• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    If lack of comfort keeps someone from carrying, I would have to doubt that person's fortitude to use a firearm to protect themselves if the time comes. Carrying eventually comes second nature to the point where you forget you have it on you until you are about to cross an invisible line in the ground.

I'm not sure why wanting to be comfortable would have anything to do with a willingness to inflict violence in a dire situation. They seem like very different things to me. I can think of a few mothers I personally know who aren't particularly pro-gun, but would probably rip a bad guys head off with their well manicured nails if their kids were even mildly threatened.

Here's the thing... The odds of ever having to draw a weapon in anger for most of us is thankfully fairly small. So when we start to play with a cost/benefit analysis it shouldn't be surprising when people say "it's hard to dress comfortably with this thing stuck to my hip. Maybe I'll just leave it home just this once. After all, what are the odds something bad will happen?" In fact, I understand this is very very common, and the majority of people who can carry, don't carry most of the time. To come on the right side of cost/benefit equation, the cost (in this case inconvenience/discomfort) has to be low enough to meet the benefit (ready availability of a weapon in the low low chance that it will be necessary).

If you want a side arm to be a regular accessory, either the inconvenience/discomfort has to be low enough that it doesn't bother you much --or-- your perceived personal risk in your daily life has to be high enough that you are willing to put up with the discomfort.

Every decision has the cost/benefit or risk/benefit part of the equation. I ride a motorcycle. I'm more likely to die in an accident than I am to be murdered. I still ride because the joy I get out of riding is high enough to balance against the increased risk. However, I'm still concerned about Violent Bad Things and I'd like to carry a gun. But I don't have G&S with our current rules, and the risk of getting into trouble with our beneficent state government is probably higher than some thug. Although I am constantly re-evaluating that risk, as we are, in fact, living in interesting times.

I have a problem with being concise. Sorry to ramble.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    This metal clip on this Desantis holster is about 15 years use. If not older.
    Just as strong as day 1.
    139bb3b7e0596a917f2c45ef0c99d203.jpg
    0489f6016db8a4682b2f6af9fcfb1101.jpg
    This is very similar to what I carry the 1911 in. I think i might try one of their models for the S&W.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This is very similar to what I carry the 1911 in. I think i might try one of their models for the S&W.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I took an old soft piece of leather and glued it onto the back. Then put moleskin on the back to cover the seam. At the time I was using it for a P229 and the hammer was puncturing my muffin top
    I only wish I could find one exactly like this but with a canted clip.
    This is great because I used several different sized pistols with it.
    128af8bfd3ec8a99dc66058e9b58524f.jpg
    0c88c63ff9d3c2340077f1afb5f34b5e.jpg

denimdan85

Aug 12, 2014
    Hanover, PA
    I'm not sure why wanting to be comfortable would have anything to do with a willingness to inflict violence in a dire situation. They seem like very different things to me. I can think of a few mothers I personally know who aren't particularly pro-gun, but would probably rip a bad guys head off with their well manicured nails if their kids were even mildly threatened.

Here's the thing... The odds of ever having to draw a weapon in anger for most of us is thankfully fairly small. So when we start to play with a cost/benefit analysis it shouldn't be surprising when people say "it's hard to dress comfortably with this thing stuck to my hip. Maybe I'll just leave it home just this once. After all, what are the odds something bad will happen?" In fact, I understand this is very very common, and the majority of people who can carry, don't carry most of the time. To come on the right side of cost/benefit equation, the cost (in this case inconvenience/discomfort) has to be low enough to meet the benefit (ready availability of a weapon in the low low chance that it will be necessary).

If you want a side arm to be a regular accessory, either the inconvenience/discomfort has to be low enough that it doesn't bother you much --or-- your perceived personal risk in your daily life has to be high enough that you are willing to put up with the discomfort.

Every decision has the cost/benefit or risk/benefit part of the equation. I ride a motorcycle. I'm more likely to die in an accident than I am to be murdered. I still ride because the joy I get out of riding is high enough to balance against the increased risk. However, I'm still concerned about Violent Bad Things and I'd like to carry a gun. But I don't have G&S with our current rules, and the risk of getting into trouble with our beneficent state government is probably higher than some thug. Although I am constantly re-evaluating that risk, as we are, in fact, living in interesting times.

I have a problem with being concise. Sorry to ramble.

There is no problem with wanting to be comfortable but stuffing a gun in your pants will never be as comfortable as going without. Feel free to put comfort at the top of your list but for me function comes before comfort. A well made kydex holster with rounded edges is almost unnoticable except for a little pressure when wearing an undershirt. Pick your attire based on the gun, not the other way around.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Comfortable should be in context .

Carry methods that are actual torture , making you whimper in pain should. Be improved upon . But that is not the same as effortless , not even knowing you're armed .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I wonder if the OP has ever considered AIWB, like Phlster? I personally find it the most comfortable, it's easy to avoid printing, and you can draw stupid fast. Downside is that going to the bathroom is somewhat more hassle.

ChadThompson

Mortar Catcher
    Apr 18, 2016
    In a house.
    The Answer To Your Question is Crossbreed

The Council of Chad who posts rarely here and has little in the way of carry experience disagrees with the quote from our esteemed forum member below. Though I have little experience, what experience I do have is with Crossbreed and a cheap all-kydex holster. I can say at least that Crossbreed kicks the ever-loving crap out of an all-kydex holster and if you invest in the horsehide or founders leather your comfort level will improve immeasurably. If you are a USCCA member, Crossbreed offers a 10% discount as well. I can wear my Crossbreed for general purpose concealed carry quite comfortably enough. My G21 comes out and goes back in smoothly, but my G19 with a tactical light on it did require some adjustments.

Here we go again.
    Carrying hurts. Let's get that out of the way right now.
    Kydex is kydex is kydex is kydex. No one makes a softer kydex.
    What you put down in your pants is the width of your pistol plus the thickness of 2 sides of kydex.
    That's the reality of carrying.
    Now, people who don't seriously carry will say alien gear or crossbreed holsters because they are a hybrid. Half a kydex shell attached to either a huge leather backing or some alien gear shit ass pleather. They are comfy, they are both shit to draw fron, and also take up a lot of real estate in your pants.

Vedder is a good name. But there is no just 1 kydex holster better than another. Pick one you think looks the coolest and go with that.
    Just stay away from the hybrids.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The Council of Chad who posts rarely here and has little in the way of carry experience disagrees with the quote from our esteemed forum member below. Though I have little experience, what experience I do have is with Crossbreed and a cheap all-kydex holster. I can say at least that Crossbreed kicks the ever-loving crap out of an all-kydex holster and if you invest in the horsehide or founders leather your comfort level will improve immeasurably. If you are a USCCA member, Crossbreed offers a 10% discount as well. I can wear my Crossbreed for general purpose concealed carry quite comfortably enough. My G21 comes out and goes back in smoothly, but my G19 with a tactical light on it did require some adjustments.
    huh?

Last edited:

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I got a Ted Blocker DA3 for my S&W M2 4" shield. It's not to bad at all. Even driving it's almost not there. Once in a while if it's placed too far forward it can get uncomfortable when driving so then I'll lean towards the door more. The pistol grip is by far the most uncomfortable part of the whole thing. If that rubs on bare skin it's horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom