• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Is there any reason this one hammered so high?

https://rasmus.com/auctions/OUNUFZtdvoafhfq7p7jc/lot/10057

Hammer price is $3600, but vig and sales tax brings the total up to $4,128!!!

Bolt doesn't match, nor the barrel bands. Only thing I could think of was no import mark? Even then, that seems high. Am I missing something?

Something isn’t right. 300-500 estimate. Mismatched parts, pitting, etc. we have to be missing something. At least 2 people got into a bidding war I suppose. Wonder if they saw it in person and found something on it? Unreal price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fpmst930

Oct 21, 2019
    Rockville MD
    Is there any reason this one hammered so high?

https://rasmus.com/auctions/OUNUFZtdvoafhfq7p7jc/lot/10057

Hammer price is $3600, but vig and sales tax brings the total up to $4,128!!!

Bolt doesn't match, nor the barrel bands. Only thing I could think of was no import mark? Even then, that seems high. Am I missing something?

It was Goering's Alpine Unicorn hunting rifle that Mercedes Benz gave him with their car. :):):)

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    It was a early Steyr made mauser. They bring big money when nice and matching but this one was not so great. I think alot of people associate the BNZ code with the SS so that alone makes them sell for more. Seems like alot of guns at that auction got pretty stupid money.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I swear that those auctions are stupid. Things seem to go for market price without factoring in the premium (at least 15%).

The last one I bought 3 knives and managed to sell 2 so far for $90 profit. Everything else was priced crazy.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Quinn's out of Alexandria VA gets some crazy bidders with deeper pockets than sense. And they've had a stupid high 23% premium for many years. Throw in VA sales tax and you're now nearly 30 points above the hammer price. I personally attended an auction of theirs and did better than I should have but that was many years ago. But still remember the lump in my throat at check out when the premium and taxes were tallied.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    29% is terrible. Especially considering there are some auctions with 0 buyers premium.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I had some bids in on the canned HXP Garand food, but they hammered for over $1/round. No thanks. I'll stick to the PPU I can still get at less than that.

Buddy of mine picked up reloading manuals for cheap, some projos and assorted primers one or two powders and a few other odds and ends for a reasonable price, but everything was just nuts.

Tempted to see what Redding has that I could absentee on this week. No need for firearms unless it's a bucket-list that hammers for cheap (not gonna happen) so I'm hoping they have some small lots.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Maybe they thought it was one of these. In reality there are a few people with lots of money to burn throwing out some crazy bids right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20140304_202936_009.jpg
      IMG_20140304_202936_009.jpg
      24.7 KB · Views: 191

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    29% is terrible. Especially considering there are some auctions with 0 buyers premium.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Indeed. Put in an absentee bid on a mint copy of Jan Still's Axis Pistols. The South Dakota based auction house doesn't have a buyer's premium so all I'll be out beyond the cost of the book is shipping and $5 for a cashier's check. So hard to find an auction that doesn't charge a premium or keeps it reasonable (the Lancaster auction house I got the Unique from this weekend charges a fair 10% premium if you pay via cash or check).

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I wonder if CoViD and lack of gun shows has an impact.

Readings military arms auction a couple weeks ago sold some 03s at crazy prices. A preWWI rebuild went for $2700 when last fall before the CoViD craze that same rifle would've gone for 1200 on GunBroker.

A good friend of mine does acquisitions for IMT museum and said RIAC has recently been getting way above what he would normally expect. Maybe it's just a sellers market. I dunno.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Told a new auction buddy today that today's crazy gun market is a perfect storm that's a culmination of so many things. Civil unrest, pandemic, production shortages, massive demand, looming election politics, you name it. Damned if I have a crystal ball to see what 2021 is gonna look like. I pray it's better than this horrible year. Wish I could sell stability 'cause I'd be stinking rich, everyone wants and needs it.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Told a new auction buddy today that today's crazy gun market is a perfect storm that's a culmination of so many things. Civil unrest, pandemic, production shortages, massive demand, looming election politics, you name it. Damned if I have a crystal ball to see what 2021 is gonna look like. I pray it's better than this horrible year. Wish I could sell stability 'cause I'd be stinking rich, everyone wants and needs it.

You left out "Free Gov't money" in the list of things that have spurred the recent buying sprees. I know that funded a Mauser, Enfield, 7.62x39 upper, M1 Garand from the CMP, dies, primers, powder, and projectiles for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom