• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    So, I've never purchased through the CMP before, but finally decided to grab a Garand from them. I know they're closed until at least May 5th, but am mailing in my order and documents Monday to get "in line."

My question is this. I'm going service grade which shows as being available, but there's no "ships in x weeks" next to it like the field grade examples. Does that mean it ships out quickly, or that I have a much longer wait? Just curious.

Abraxaslotus

Jan 8, 2012
    Cecil County
    Hey man. I bought two M1 Service grades from CMP last year and it took about a month for them to arrive both times. During this coronavirus shut down i am sure they are backlogged and it may take longer than a month. Just be patient and good luck. I love my two garands from cmp! Worth the wait and money!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It's part of the fun.

The wait time varies wildly, sometimes several months, sometimes a week or two.

There are usually threads at the CMP Forum where people update the action on their orders.

Did you order clips?

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Took about 5 or 6 weeks when I got mine a couple years back. I was definitely excited while I waited. It was worth the wait too. Most incredible gun I own. Start accumulating ammo while you wait.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve been thinking about another one as well. See if I can get a Springfield this time. I’ve got an IHA SG in new walnut. Quite the looker.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Random Q... I have my 03 FFL, but seems you don’t actually need an FFL to purchase through them. How is that legal? Is there some odd exemption in the Brady bill? Or they act as the FFL?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Random Q... I have my 03 FFL, but seems you don’t actually need an FFL to purchase through them. How is that legal? Is there some odd exemption in the Brady bill? Or they act as the FFL?

The CMP has a special exemption from Congress.

Your order form covers all the 4473 stuff, and they do run a NICS check. The exemption allows them to ship directly to your house, except in a few states like New Jersey.

That's why New Jersey has such a low crime rate.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Did you order clips?

No, they're backordered through the CMP. I'm going to order from Ammogarand.com which comes out close to the same price after shipping.

Should be noted that the 03FFL covers your collector activity requirement and makes the process somewhat simpler. $25 to the Garand Collectors Association for a membership + 03FFL = requirements covered.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One add on question. If I moved since I last ordered, but I am within the 3 years on my original paperwork, so I have to get all my stuff re-notarized? Or can I just send a new copy of my DLs?

I get why they have some of their requirements, but would be real nice if I could just send a copy of my FFL-03 to them.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    One add on question. If I moved since I last ordered, but I am within the 3 years on my original paperwork, so I have to get all my stuff re-notarized? Or can I just send a new copy of my DLs?

I get why they have some of their requirements, but would be real nice if I could just send a copy of my FFL-03 to them.

"After three years, or at anytime an address changes from the last notarized order, a new Purchaser Certification and Agreement must be notarized"

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Only roadblock was the need to find a notary pulbic that was open during all of this and the UPS Store on Stringtown Rd. came trough. Sales order with all the pertinent data is on its way to the CMP!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Should be noted that the 03FFL covers your collector activity requirement and makes the process somewhat simpler. $25 to the Garand Collectors Association for a membership + 03FFL = requirements covered.

I just found out - through the CMP website - that membership in the Berwyn Rod & Gun club qualifies as a member club for CMP purchase.

Link to club search: https://thecmp.org/clubs/

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Only roadblock was the need to find a notary pulbic that was open during all of this and the UPS Store on Stringtown Rd. came trough. Sales order with all the pertinent data is on its way to the CMP!
    Some of the best money you'll ever spend! I am just getting into reloading, specifically for the M1. I missed the cheap ammo by a couple years, its getting pretty expensive to hear that ping!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Some of the best money you'll ever spend! I am just getting into reloading, specifically for the M1. I missed the cheap ammo by a couple years, its getting pretty expensive to hear that ping!

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not getting one sooner, but given that it's less and less likely that we'll see re-importation of a lot of them in the future, I figured it was probably now or never. I struggled with going this route (and waiting a while) vs snatching a carbine from RTI, but in the end, common sense and the reality that we made fewer Garands than Carbines over the course of the war won out. There's just something so satisfying about 8 big booms of .30-06 followed by a *ping.*It also satisfies my semi-auto-only interest for another couple of months. I love the semi-auto battle rifles and the fact that they were only made for a short time (M1 Garand, SVT-40, Gew-43, MAS 49, SAFN-49, AGM-42, Mondragon, etc.) before being replaced by select-fire battle rifles and Assault Rifles lends a certain cachet in my mind.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not getting one sooner, but given that it's less and less likely that we'll see re-importation of a lot of them in the future, I figured it was probably now or never. I struggled with going this route (and waiting a while) vs snatching a carbine from RTI, but in the end, common sense and the reality that we made fewer Garands than Carbines over the course of the war won out. There's just something so satisfying about 8 big booms of .30-06 followed by a *ping.*It also satisfies my semi-auto-only interest for another couple of months. I love the semi-auto battle rifles and the fact that they were only made for a short time (M1 Garand, SVT-40, Gew-43, MAS 49, SAFN-49, AGM-42, Mondragon, etc.) before being replaced by select-fire battle rifles and Assault Rifles lends a certain cachet in my mind.

Zero argument here.

That said, my M1 carbine is more fun to shoot than my M-1 Garand.

But that’s because I shot my Carbine last. When it’s my Garand I shot last...

Well then my Garand is way more fun to shoot than my M- Carbine :lol2:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Zero argument here.

That said, my M1 carbine is more fun to shoot than my M-1 Garand.

But that’s because I shot my Carbine last. When it’s my Garand I shot last...

Well then my Garand is way more fun to shoot than my M- Carbine :lol2:

LOL. I truly enjoy both weapons. I have a buddy who was heavy into C&R back when I just got out of college. I should have heeded his advice back then and spent the $30 for the license, but dragged my feet for another decade. That was back when Mosins were $50 a pop and 98k and Enfield rifles were still cheap. It was post Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers had just finished airing the original run-through so M1's and carbines were starting to jump up in price a bit. He and I would go shooting together and he would bring out the Garand and carbine every once in a while so long as I grabbed ammo. The pawn shop the next county over sold bandoleers of surplus .30-06 in the clips with the cardboard sleeves still stuffed in the bandoleers they were packed in. The carbine is definitely much easier to put a lot of rounds down-range with , but the Garand has never been a shoulder-puncher in my experience. The one thing the Garand has above all though is the "ping" at the end. Nothing else comes close, not even Manlicher or Berthier en-blocs dropping out the bottom of their magazines on the last round stripped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom