• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    So apparently chick-fil-a has seen the wisdom in a second store for Frederick (and with it a big slug of traffic to be sure).

However, it's going to be out on MD 26, which brings to mind a question perhaps someone here in the know can answer:

Why are there so many new shopping plazas going up with one and only one way on and off the property?

Witness where Wegman's, IHOP and the new walmart plaza.

This seems to defy all logic and public safety (just try and get to one of these locations during lunch for example). If something were to happen, there's pretty much no way out.

Yet they are all grouped together and the traffic is especially bad at MD 26 and Wormans's Mill.

It is almost as if this is being done intentionally.

Discussion...?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    It's all part of the new development theory of "town centers." Clarksburg and Urbana are similar. The developers cram all of the retail in one area, all non-retail commercial in another (office parks) and then shove high-density housing all around. It takes the "village" model that places like Columbia, MD used over half a century ago and strips it of all reason for the sake of aesthetic.

The one-way-in, one-way-out is an attempt by the developer to mitigate wider traffic congestion and spill-over onto residential roads. In short, it's their way of telling you that they don't want YOU as a non-resident of their development using THEIR stores while appeasing planning commissions who are interested only in traffic density per mile.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Access is determined by the local authorities, not the shopping center owners and tenants. Regardless of what access may be requested, it's determined by the planning commission or whatever local governing body has authority. From my own experience, about ten years ago I was subdividing my property and the county tried to force me to share a driveway with another house several hundred yards away which made no sense. Their reasoning was that they wanted to limit the number of entrances to the road...but I had measurements and photographs to back up my argument, plus the fact that they had allowed adjacent driveways to another house across the rod recently built. Ultimately I won my case but not without argument and some harsh words on both sides.

These shopping centers probably want better access but they can only get what the county allows. Look at FSK Mall...I think access to there was designed by drunk high schoolers.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I've visited these areas only one time since the recent Walmart construction was finished. Absolutely the worst traffic patterns I have ever seen. No idea who's to blame for these outrageous patterns, but its likely that some silly bureaucrat is the principal culprit. Unfortunately, the businesses will suffer, although it was their choice to build under those conditions. There are plenty of competing businesses a short drive away. I won't return to spend any money at any of the businesses on the north side of 26....

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I was just out that way visiting my friend who lives in Walkersville, isn't there a Home Depot that's moving from across the intersection to somewhere new in there too?

It'll get so congested that in a decade they'll build an overpass where the intersection is for thru-traffic like they did in Harford.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    What is also interesting is that the original store by FSK mall will undergo a "extreme" makeover. They will tear it down and rebuild it next door farther in the parking lot. Hopefully fix the drivethru issues.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    We even see this nonsense in street design in our local community. Apparently direct access to a major thoroughfare is anathema to planners. They rerouted a planned street in our neighborhood in a ridiculous manner right across from us so it would not open onto the main road, where there was already a cut-through in the median for it. It's a stupid drive and, for some reason, they cannot sell any of the 9 lots on it. DUH!

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I was just out that way visiting my friend who lives in Walkersville, isn't there a Home Depot that's moving from across the intersection to somewhere new in there too?

It'll get so congested that in a decade they'll build an overpass where the intersection is for thru-traffic like they did in Harford.

Well, that's interesting if true. I've been wondering what the heck could go into the old abandoned Walmart sitting there. Is that the site you mean? Doesn't matter to me, I'll drive the extra quarter mile to go to Lowe's...just like it better in general.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Oh yes, I'm sorry. It was the old Wal Mart that mved and opened where the OP is talking about. The building I was looking at was the old Wal Mart. I'm remembering better now that you said that

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I would drive through a corn field to get to Chick Fil A. That's just me though.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Regarding the empty Walmart being discussed in this thread, I had read on some website that a storage facility was going in there. Then someone recently said a home store. When we drove by there yesterday, there was an “AtHome” tractor trailer parked conspicuously in the drive. This is a huge home goods store based in Plano, Texas. Looks like Fitzgerald, Ashley furniture, Pier One and a lot of other places are going to have some serious competition.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Give the Homegoods store by Wegmans some competition. Need a good Irish pub in town now like a Ri-Ra’s or a sports pub like a Chickie and Pete’s with good crab Fries!

I haven't had them yet but a friend raves about Oscar’s fish and chips. About as close as I can get on that. I wish there was a decent German place in Frederick too. I like the Doner Bistro but it’s more like a sandwich shop.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Well

I'm not sure which property it's going in on but depending on the road is who has control. If it fronts Md Rt 26 then the state rules. If not then most likely county/town with state input most likely. Maybe they are staying away from the state road and funneling onto an adjacent street to get away from dealing with the state. They, the state, will make you build their improvements (stormdrain) to get your project done. Even if you are not impacting the improvement so I'm guessing they want to stay away from 26. Then if falls back to county?city? Flip a coin - you are still going to have to go with what they say or fight like hell with a smile on your face.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I haven't had them yet but a friend raves about Oscar’s fish and chips. About as close as I can get on that. I wish there was a decent German place in Frederick too. I like the Doner Bistro but it’s more like a sandwich shop.

This is about the closest the area has to offer. Pretty good beer and food. Atmosphere is pretty good also. Next to the library in Hagerstown.

Attachments

• B75EBB90-6BF1-4D9E-9E38-367A7A43DA9D.jpg
      B75EBB90-6BF1-4D9E-9E38-367A7A43DA9D.jpg
      81.9 KB · Views: 156

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Give the Homegoods store by Wegmans some competition. Need a good Irish pub in town now like a Ri-Ra’s or a sports pub like a Chickie and Pete’s with good crab Fries!

For Irish pub grub, beer and whiskey - we’ve long enjoyed Magoos on 2nd, just west of Market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom