BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    is it technically a sbr?
    A brace and all that rot?
    The angle scope to barrel is amazing.

May 13, 2005
    "Avila said adding that if he can make a 1 mile shot with the brace, an officer in a 25-75 yard engagement facing off against a threat should have no problem ending the threat with one shot."

Really? Lol... Great shot, but either completely naive or just a arrogant prick.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Dude makes an accurate handgun shot over 1 mile

2010 yards with a 10mm pistol

https://www.breitbart.com/border/20...-sets-record-for-worlds-longest-handgun-shot/

I'll take "Stuff I can't do" for $1,000, Alex!

VERY interesting side note from the article:
    After a lifetime of police work behind the scenes on both sides of the border, Avila, a special agent with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, first made headlines in February 2011 after he and his partner Special Agent Jaime Zapata were shot numerous times by members of Los Zetas cartel. The ambush occurred as the two traveled along a Mexican highway in a diplomatic vehicle. Avila sustained two gunshots — Zapata died from at least three. In the aftermath of the case, an investigation revealed that the rifle that killed Zapata had been purchased by Los Zetas during the Obama administration’s controversial “Fast and Furious” gun-running operation.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    "Avila said adding that if he can make a 1 mile shot with the brace, an officer in a 25-75 yard engagement facing off against a threat should have no problem ending the threat with one shot."

Really? Lol... Great shot, but either completely naive or just a arrogant prick.
    :thumbsup:
    Because EVERYONE knows that shooting back at someone who is threatening you with deadly force in a force on force police shooting situation... is the same as calmly standing and shooting at a fixed target which presents no threat to the shooter AT ALL. :rolleyes:

What a stupid thing for him to say. :tdown:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Because EVERYONE knows that shooting back at someone who is threatening you with deadly force in a force on force police shooting situation... is the same as calmly standing and shooting at a fixed target which presents no threat to the shooter AT ALL. :rolleyes:

I don't think he's talking about a fast moving tactical situation. The shot and his interview were a marketing ploy for the product:

It was during one of those events that Avila met with a group of individuals from USA1Shot, a company that developed a rapidly deployable brace attachment for handguns aimed at helping law enforcement officers have the stability of a rifle while using their service handgun. The tool is meant to be carried in an officer’s belt giving him rapid access.

So his comment, taken together with the product description, sounds like he's talking about an aimed shot in a critical situation where you wish you had a police sniper available, or AR at the very least. You don't, so you use the brace.

IANALE, but I can think of a few situations from events in the news where it could have been useful.

He should have added more context to his statement, OTOH perhaps he did and the writer left it out.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010

I think you’re taking his comment out of context. This guy was ambushed and wounded in an assassination where his partner was murdered. He goes around as a public speaker trying to motivate people. There is nothing wrong with encouraging law enforcement to be better marksmen.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I think you’re taking his comment out of context.

I think the writer of that article left out some very important context regarding the intent of the brace, and his comment about police.

Following up on my previous comment, I found this:

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2015/07/usa-1shot-dynamic-pistol-rest/#ixzz6ZGqlkCLC
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

OK, But Why a Dynamic Pistol Rest?

APS conducted a study of active shooter incidents over the past decade. They discovered that first responders were most often motorcycle cops who have the ability to weave through traffic quicker than a cruiser.

Armed with handguns against a madman with a rifle, many of these officers indicated that they could use something better than a pistol or a 14” shotgun.

When SWAT officers show up to these incidents they may come loaded for bear with the big guns: M4s, Sniper rifles, SMGs, etc. However in many instances officers may have to move through pedestrian trafficked areas in a shopping mall, school or office complex toward the threat.

https://www.ammoland.com/2015/07/usa-1shot-dynamic-pistol-rest/#axzz6ZGpjz289

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    is it technically a sbr?
    A brace and all that rot?
    The angle scope to barrel is amazing.

No, because it doesn't permanently attach to the pistol, it has a cup like end that the grip rests in and you hold them together with your hand.

According to company statements it's treated as a bench rest, not an attached brace.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

It seems like this was a PR event from the company producing the brace. His comment is essentially just marketing the brace. He's just saying the brace gives you the ability to be much more accurate with a pistol than firing it the traditional way. Basicallly, "If I can hit a target at a mile, 50 yards is highly doable with this brace".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom