• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I know shockingly little about archery, but the wife has expressed an interest in getting a compound bow for target shooting. Ideally, she'd be fit for a bow in person, but I'm trying to surprise her for Christmas. I know her draw length (wingspan/2.5) and would be looking for a shop to walk me through the ins/outs of getting her set up myself Christmas morning, so she can go sticking a block at her leisure. Bow, release, carbon arrows cut/tipped, guard, target.

A buddy of mine pointed me toward this bow. I like the range to which it can be adjusted, as well as the fairly high let-off. Seems pricey (and pink!), but this will need to be fun and easy for it to stick. https://www.cabelas.com/product/DIAMOMD-ARCHERY-INFINITE-EDGE-PRO-PINK-PACKAGE/1948863.uts

Any IPs fit that bill? If not, are there any shops in the central MD area that could accomplish the above?

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    What is the name of the place on Ritchie Highway just a little outside the Baltimore Beltway? I have never been in but it appears to be all archery.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Macrotech (answer to above question) owner Len Marsh. Can't go wrong with him he'll steer you in the right direction. He'll tell you what works and what doesn't. He doesn't just sell you something to make a sale. He's helped me out more than once.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Bows are a very personal thing, like handguns and footwear. Best to take her to a shop for proper fit and feel. That way she can draw and fire a few before committing.
    Before I started, everyone was singing praises about a specific bow and its solid back wall. I tried it and did not like it. Went with something entirely different. I like a little bit of play at full draw, so I can then set my anchor point. I found the solid backwall didn't fit my preference.
    Haven't been to Autumn Sky, but have heard good things about them, I believe they are near you.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Gun Shack in Mt. Airy and Jefferson Archery in Jefferson(just outside of Frederick). Can shoot different stuff. Be aware that Len at Macrotech and Shane at Bowhunters Den can and do turn a lot of people off with their demeanor and brand loyalty/preferences. Do as little homework about the available products and what each offers before going in and don't let anybody push you in a direction you don't want to go in. A bow is really a personal fit type purchase, hand grip can make a world of difference.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Gun Shack in Mt. Airy and Jefferson Archery in Jefferson(just outside of Frederick). Can shoot different stuff. Be aware that Len at Macrotech and Shane at Bowhunters Den can and do turn a lot of people off with their demeanor and brand loyalty/preferences. Do as little homework about the available products and what each offers before going in and don't let anybody push you in a direction you don't want to go in. A bow is really a personal fit type purchase, hand grip can make a world of difference.

I agree about Len, just didn't want to be the first to bring it up. :). +1 on Jefferson that's who I bought from. Len is about 20 mins away but I went 1 hr drive to Jefferson to avoid the drama.

Op, what about a recurve? Bit longer learning curve, but I think it's more enjoyable. Few models with upgradeable limbs in the sub $200. range. So she can start at 30 # or so and move up in weight with new limbs if needed.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Many thanks for the advice, folks. I had no idea there were so many dedicated archery shops in the area.

I might change my mind on the whole "ready to go Christmas morning" idea, because I agree fit/finish/feel are all personal things, and what is important to me might not be important to her, and vice versa. That said, a gift card in a box on Christmas morning doesn't have much of a "wow!" factor to it.

My personality can be challenging, too, after I'm challenged. :D I don't mind a gruff demeanor, but the hard sell and/or "Sigs are the only guns professional enough to clear a room" nonsense wears thin, fast.

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    I'd check out Autumn Sky then surprise your wife with a trip up there the weekend before Christmas so she can pick out what she wants.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Agree on the recurve with replaceable and upgradeable limbs--once you learn to shoot without sights--instinctively- it will help no matter what bow you pick up. It is a little like riding a bicycle.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Autumn Sky is great. They tuned my bow and completely fit my daughter's bow, when she was 10, to her. They wouldn't sell it to me until she shot it and was able to handle it. They have a range downstairs. They made her strings too.

Upperbay

Oct 20, 2019
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/DIAMOMD-ARCHERY-INFINITE-EDGE-PRO-PINK-PACKAGE/1948863.uts

Any IPs fit that bill? If not, are there any shops in the central MD area that could accomplish the above?

I bought that same bow for my wife last year. Nice set up for what she wanted to do, Target shoot with me in the back yard. The great thing about it is the range of adjustment for draw length and draw weight covers most ranges. They had 1/2 dozen different colors when I bought hers.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Strongly agree with the above.

The bow must fit the archer; anything less and it will be near impossible to enjoy and get good shooting form.

My daughter shots a Diamond Prism; the bow the OP is looking at is very similar in price and capability.

She uses it in the JOAD program with good success :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom