• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    My grandfather gave me his model 37 featherlite 12ga. It belonged to my great grandfather. I looked up the serial number after racking my brain trying to find it and the manufacturer date is 1939. It’s action is well worn and smooth as glass. It points really nice for me.

I was wondering if it’s ok to shoot steel through it because I would love to take it duck hunting. It has a root forged 28” barrel with a fixed mod choke. My grandfather ordered that barrel probably sometime in the 60s. It would be nice to find a slug barrel for it also

Edit.
    I just realize the older 37 barrel does not change out easily. I remember my grandfather saying he had to send it back to Ithaca to put a new barrel on it

Attachments

• 35499128-0C01-4600-9921-A2C48AA35C4E.jpg
      35499128-0C01-4600-9921-A2C48AA35C4E.jpg
      63.2 KB · Views: 763

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    No I would not shot steel shot though that barrel. You can still take it duck hunting, just use “heavy shot” brand shells, or Bithsmith (spelling?) shot in it

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    IIRC Remington says you can put steel through their barrels post '66.

Contact Ithaca, they should be able to tell you if it's safe for steel or not. That said, if it's iffy, or you aren't sure exactly when it was made, shoot bismuth shot out of it since bismuth will deform like lead whereas mild steel won't.

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    Best pump action shotgun ever made, you can disagree but you will never change my mind. I have broke clays and killed hundreds of pheasant over many bird dogs with a 20 gauge that my dad gave me, second hand... might have replaced the tube magazine spring once and had it re blued by Ithaca once. Love those things...

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Be careful shooting it. it probably will slam fire if you hold trigger and rack it. That is by design and not a defect. I have shot 2 of them that will slam fire.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ithaca has gone bankrupt, and had new ownership several times , so the current ownership likely doesn't have the info on the classic ones .

But in any case , the proper answer is to use Bismuth , or one of the other non-toxics specifically intended on non steel rated guns .

Bugthor

Oct 27, 2018
    Aberdeen Area
    I too have my grandfathers' old rabbit shotgun. It means the world to me. I wanted to use it for a couple of different hunts. I found replacement barrels for it from Corson barrels. You may reach out to him, he has a lot of odds and ends in the shotgun barrel world. I actually sold him an old shotgun barrel.
    http://corsonsbarrels.com/

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Best pump action shotgun ever made, you can disagree but you will never change my mind. I have broke clays and killed hundreds of pheasant over many bird dogs with a 20 gauge that my dad gave me, second hand... might have replaced the tube magazine spring once and had it re blued by Ithaca once. Love those things...

I have to say it’s one of the best pointing shotguns I have ever held. Just something about it. Comes up perfect in line with my eye and the action is so smooth. I’m sure this one took its share of pheasants back in the day

I too have my grandfathers' old rabbit shotgun. It means the world to me. I wanted to use it for a couple of different hunts. I found replacement barrels for it from Corson barrels. You may reach out to him, he has a lot of odds and ends in the shotgun barrel world. I actually sold him an old shotgun barrel.
    http://corsonsbarrels.com/

All my shotguns I have to chose from I feel this one will be special taking into the field.

NO to any steel shot , If she was mine I would make her my dedicated Dove gun , She's to nice of a classic to bang around in a Duck blind or boat ,

I agree. I am hard on my duckguns too so only taking her out on nice dove field days sounds like the perfect way to honor a classic.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Got a featherweight 12 ga from 1951. My dad liked it because he's a lefty and it ejects downward.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Got a featherweight 12 ga from 1951. My dad liked it because he's a lefty and it ejects downward.

that's why i love them. i have the 37 featherweights in 12 and 16ga my dad and i used to hunt pheasant in penna years ago, great times and great memories.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Mine is 1976. Only one I’ve seen with this style hand guard instead of the corncob

Attachments

• D61F11B8-2D14-4D6A-BA99-713437BBF774.jpg
      D61F11B8-2D14-4D6A-BA99-713437BBF774.jpg
      83.1 KB · Views: 149

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads