• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I’m sure one can spend unlimited amounts on scopes for air rifles but...what is an excellent quality scope that is reasonably priced for my Daisy 853?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I run NikonBusnell 3200 Elites 4-12 AO on most of my air guns. I bought a couple more when the went discontinued. I think I have an extra I'd sell if one of those would interest you.

Last edited:

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Anything for a high powered rifle should work. I have a BSA Sweet 16 on my Gamo and love it. Picked it up for like $60 used at a gun show.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Perhaps it would be more useful to frame the question along the lines of :

What is a good Air rifle scope in the $ X range ?

What price range is needed to find an Air rifle scope with Y features, that dosen't suck ?

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    So I like the idea of a diopter sight. As a matter of principle I prefer "open" sights to a scope. But that principle gets a little fuzzy as my eyes get older and a two inch bright red bullseye at 25 yards is just a splash of red in my vision through the sights that came with the rifle.

I assume that diopters don't magnify anything? Is there something about the design that helps the eye to focus better at distance?

What are the benefits of the diopters?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Diopter is a good choice. No magnification typically. The diopter has a small hole you look though which 'stops down' your vision like a camera aperture and increases depth of field. The drawback is the target isn't as bright. The eyepiece hole threads in and can be swapped for different aperture sizes (or even expensive adjustable ones.) Can swap for larger in low light conditions at the expense of less depth of field. They typ aren't ideal for hunting but airgun target/competition is typically well illuminated.

You typically run a diopter rear sight w/ a globe front. The globe has a 'ring' in it. You can swap inserts so the ring appears about the same size as the black center of the target. Just surround the target evenly w/ the ring and pull the trigger... You don't have to be able to actually discern the 10-ring.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    If you are shooting a springer you need to buy a scope made for a springer. Their recoil is differenct from a high powered rifle and they can wrech havoc on standard scopes. Pyramid air should have scopes for them.
    If you are shooting PCP they any scope will work.
    V

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    So I like the idea of a diopter sight. As a matter of principle I prefer "open" sights to a scope. But that principle gets a little fuzzy as my eyes get older and a two inch bright red bullseye at 25 yards is just a splash of red in my vision through the sights that came with the rifle.

I assume that diopters don't magnify anything? Is there something about the design that helps the eye to focus better at distance?

What are the benefits of the diopters?

What sights are on your rifle? A picture of both front and rear would help us advise you.

Diopter sights are also called aperture sights or peep sights. And they typically consist of a rear sight with a screw in metal aperture with a small round hole you look through that is mounted so it can be adjusted vertically and horizontally in a precise way for sight adjustment. The second half of the sight is the front sight which usually has a short tube called the hood that houses replaceable inserts that come in a variety of shapes and sizes but for target shooting they are usually circular. The rear apertures and the front inserts can be changed for various lighting conditions and ranges etc.

The cliffs notes version of the principle is when you look through a small hole your eye will automatically find the center of the hole. You then center the front sight in the rear sight and your sights are in proper alignment. Finally you center the bullseye in the center of the circle of the front insert and if you do everything right while executing the shot you will get a bullseye.

How the peep sight looks to the shooter:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CngeMdLfjXI

See page 774 for illustrations of peep sights and inserts (It will take awhile to load over 1000 pages):
    https://ia801801.us.archive.org/35/...edia_The_3rd_Edition_1966_Stackpole_Books.pdf

Think about making the trip to visit our program and I can show you in person. Let me know ahead of time and I will be sure to be there and bring a couple of goodies to show you.

Last edited:

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    The sights are the peep sights that come with the rifle from the CMP. They have a globe on the front with different inserts. I am using the post insert but maybe I should consider using one of the circle inserts. I can give that a try as well...

I tried to paste in a picture of the sights but wasn't able to do that...

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The sights are the peep sights that come with the rifle from the CMP. They have a globe on the front with different inserts. I am using the post insert but maybe I should consider using one of the circle inserts. I can give that a try as well...

I tried to paste in a picture of the sights but wasn't able to do that...

Definitely try a circle insert and it should be large enough to allow a white ring to show around the bullseye which helps to keep you centered the amount of white varies with different shooters. Sometimes it helps new shooters to unscrew the rear aperture and just sight through the threaded hole similar to a ghost sight until you get the hang of it. Rear apertures are available in various hole sizes or get the Rolls Royce and get an iris type adjustable aperture, you can adjust your aperture to varying light conditions (especially helpful for outdoor matches):

See the #3 Master Disc:
    http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

Oops - Adjustable aperture sights are NOT allowed in Sporter Air Rifle, OK for Precision Air Rifle. Always check the rule book if you plan to compete.

This article by Gary Anderson may help:

SIGHT ADJUSTMENT AND ZEROING
    http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Gary_OTMFall2011.pdf

Last edited:

rnish

May 24, 2012
    If you are shooting a springer you need to buy a scope made for a springer. Their recoil is differenct from a high powered rifle and they can wrech havoc on standard scopes. Pyramid air should have scopes for them.
    If you are shooting PCP they any scope will work.
    V

Agree with above. Also for air rifles get something with adjustable parallax down to 10-15 yards.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Exactly where I want to be
    Depending whether it's 11mm or 20mm, you could try this...

Bullseye ZR 1-Pc Mount, Fits 1" and 30mm tubes, 11mm Dovetail, 0.04" Droop Compensation, Recoil Compensation

Attachments

• PY-A-5495_Bullseye-ZR-1Pc-Mount_1512758230.jpg
      PY-A-5495_Bullseye-ZR-1Pc-Mount_1512758230.jpg
      39 KB · Views: 142

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom