• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I emailed that guy to try and find out if the scope work was period or done later. He'd never email me back

I'm assuming it's later given that the mount is held on with Allen-head screws vs slot or Phillips head. That said, Allen head screws were used as far back as 1910, but not as widely.

From the SN, it's an immediate post-war model. 1945 if the source I found is correct.

---------------EDIT--------------

And now, it looks like I'm running into the same issue with the emails back.

We had agreed upon everything including time and place, and this morning he emailed me to say he was having second thoughts as it's got sentimental value to him.

I came off my requirements a bit to make it sweeter and he seemed good to go, but hasn't confirmed yet with 1hr until deadline for me.

I'm thinking he's gonna ghost. You don't put something out there, agree on something, and then renege because you're having second thoughts about grandpappy's old hunting gun. If it's that cherished, you don't put it up for trade i the first place.

We'll see what the 5 o'clock hour brings, but I'm not holding my breath at this point. If it comes and goes without confirmation, or he ghosts, I'll fill you guys in on the deal we had come to.

Last edited:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Alright, 5:00PM has come and gone, no confirmation from the guy, so looks like he's ghosting.

It was supposed to be his Remington Model 81 + $200 for my all-matching Steyr M95/30 with 4 en bloc clips, Lee trim gauges, decapping and expanding rod, 25 single-fired boxer-primed casings, and full set of headspace gauges, along with my M1916 Spanish 7.62 NATO conversion with sling, cleaning rod, and muzzle cap.

He originally offered a straight trade on the M95/30 for the Rem Mod.81 and was going to also buy the Oviedo 7.62 Mauser for $300 in the deal. That's fair for the Mauser from recent GB completed sales, but a little high on his end where trade value for the M95/30 vs Mod.81 is concerned.

All said and done, I'd have been happy with my two guns for his one minus the extras (no gauges, etc.) but with no response from him after 11AM despite two emails asking to confirm, I'm guessing it's a no-go at this point.

Oh well.

Now, if I had the spare money on me at the moment, there's a NICE example with the tang rear sight for $800 on Armslist out of Detroit right now in 25-06 Remmington. They made the least number of those and adding in the tang sight and the fact it doesn't look to be drilled and tapped, that's a steal of a deal.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Alright, 5:00PM has come and gone, no confirmation from the guy, so looks like he's ghosting.

It was supposed to be his Remington Model 81 + $200 for my all-matching Steyr M95/30 with 4 en bloc clips, Lee trim gauges, decapping and expanding rod, 25 single-fired boxer-primed casings, and full set of headspace gauges, along with my M1916 Spanish 7.62 NATO conversion with sling, cleaning rod, and muzzle cap.

He originally offered a straight trade on the M95/30 for the Rem Mod.81 and was going to also buy the Oviedo 7.62 Mauser for $300 in the deal. That's fair for the Mauser from recent GB completed sales, but a little high on his end where trade value for the M95/30 vs Mod.81 is concerned.

All said and done, I'd have been happy with my two guns for his one minus the extras (no gauges, etc.) but with no response from him after 11AM despite two emails asking to confirm, I'm guessing it's a no-go at this point.

Oh well.

Now, if I had the spare money on me at the moment, there's a NICE example with the tang rear sight for $800 on Armslist out of Detroit right now in 25-06 Remmington. They made the least number of those and adding in the tang sight and the fact it doesn't look to be drilled and tapped, that's a steal of a deal.

Bummer

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Yep.

Oh well, I'll just keep looking.

Yeah it happens, you will find one, do a search on GB and have it email you when new listings of them get put on, thats what i did and i just happened that i woke up at 5am one morning and looked at my phone and scored a nice example for like 550 shipped or something crazy like that

Jul 1, 2012

I don't know relative values of all that, but I'd hate to give up any tools or accessories personally, unless they were duplicates :)

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I don't know relative values of all that, but I'd hate to give up any tools or accessories personally, unless they were duplicates :)

For the Steyr, they're tools and accessories I'd likely never need again. It was a gun I grabbed because AIM or J&G had them for $79 shipped including 20 rounds of S&B AND four en blocs on Black Friday something like 7 or 8 years ago.

All matching examples are now going for $300-$450 depending on condition on GB as completed sales now.

As for the Spanish 1916, I've got extra accessories. I bought them when SAMCO was blowing them out about a year before the bankruptcy. $149 ea with free shipping on 4 or more, so I bought 4, kept the best one for myself and used the other 3 for trades or sales to fund other desires. Kept the slings and muzzle caps unless otherwise asked to relinquish them.

Looked the guy up on the book of faces. He's YOUNG. like 2 years out of high school young. I have a feeling that given the date of Mfg on the Model 81, it was his grandfather's or even great grandfather's. I have a feeling dad or mom talked him out of the deal.

I had a line on a model 8 out of Detroit from a FFL several months back for $600 shipped but didn't jump. It too was drilled and tapped. I'd really like to find one that is unmolested, but don't know if that will happen. Tempted to sic Empire Arms on the trail of a nice one, but they tend to be a bit expensive.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD

Attachments

• 17849-01.jpg
      17849-01.jpg
      20.9 KB · Views: 213

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    One on Gun Broker 1950's in 300 Savage. Looks nice, only alterations are sling swivels and rear sight replaced. Should be easy enough to change to tang sight if you want. Price is around $850, which in today's market seems 'reasonable'. I've seen others more bastardized (i.e. left side of receiver drilled and tapped for scope mount) go for more. 300 Savage is fairly easy to come by and not difficult to reload. I'd be seriously looking at this one if I didn't already have one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/8783...aign=Browse Abandonment&utm_content=Message 1

I've seen some posts saying they picked up an 8 or 81 for $500...when was that? It can't be in today's environment and also how unmolested was it? I look for as close to factory as possible, even for a shooter. Somethings like sights being changed, can sometimes be easily reversed. Drilling and tapping for scope mount on rifle not manufactured for a scope mount is harder to do (filling in holes with appropriate steel and re-bluing to match) . Not impossible but $$$$ and/or time spent.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I've been keeping vigil for an 8/81 for the OP and ran into a horribly butchered example this morning with something like 6 or 8 scope mount holes drilled into the receiver. Lord that was depressing. Better to have kept the mount installed.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I've been keeping vigil for an 8/81 for the OP and ran into a horribly butchered example this morning with something like 6 or 8 scope mount holes drilled into the receiver. Lord that was depressing. Better to have kept the mount installed.

6 or 8 holes? Either the most stable mount ever or some more with a tap set :(

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    If I had the coin this would be my choice: FN 1900. This is the FN produced version of the Remington Model 8, built for sales in Europe. I see these come up occasionally but compared to a Remington they're very rare. So expect to have to shell out well north of $1K to acquire one.
    Totally forgot that the 8/81/1900 has a stripper clip guide! I've never seen a stripper clip for any of the Remington cartridges. Now I'm curious to see if one can be found.
    Here's the link to a wonderful resource: The Great Model 8 forum @ the Remington Society.

Attachments

• 300-F5109-A7-DA-493-F-B6-FE-AD6-C0860-FFE3.jpg
      300-F5109-A7-DA-493-F-B6-FE-AD6-C0860-FFE3.jpg
      109.5 KB · Views: 195
    • 513423-FC-D5-DE-4-F8-C-BA5-A-70-DE2-B66-F6-AE.jpg
      513423-FC-D5-DE-4-F8-C-BA5-A-70-DE2-B66-F6-AE.jpg
      108.9 KB · Views: 183

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members