip. ( Meaning compromised in obtaining optimal grip.)

My take is to either go a hair smaller, or a schooch larger.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Useless unless carried concealed, it serves no other purpose. It is a close range, self defense weapon and its short grip makes it difficult to control unless you add grip extensions.

That said, if you do carry it concealed it will accept a G22 or G23 mag. It's a Glock, so reliable if maintained and the .40 isn't a bad round from the somewhat short barrel.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I think it's a fairly useless size honestly. It's not enjoyable to shoot and you can just as easily carry a G23. If you aren't carrying it then it's even more useless.

Along the theme of Name Taken :

For most people too big to pocket carry. If carried on belt or IWB, it is needlessly short in the grip. ( Meaning compromised in obtaining optimal grip.)

My take is to either go a hair smaller, or a schooch larger.
    Interesting comments. I would carry my G26 over my G43 any day of the week and I love the G43. I also choose the G26 over one of my G19's most of the time. Perfect size and capacity for most concealment purposes in my opinion.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    My experience has been different than others. I carried one when I lived in Kentucy & Ohio. It is excellent shooting gun and it carried better and felt smaller than my G19. I found the recoil (with 180 JHP) comparable to my Glock 22 and better than my buddies G23. I assume the double spring recoil rod helped. I did use a small mag extension to get my pinky on the grip. I did not shoot a lot of matches but when I did I used the G27 and did fine. Besides the mag extension the only change I made was XS sights. I did one class besides the conceal carry couse and it never had an issue. I think it is a great. JMHO

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    IMO the best all around 12month concealed carry firearm ever made. I have carried one almost every day for the last couple years, it sits on top of a dozen other models that don't work as well for me. In the summer I can pocket carry it in a kydex holster, probably the most firepower that is practical to carry with this method. In cooler months I can carry it "bobtailed" with x-grip G23 mags IWB, conceals better than a G23, and surprisingly enough the grip is MORE comfortable. At any time I can carry it IWB with a GAP equipped flat base mag and conceal it well under a t-shirt. With 165-180gr subsonic ammo it is surprisingly docile to shoot, the caliber is known for efficiency in short barrels, much lower pressure than top 9mm+p loads with similar power, less blast, less noise, more momentum, better expansion and penetration, similar moderate recoil at a small cost of 1rd capacity.

With good sights, it is as accurate as any other GLOCK, with GAP floorplates it is very easy to shoot fast while remaining a tiny 4.25" tall. The Gen 4 changes give a far grippier texture that helps a great deal with control, the larger mag release is easy to reach(more-so with a Vickers replacement), the de-horned front of the slide is easier to holster, and along with the slender rail-free dustcover there are far fewer edges and less bulk to dig into you when carrying. The pistol is lightweight and small, but a bit wide, this spreads recoil across the hand to make it comfortable to shoot, sticking with thin kydex holsters does help keep it from feeling too bulky. Even if you don't plan on carrying, subcompacts are fun and challenging to shoot well, the 27 is a great model to try out as it is probably the smallest pistol you can shoot like a fullsize with primary service pistol techniques, and probably the biggest that can carry and conceal with pocket/ankle/BUG techniques.
    20160925_202433.jpg

20160925_202720.jpg

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    see if the seller will let you demo it at a range, or find a range that rents them and give it a try. most if not all people will want one of those pearce grip extensions to get able to get a full hand on the grip, and with that of course you get a little closer to their midsize guns.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    I love mine. I would not carry it for any other reason than concealed. I carried mine since I was in CID almost my entire career but when I hit the street, I went back to my G22.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Interesting comments. I would carry my G26 over my G43 any day of the week and I love the G43. I also choose the G26 over one of my G19's most of the time. Perfect size and capacity for most concealment purposes in my opinion.

This ^^^^^^ absolutely. In state I carry the G26 in an OWB holster 90% of the time.

The subcompact G26/27/33 are carry guns, not range toys. If you don't have the ability to carry in the People's Republic and don't leave the state often there's not much reason to own one. But if you do they are one of the most carried firearms going for a reason.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    The GLOCK 27 was the last of my .40 S&W guns and it went away years ago.
    I can shoot the little GLOCKs and do it pretty well with them but the eye opener for me was I shot the 26 and 27 side by side against a shot timer.
    At 5 yards I can get 3 good hits on target (-0 on standard IDPA target) with the 26 faster than I can get 2 good hits with the 27.
    If you decide to go with either of the little GLOCKs it will take a good bit of practice to run them quickly.
    Others have mentioned magazine extensions but if you need to go that rout you might as well get a 23. The slide is not the part that's hard to conceal so barrel length doesn't matter as much as grip length.
    The problem with a short grip is WTF do I do with my little finger.
    My solution is to get it curled UNDER the magazine.
    On my draw I take as high a grip as I can on the little gun and curl my little finger all the way under the magazine so it is flat against the floor plate.
    This allows me to get my thumb. and 3 fingers as close to the bore axis as possible and gets my little finger out of the way.
    Then when my support hand comes out I can get a full grip on the gun (using my little finger like it's part of the grip) much like I would a compact, or full-sized gun.
    This feels unnatural as hell at first but with some practice it becomes 2nd nature anytime you pick up a little gun you will find it works.
    YMMV.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I've carried a glock 27 for almost 12 years in a concealed role. I also own a Glock 22, 23 and 1911. I prefer carrying the Glock 27 over the other two concealed. The short grip fits under t-shirts and does not bother me as much while seated in cars or at work. I shoot the Glock 27 as accurate as any other glock I own. I would bet the single stack glocks are more comfortable to carry but I'm willing to sacrifice comfort for capacity . If you have a good holster for IWB carry you can carry any size glock with little problem.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

26 is a terrible carry pistol. It's like trying to iwb a baseball.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    if it's good enough for Hickok45, it's good enough for me.

Well that's reason enough right there for me to get one, Hickok45 is the MAN, and one damned fine pistol shot.

Anyway, the G27 is only a tiny bit smaller overall than my S&W 40C (which I really like btw) so I don't think I'd find it too small, and I would be adding Pearce or some other brand of mag floorplates with the finger extension, so I think the grip will fit my hand just fine. Add a 9mm conversion barrel and some G26 mags and you've got two guns in one, so I like that as well. Thanks for all the comments and opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom