What style air rifles are your favorite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Exactly where I want to be
    While it would be very difficult to play sniper with a break barrel rifle, the sniper aesthetics or F class ELR/PRS is my fav as evidenced by previous pics. How about you?

Last edited:

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I'm not into the PCP thing. Tried it but it wasn't for me.

Have a nitro piston which I like well enough and I think there are some gains there. However, it doesn't seem the higher end makers are into the nitro system much so I'm mostly a springer guy.

As to the cocking operation I'm not that particular as I think the quality of the gun is more important than the method. Side lever or underlever I think I prefer as I worry about long term barrel droop. May be my issue though.

Guys shot field matches for decades and did it very well before the PCP's so it can be done.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    I'm not into the PCP thing. Tried it but it wasn't for me.

Have a nitro piston which I like well enough and I think there are some gains there. However, it doesn't seem the higher end makers are into the nitro system much so I'm mostly a springer guy.

As to the cocking operation I'm not that particular as I think the quality of the gun is more important than the method. Side lever or underlever I think I prefer as I worry about long term barrel droop. May be my issue though.

Guys shot field matches for decades and did it very well before the PCP's so it can be done.

I think the PCPs were developed more for hunting because of the quiet and much less motion for follow-up shots. Since I'm not a hunter, at least not yet, I prefer the breakers. I have them, both nitro & spring piston, CO2, but they're really only good in the warmer weather and about 15 yards max.

When I hit the mega-millions I'll buy a Hatsan Piledriver for extreme long range shooting. Then maybe try hunting.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I like the simplicity of the springers. Don't care for CO2 as that has given me too many issues in the past.

Feel a bit like a kid again, walking around and plinking. The PCP (for me) had to much extra stuff and I allowed it to stress me out which I did NOT need. In defense of the PCP game I messed up and got powerful ones which were loud (my issue not theirs) which did not help me.

The PCP's have ruled the pistol world in competition for years now.

I may break down again one day and get into them again but not sure. Have too much stuff as it is..........

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    This was my Texan when I had it. Yes it was loud, not yard friendly and I hardly had the arse to pump it up. Just totally impractical for me.

Attachments

• Goliath A1.jpg
      Goliath A1.jpg
      36.5 KB · Views: 475
    I have a couple springers that are very accurate and effective small game killers. I bought a Hatsan PCP a few years back and have a silencer for it. I put an ATN 4K scope on it and use it to kill rats on my property at night. I can get about 40 good shots before I need to use the pump.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I’ve got a break barrel that was like 100-125 it’s old and the trigger is terrible but it’s put a couple squirrels in the freezer ;)

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I have shot break barrels effectively, they are fun. Then I went into PCP and use them for hunting. I have a .25 for squirrel and an Air Force Texan SS for larger game. So far I have shot a turkey, pig and deer with the Texan. It's not super quiet but works for me. If nothing else, it is a different kind of sound and the animals aren't as afraid of it. I really enjoy them and will probably buy a better compressor in the future. I currently have a small compressor, works, but is loud and keeping it cool is tough. Many are starting to come out with compressors now, it's a good thing.
    V

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Ha!

One of those looks like my Diana model 36.

It's a breaker without a muzzle brake; before moving to The PRMD, I used to spend hours in the back yard shooting cans at 10-15 yards.

Now such simple joys require planning, preparation and travel... :sad20:

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I had a Benjamin Sheridan .22 cal pump a long time ago. I liked that air rifle, it was accurate.

Now have a Stoeger .177 X10 break barrel which I really haven't had time to evaluate. Bought it for rodent control around here. The accuracy is a bit more difficult with this particular air rifle; I'm trying to revert to an artillery hold on it but old habits are hard to let go.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Maybe my Sheridan Supergrade. Or on the other end of the spectrum the ShinSung 707 9mm :)

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I had a Benjamin Sheridan .22 cal pump a long time ago. I liked that air rifle, it was accurate.

Now have a Stoeger .177 X10 break barrel which I really haven't had time to evaluate. Bought it for rodent control around here. The accuracy is a bit more difficult with this particular air rifle; I'm trying to revert to an artillery hold on it but old habits are hard to let go.

Gonna have to look into one. Suddenly having a raccoon issue with the bird feeders around my deck. Maybe just a beretta .177 by umarex.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Maybe just a beretta .177 by umarex.

Depends whether you want to sting 'em, stun 'em or otherwise. Don't think that one will do the job. Most of them make less than 5 fpe. Takes ~12 fpe or more to kill efficiently and humanely if that's your goal. A good break-barrel in .177 makes about 15 fpe to 20 fpe, IMHO

All depends on the desired results.

Last edited:

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Depends whether you want to sting 'em, stun 'em or otherwise. Don't think that one will do the job. Most of them make less than 5 fpe. Takes ~12 fpe or more to kill efficiently and humanely if that's your goal. A good break-barrel in .177 makes about 15 fps to 20 fpe, IMHO

All depends on the desired results.

Only from my patio door to the feeder - 25”. Prefer to give him a good sting to deter his returning.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I love the ability to shoot air rifles where you can't shoot a firearm, and the lack of infringing BS laws for "non-firearms". Not really a hunter, or a serious target shooter, but have a couple BB gun "models" of cool stuff that are a blast to shoot in the yard with kids. My Full auto AR bb gun is relatively cheap, stupid fun to plink or hose reactive targets at home.

PY-4856_Crosman-Bushmaster-MPW-Full_1558033480.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom