• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hi! I'm sure there are a million opinions on this; but since I've gotten bitten by the shooting bug- I've been running through A LOT of rounds/week (a.LOT).
    which is becoming quite expensive (9mm).
    I'm thinking of getting a 22 to shoot at the range to cut down on this cost and still be able to shoot frequently.
    Unfortunately there isn't a 22 conversion for my Glock 19 Gen 5;
    any opinions on what I should be looking for in a 22 that will allow me to practice my shooting skills?
    Lori

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    I'm a big fan of the Ruger MKII with the bull barrel. Currently Ruger is making the MKIV I think but they are quality pistols and reasonably priced. I've taught many family and friends to shoot pistol with my MKII over the years.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The Ruger MK series, Browning Buckmark, Smith and Wesson MP22, etc. Many to choose from. The Rugers have a ton of aftermarket stuff. I have had many over the years. For me, my favorite this week is the Buckmark. 22 is fun and cheap. Get something with a threaded barrel so you can get a suppressor down the road....

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    There are lots of good, reliable, inexpensive options. Do you want the .22 to have similar characteristics to your Glock? Maybe look at the S&W M&P22 or the Walther PPQ 22. Something purpose built as a .22? Maybe look at the Ruger MKIV series, the Browning Buckmark or the S&W Victory. There are also 1911 patterned pistols, like the Colt/Ultramax/Walther models. The Ruger SR22 DA/SA pistol is really popular. There are also lots of revolver options, which solves one of the biggest problems with .22's in general - reliability. I generally recommend against conversions - they tend to be as expensive as a full gun, and they don't have the best reliability/consistency.

Best of luck in your search. Everyone should have at least one .22!

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Big Fan of the Mk IV series. I have a Hunter and love it. Easier than breaking down an AR too. Do you have a sig? they make conversion kits for 226 229 series. I have one and it works great too.

Good luck!

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    It depends on what you want to do with it.

In the Ruger family the 22/45's do a great job replicating the feel of the 1911 controls and grip. You can get them with threaded barrels if you want to put a suppressor on it too. The knock I've heard here is they feel too lite (even the non-lite models).
    For target shooting the Target, Hunter or Competition are very nice. They can be a little heavy but there is a good aftermarket if you want to make modifications at some point.
    Personally I would go with a Mark IV over the previous generations since they are much easier to take apart and clean but if price is an issue, the older generations should be cheaper.

I've often heard good things about the Browning Buckmark's and the Smith & Wesson Victory but I have not shot them yet. I have shot the Smith & Wesson 22a, which is nice, but its discontinued now so finding one will be more of a challenge.

If you want one that is more "tactical Tupperware-like" then the Smith & Wesson M&P22 or the Sig 226 would be nice (you can even get conversion kits for the Sig to go from 22 to 9mm). My mom had the Ruger SR22 and hated it. I think its because she had the 3.5" barrel.

For Revolver, I love the Smith & Wesson 617 and Ruger GP100.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    The Advantage Arms Glock Gen4 kit is not compatible with the Gen5? If not for $100 you can pick up a complete lower on Gunbroker and then for about $200-$250 find an AA kit that is compatible with it. I have a Gen3 "G19" setup like this.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Get a ruger mark iv. Either standard mark iv, or the 22/45 version. Whichever fits your hand best.

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    I have a MKII with bull barrel also. Aside from being fussy to disassemble, a great gun. Plenty of info on the net for assembly/ disassembly. Mine shoots every kind of ammo I have ever thrown at it with no issues.

Raina

Jun 12, 2012
    North Laurel, Maryland
    This is my very novice opinion. After you gather some recommendations and information on features of various manufacturers/models, I recommend attending a gun show to "feel" various handguns. I don't have a .22, so this is based on my 9mm purchase.
    When I purchased my 9mm, I held more than a dozen different handguns before deciding on the one that felt comfortable and balanced in my hand. I decided on a full size M&P 9mm. To one of my friends with smaller hands, the grip on my handgun is too large. For me, it's perfect. She has the smaller 9mm Shield and loves it. On my full size handgun, I also like the grip angle and grip texture, all part of the "feel" in my hand. The magazine has a little 'lip' at the front, which to me feels more secure in my hand. You can add grip-tape aftermarket.

Here's an article that may be interesting to you: https://www.range365.com/10-best-22lr-handguns

There happens to be a large gun show in Carlisle, PA this weekend.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    This is my very novice opinion. After you gather some recommendations and information on features of various manufacturers/models, I recommend attending a gun show to "feel" various handguns. I don't have a .22, so this is based on my 9mm purchase.
    When I purchased my 9mm, I held more than a dozen different handguns before deciding on the one that felt comfortable and balanced in my hand. I decided on a full size M&P 9mm. To one of my friends with smaller hands, the grip on my handgun is too large. For me, it's perfect. She has the smaller 9mm Shield and loves it. On my full size handgun, I also like the grip angle and grip texture, all part of the "feel" in my hand. The magazine has a little 'lip' at the front, which to me feels more secure in my hand. You can add grip-tape aftermarket.

Here's an article that may be interesting to you: https://www.range365.com/10-best-22lr-handguns

There happens to be a large gun show in Carlisle, PA this weekend.

Purposely getting handguns into your hands is excellent advice, no matter how you accomplish it. Gun shows can indeed be one way. Better yet at some point in the process is a range that offers rentals, or perhaps a gathering of other shooters if possible, where different people are bringing different selections.

Handgun selection is very much a personal choice. You won't read your way to a handgun that is perfect for you. While folks can indeed offer any number of good possibilities, there's no substitute for hands on.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Yes, touch lots of guns. Nothing beats that.

Even so: having had a Ruger MKII for years (the bull barrel flavor - which does indeed shoot crazily tight groups and seems to like most any ammo), I thought I'd give the MKIV 22/45 flavor a try. No contest: get the MKIV. I like the more familiar (if you shoot other things) mag release, the super crazy easy take down design, and more. Of course if a MKII were to present itself at a stupidly low price, you'd not be disappointed. Well, not until you shoot a MKIV for a while.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I really like my Walther PPQ 22! Great little gun that fits my hand good as I have big hands. Most 22 semi autos I tried the grips were just too small for me. I got mine from United Guns in Rockville.

Attachments

• 7BA880B0-DF93-456F-8FD9-32DDEBCC34D1.jpg
      7BA880B0-DF93-456F-8FD9-32DDEBCC34D1.jpg
      104.2 KB · Views: 180

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Given your reasoning, you might want to consider a semi-auto handgun with top mounted slide in lieu of a revolver or the Ruger MK series. This way you’ll be using the same slide manipulation mechanics as your Glock.
    We use the Ruger SR22 and think very highly of it.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm a big fan of the Ruger MKII with the bull barrel. Currently Ruger is making the MKIV I think but they are quality pistols and reasonably priced. I've taught many family and friends to shoot pistol with my MKII over the years.

I second the Ruger MKII. I bought mine new in 1982 and have shot it a bunch over the years. It is without a doubt the most accurate handgun I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom