• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    The 70s shrouded version. Prancing colt or no prancing colt on the side plate?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There should be the Rampant Colt on the side plate but it's not unheard of for the occasional example to escape the factory without one. If the gun has been refinished it could be polished off...but that's less likely as refinishing one is not easy with the frame being aluminum and barrel and cylinder being steel.

Is this one of the Parkerized Agents? That would date it to the 1980s. If it is I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Rampant Colt was missing. As a cost cutting measure and a shortage of polishers during a long strike, Colt gave a few models a Parkerized finish to get product out the door. Some looked fine...some were rough looking but all were very serviceable revolvers.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Photo appear parked. Frame looks blotchy, barrel has clear markings and it and the cyl are darker than frame. Wears pach grips that i see sometimes on agents of this era ( were they factory w/0 colt medallion?). This gun a shade under $500.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It would not be at surprising to see the cylinder and barrel darker than the frame. The splotchy look can be from the parkerizing holding oils or possibly even be uneven application. It would have come originally with smooth or possibly checkered wood stocks from the factory...usually smooth but the factory installed whatever was next in the parts bin. Pachmayrs installed by the factory would have the Colt medallion...if it has the Pachmayr medallion or none at all the stocks were installed aftermarket.

I think $500 is top of the market for it (without personally examining it). It's not a bad price but with non-original stocks it should be a bit less...$450 is closer to the mark. A few years ago I bought a perfect Agent like that for $400 in an auction but admittedly I was the only bidder...it should have gone for more. In fact...I just checked mine...it has no Rampant Colt on the side plate either.

My rule of thumb in collecting Colt revolvers is that any Colt double-action revolver in good mechanical condition is worth a minimum of $400 unless it's really trashed. Some of the best shooters look pretty sketchy.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I just visited the dealer to pick up a sw 19 2.5” and he plunked down in front of me a sw 36, pinned barrel, square cyl release, rd butt, factory grips in nickel plate. Dirty but seems perfect under the dirt. He said $400 and i have a neat little revolver. Where does this end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom