• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    So, I walked into a gun store a few weeks ago. As expected, the shelves were bare and there were only three handguns in the showcase. One being the Browning 1911-380. I'm a huge 1911 fan and have a few in several calibers (.22, 9mm, and .45) so I asked the clerk if I could check it out. The gun felt really good in my hand the moment he handed it to me. I wasn't really looking for a .380 but I admit, I was intrigued. I didn't care much for the scaled down .22 version that Browning introduced a few years back but I felt this was different and could possibly serve as a nice concealed carry piece. Granted, .380 isn't my first choice for concealed carry and there are a lot of smaller .380's that are more popular for this purpose. But despite the Browning's larger size, it allowed for a full purchase on the hand grip, the longer barrel offered better velocity and sight picture, and it was extremely thin allowing for good concealment. So, I returned the following day and started the paperwork. I picked it up yesterday, just in time for my birthday. Happy Birthday to me! :)

Attachments

• IMG_8239.jpg
      IMG_8239.jpg
      79.7 KB · Views: 380
    • IMG_8238.jpg
      IMG_8238.jpg
      74.4 KB · Views: 388

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Very nice pick up - Happy Birthday, indeed! Look forward to a range update. I've had my eye on one of those "on again off again" for the last couple of years. Looks like a nice shooter!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine. It locked up after about 40 rounds. Very poor fit of a lot of the internals. If it hadn't taken me 6 weeks to get I would have sent it back, but I was afraid their gunsmiths wouldn't even understand what was wrong with it. About 2 hours of 1911 parts fitting put it right.

I would completely recommend running 200 or 300 rounds thru it before trusting it as a carry piece.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine. It locked up after about 40 rounds. Very poor fit of a lot of the internals. If it hadn't taken me 6 weeks to get I would have sent it back, but I was afraid their gunsmiths wouldn't even understand what was wrong with it. About 2 hours of 1911 parts fitting put it right.

I would completely recommend running 200 or 300 rounds thru it before trusting it as a carry piece.

Damn, that sucks!
    I haven't shot it yet but I've taken it apart a few times and fitting appears to be okay. Can you tell me what needed fitting on yours?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Nothing held the slide lock in place, there was no detent. It would back out unexpectedly and LOCK up the gun as it tilted sideways as the slide cycled. There were 2 or 3 other similar flaws that I do not recall that were minor. Just stuff that make the works run smoothly and correctly that Browning didn't care about on a gun they were selling on its looks rather than the way it actually worked.

If I have time I will take mine apart and see if I can see what else I worked on; its been a while.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The problems aren't in assembly/disassembly, they are in FUNCTION. You probably won't notice if you are not John Cardinger.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    Nothing held the slide lock in place, there was no detent. It would back out unexpectedly and LOCK up the gun as it tilted sideways as the slide cycled. There were 2 or 3 other similar flaws that I do not recall that were minor. Just stuff that make the works run smoothly and correctly that Browning didn't care about on a gun they were selling on its looks rather than the way it actually worked.

If I have time I will take mine apart and see if I can see what else I worked on; its been a while.

Thanks Mark.
    That's really disappointing to hear.
    I'll have to keep a close eye on it.
    Thank you for the heads up.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Hopefully if the same thing happens you won't be in the panic I was and you will know what to look at calmly. Its a neat looking gun and fits well to conceal.

boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.
    Nice! I didn't know Browning was making those.
    I love my Colt Govt. .380 but it would be cool to have something larger.

Attachments

• IMG_20200216_110643.jpg
      IMG_20200216_110643.jpg
      86.5 KB · Views: 173

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    Thanks guys.
    I took it to the range yesterday and put 200 rounds through it without a single malfunction. I wish it had better sights but a little paint on the front sight will probably do wonders. All and all, the gun was really accurate and a LOT of fun to shoot!

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    Nice! I didn't know Browning was making those.
    I love my Colt Govt. .380 but it would be cool to have something larger.

Your Colt Govt. .380 is very cool!
    I really like the fact that Browning is simply scaled down and not redesigned as a compact. It’s large enough to provide a full purchase on the grips and offers a longer sight radius, yet small and thin enough to easily conceal comfortably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom