• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Anyone know a gun smith in MD capable of drifting and sighting in this pistol? I called Sig - the only thing they do is install new sights. Thanks.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You'd be better off buying a sight alignment tool for probably 50 bucks and do it yourself next time at the range. That way you can always do it. And you will be sighting it in with your own grip.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    You'd be better off buying a sight alignment tool for probably 50 bucks and do it yourself next time at the range. That way you can always do it. And you will be sighting it in with your own grip.

Makes sense. Videos, however, suggest slide needs to be in a vice. With me, if something can go wrong it usually does.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    If you choose to have a gunsmith do this, I would think any reputable gunsmith would be capable. A few years back I had Hanover Armory install a set of tritium sights on a Shield and they did a good job.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    If you choose to have a gunsmith do this, I would think any reputable gunsmith would be capable. A few years back I had Hanover Armory install a set of tritium sights on a Shield and they did a good job.

The pistol is a former LEO pistol refurbished by Sig. The LGS where pistol was purchased was more than willing to drift the sight, but had no way to zero the gun. That meant driving a fair amount of miles to my range and back for more adjustment. I gave up.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Looks like the Maryland Gun Works sight drifter is the go-to item. Steep price though.
    This is what I use. 40 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088H18VMV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_KN5pFbXV6RDDM
    459694d071157f02ac32c7e6ef3c68ec.jpg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

So do you recommend adjusting the rear sight to compensate for a shooters natural bias. I may not be using that term correctly, but I saw you comment on a new shooters target photo that he was left handed because his shot grouping was slightly low and to the right.

I’m right handed so my groups tend to all be slightly low and to the left. Would you just push the rear sight slightly to the right?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So do you recommend adjusting the rear sight to compensate for a shooters natural bias. I may not be using that term correctly, but I saw you comment on a new shooters target photo that he was left handed because his shot grouping was slightly low and to the right.

I’m right handed so my groups tend to all be slightly low and to the left. Would you just push the rear sight slightly to the right?
    I'd first start out with my stance. Adjust that way.
    A person could have the best grip, sight alignment, and trigger press, but if there is something natural about your body that won't allow your 2 handed press perfectly perpendicular from your faced front, then compensate. I dunno, for example if someone has a screwed up elbow and one side is shorter the body has to move. You can't move a sight far enough to make that compensation.
    I've always said that you have to master the basics first before you can not use them in order to get into advanced shooting.
    It's ok to have a shitty stance if your grip and sight alignment is spot on, etc...

I'd push the sight of I knew my body wasn't the problem. But yeah, oh the sight to the side you want the round to go.
    Also, in the chase of perfection, people like to "shoot the group" instead of the bullseye. Don't shoot where that first off round went in order to make a pretty little hole.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I'd first start out with my stance. Adjust that way.
    A person could have the best grip, sight alignment, and trigger press, but if there is something natural about your body that won't allow your 2 handed press perfectly perpendicular from your faced front, then compensate. I dunno, for example if someone has a screwed up elbow and one side is shorter the body has to move. You can't move a sight far enough to make that compensation.
    I've always said that you have to master the basics first before you can not use them in order to get into advanced shooting.
    It's ok to have a shitty stance if your grip and sight alignment is spot on, etc...

I'd push the sight of I knew my body wasn't the problem. But yeah, oh the sight to the side you want the round to go.
    Also, in the chase of perfection, people like to "shoot the group" instead of the bullseye. Don't shoot where that first off round went in order to make a pretty little hole.

I’m sure that I still have a lot of improvements to make in all of those areas you noted specifically because I see the issue more pronounced with some pistols more than others.

On a lighter note I was thinking maybe I should start a “Dear Blaster” thread. Sort of like the old Dear Abby column in the paper.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I’m sure that I still have a lot of improvements to make in all of those areas you noted specifically because I see the issue more pronounced with some pistols more than others.

On a lighter note I was thinking maybe I should start a “Dear Blaster” thread. Sort of like the old Dear Abby column in the paper.

Usually the problem is grip and shooting too fast. People get better when I have them load 1 round at a time. By default, you HAVE to slow down. Aiming in too long waiting for the perfect aim is a killer too.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Usually the problem is grip and shooting too fast. People get better when I have them load 1 round at a time. By default, you HAVE to slow down. Aiming in too long waiting for the perfect aim is a killer too.

Try shooting off a rest to get your zero.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

I just posted the same thing a few back and mine is cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom