• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 28, 2013
    Is it necessary to pattern a shotgun at HD distances? I've got a new Mossberg 500, cylinder bore with a 18.5" barrel. I didn't realize that indoor ranges do not permit shot, and MoCo has no ranges nearby that do. I'm also not too keen on learning to shoot it with the heavy recoil of slugs.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

Attachments

• 95FD0621-EF3F-4238-984C-A37CC3D8F588.jpeg
      95FD0621-EF3F-4238-984C-A37CC3D8F588.jpeg
      41.2 KB · Views: 323
    • B77AD99E-AAC3-4FE9-A317-9A83C64D5F1B.jpg
      B77AD99E-AAC3-4FE9-A317-9A83C64D5F1B.jpg
      74.4 KB · Views: 310

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Good stuff. Thanks....

You are most welcome. All credit to original authors!

Be Safe / Stay Ready!

PS - it was sorta awhile back but, one of the IPs here (AmmoJon?) had some of the Federal LE w Flite Control wads. Tis’ the shizzit :thumbsup:

From Nate Parker:

Final Thoughts

So, we have ruled out birdshot, ruled out less lethal or other gimmick loads, and considered our options with buckshot. Which buckshot load we choose, well it depends. It depends on what you need your shotgun to do, and how it shoots the different loads. Shotguns are kind of like fingerprints, each one will shoot loads a little differently than the next. The important part is to figure out what you need in terms of likely engagement distance, pick a load, and then pattern that load at that distance. Once you get to about an 8” pattern, that is in my opinion (which is worth what you are paying for it) about the maximum useful range of that buckshot load. Much further and it will become too difficult to keep the entirety of the pattern on a target. Remember, we aren’t allowed to miss, so keep that in mind.

Jan 28, 2013
    I might just forgo the buckshot and use low-recoil slugs so that I don't have to worry about wide patterns, or trek out to Baltimore to verify my setup is safe. Maybe this is the excuse I need to get a carbine.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    The guys I hunt with run buck shot. Land owner requires it on drives. I’ll just say that it’s a terror. You don’t wanna get stung by that.

I have a pic, a hit in a deer but it’s pretty graphic so I hesitate to post. Let’s just say buck will get it done. And the distances are longer than self defense range. Closer will be tighter.

That paper shows well, but doesn’t convey the physical damage like the pig pic sorta does.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I think you are over-anticipating the recoil of a 12 ga. especially if you are not using magnum loads.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To stir never-ending controversy , two such topics are ; " What constitutes acceptable Buckshot performance/ patterns ? " and " What are HD distances ? " ( freely substitute SD for HD )

Every Firearm/ Ammunition combination Needs to be tested , at least for function .

Every shotgun Should be patterned . ( Word choice deliberate )

( I know the thread is about HD , but the discussion is essentially identical for hunting .)

What's acceptable Buckshot pattern/ groups ? 100% into 8 inches ? 12 inches ? 30 inches ?

Fist sized group ? All pellets on torso of life size -ish sillouette target ? Most pellets , with occasional flier ? About half the pellets ? 3 pellets Hitting more or less vital area ?

Or at the extreme , I had this tale told to me in complete seriousness , paraphrased :

He saw Deer 100yds away.
    He shot at it with Buckshot.
    All five rounds of buckshot in the gun .
    Cumulatively , a couple of pellets hit Bambi's chest , and Bambi eventually fell down and died .

So therefore , Buckshot works perfectly @ 100yds .

All that said, for random off the rack shotgun , using random generic buckshot loads , would optimally intend distance of about 15 yds .

Worst case combination , would keep all the pellets inside ( scoring rings of B-27) at single digit yards. Is your Home Defense distances more than 30 feet ?

OR. Have big stack of different buckshot loads to test and/ or careful buckshot handloads , through either purpose designed choke tubes, or fixed bbl with custom barell work can reliably put sufficient pellets in deer chest sized area at 50 plus yards .

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I mean really---what is the biggest room in your house---at "social" distances--across the living room or down the hall you wont get much spread--look at 10 yard pattern above

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    "Patterning" as you would with birdshot is a process where you want a load that puts about 3/4 of the shot in a 30" circle at a given range, 25yds for IC, up to 40yds for Full, you want a relatively even pattern centered over the bead. This is useless for a HD shotgun, as most decent loads will produce a pattern under 6" out to around 25 yards from a IC barrel. The main issues aren't so much pattern, but shot placement relative to the bead and reliability. Some hulls can swell enough to jam, or might have issues feeding or cycling autos, they can also vary wildly in POI vs POA, a slug might hit more than a foot high vs a managed recoil buckshot load at relatively close range. Recoil control is important, IMO ALWAYS use managed recoil loads, Federal's flite control 00 managed recoil are IMO the best, they have plenty of power, but followup shots are much easier. Running a shotgun well is hard, lots of recoil, slow shots, it's usually a large weapon, and very low capacity that is hard to quickly reload, most everyone is better off with a carbine IMO. If you insist on using a shotgun, loading and running it are really important, knowing where the shot or slug will hit is also really important, how "pretty" the pattern looks is really low on the list.

Jan 28, 2013
    Thanks for all the advice, this helped me sort through priorities. I'm going to use whatever I can shoot at the nearest range, and if I don't get proficient enough I'll look for a carbine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom