• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I've got this idea that I want to buy a Mossberg 44US to shoot in my local vintage rifle match (until my tendonitis goes away, at least). I'm leaning toward the Mossberg for the same reason the government did: I can't afford a Springfield :o

Trying to educate myself by searching online has brought up more questions than answers, based on examples I've seen:

1) Some say 24" barrel, some 26" Are they both legit, or could the 24" have been cut down?
    2) Are they "supposed" to be parkerized? (i.e. did Uncle Sam ever park them, or is it aftermarket?)
    3) Sometimes the magazine has a round knob of some sort on the bottom. Sometimes it doesn't :shrug:
    4) Front sights: The basic dovetail certainly looks GI, but what about the hooded ones, or the interchangeable inserts?
    5) Trigger guards...I understand they sometimes shrink (which Mawkie was able to fix; I saw his thread ;) ) or break. Aftermarket replacements are available, and I think I can tell the difference between them and originals (not as shiny, casting marks). I've noticed that sometimes the trigger guard ends before the pistol grip (and is nicely inlayed), but sometimes it goes to the end of the pistol grip and is cut off flush (which doesn't look as nice). Is one more correct than the other? Is this a variation between the 44US, a, b, etc?
    6) Phillip's head screws. I'm not used to seeing them on milsurps, but every single pic I've seen of 44US's have them...so I guess that's correct :shrug:

Obviously I'm looking for a shooter, but it does have to be pretty darn "correct" to shoot in the match.

Thoughts/guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    The magazine screw is a block to use 22 shorts. Uout take it out to use 22lr

jabber6

Mar 16, 2013
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    Some were parkerized (I’m guessing during a refurb). I have one that was done by Naval Weapons Station Crane and possibly the CMP did some as well. I look for 44 US, “US Property” marked. The 44 US (a), (b), (c) and (d) were civilian variants. This excerpt from Vic Havlin’s book Mossberg More Gun for the Money might be helpful. The aftermarket hand guards that I have are more muted / dull compared to the original ones I have. Mine have Phillips screws on the sling mounts and hand guards and 26” barrels. My 44 US (b) also has a 26” barrel.

The US144 and 42MB were also trainers, some further reading here: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652769

Attachments

• 90754F1E-9177-4BE9-9800-0B4645331401.jpeg
      90754F1E-9177-4BE9-9800-0B4645331401.jpeg
      63.1 KB · Views: 644
    • 7E04824D-3130-426C-A31B-E6F426FFED59.jpeg
      7E04824D-3130-426C-A31B-E6F426FFED59.jpeg
      48.6 KB · Views: 622
    Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The magazine screw is a block to use 22 shorts. Uout take it out to use 22lr
    That makes sense. I don't plan on using shorts. If I get one without the screw in the mag, it doesn't mean it's the wrong mag. It may be technically "incomplete," but not in a way that should matter to me. Thank you.

Some were parkerized (I’m guessing during a refurb). I have one that was done by Naval Weapons Station Crane and possibly the CMP did some as well. I look for 44 US, “US Property” marked. The 44 US (a), (b), (c) and (d) were civilian variants. This excerpt from Vic Havlin’s book Mossberg More Gun for the Money might be helpful. The aftermarket hand guards that I have are more muted / dull compared to the original ones I have. Mine have Phillips screws on the sling mounts and hand guards and 26” barrels. My 44 US (b) also has a 26” barrel.

The US144 and 42MB were also trainers, some further reading here: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652769

Great info, thank you!

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Make sure to look at the sight that is on the rifle you choose. I believe the first 5000 or so made should have a Lyman rear sight and any after that will have the Mossberg designed sight. Make sure that is all legit. If you find a lyman sighted rifle in the right serial number range than buy it. They are hard to come by. The serial number range on these rifles started at 100,000.

jabber6

Mar 16, 2013
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    If the front sight looks like it’s in the correct spot, I suspect your 24” vs 26” barrel description may be a lazy (?) listing error? The barrel is 26” from the chamber to the muzzle, but throwing a ruler against it quickly someone might list 24” as it “appears” to enter the receiver there if that makes sense.

Attachments

• FD2C9FDF-8C8A-4749-930A-750BA69574C6.jpeg
      FD2C9FDF-8C8A-4749-930A-750BA69574C6.jpeg
      96.8 KB · Views: 540

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    If additional weight isn't a big factor also look at the Stevens 416 which I would call medium weight. I'm always surprised at how good a rifle it is yet routinely sells for prices close to the 44US. Keep waiting for folk to catch on but it still languishes behind Remington and Winchester trainers.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -I think if you budget for $350 you'll be able to score a nice example. BossmanPJ's early, Lyman sighted example would cost considerably more as they are indeed hard to find.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The ones I've been eyeballing on Gunbroker and a few other sites have been asking $450+ or so...plus shipping, 3% cc fees and transfer. That's a little more than I can throw around right now...so I've been watching them go :( (actually, one I really liked ended today and got relisted...for the same price).

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If the front sight looks like it’s in the correct spot, I suspect your 24” vs 26” barrel description may be a lazy (?) listing error? The barrel is 26” from the chamber to the muzzle, but throwing a ruler against it quickly someone might list 24” as it “appears” to enter the receiver there if that makes sense.

That makes sense.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Make sure to look at the sight that is on the rifle you choose. I believe the first 5000 or so made should have a Lyman rear sight and any after that will have the Mossberg designed sight. Make sure that is all legit. If you find a lyman sighted rifle in the right serial number range than buy it. They are hard to come by. The serial number range on these rifles started at 100,000.
    It looks like the first 14,500 should have had the Lyman sight. I saw one (I think on GB) with a serial less than 114,500 with the Mossberg sight. Maybe someone raided the Lyman off of it? That might have been some bargaining leverage at a gun show...but not so much online.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Art got one off me the other day but that one on liberty tree was reparked heavy and not a great job, also the front sight is really high looking, all the ones ive had were not like that .

They're always high in my opinion in terms of firearms sales They do have a nice French 35s for sale there right now that's caught my eye.

Glad Art got one from you.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Art got one off me the other day but that one on liberty tree was reparked heavy and not a great job, also the front sight is really high looking, all the ones ive had were not like that .

I have one identical to that including the front sight. More than most likely it was a military refurbed rifle sold through the cmp.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I have one identical to that including the front sight. More than most likely it was a military refurbed rifle sold through the cmp.

Im not even sure where you would get that tall sight, ive prob owned 5-6 of those US property ones and they were all lower than that. I could see a taller sight being helpful at longer distance

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom