• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I flew my wife in from New York today to see this house. We stomped all over the house, drove through the neighborhood, drove through the neighborhood behind the house, and took a quick ride to Mutual Elementary school. Mama gave two thumbs up and our realtor is working on the paperwork tomorrow morning to place our offer.

Ryan Lowry (IP here) has been an excellent, flexible, and easy to work with lender through this process and the same process four years ago.

Wish us luck that the sellers accept our offer and inspections uncover nothing scary.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Nice!! Congrats!!
    I flew my wife in from New York today to see this house. We stomped all over the house, drove through the neighborhood, drove through the neighborhood behind the house, and took a quick ride to Mutual Elementary school. Mama gave two thumbs up and our realtor is working on the paperwork tomorrow morning to place our offer.

Ryan Lowry (IP here) has been an excellent, flexible, and easy to work with lender through this process and the same process four years ago.

Wish us luck that the sellers accept our offer and inspections uncover nothing scary.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    What is done if an excessive amount of radon is discovered? The house has a completely finished basement.

'mitigation'

One way of reducing radon is to drill the slab and hook up a fan that creates a slight vacuum underneath and exhausts the air above roofline. Costs a couple of $1000 to install at the back end. Easy to do during rough-in.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    If anyone's following, we finally came to an agreement on price. The appraisal has been ordered and inspections all take place this Thursday. Here we go!

Azmo

Sep 7, 2011
    Calvert County
    Welcome to s'lower maryland... We built our house in Huntingtown in 2002... No regrets on anything except it is still in Maryland... Don't need big box stores or 500 different chain food joints.. Country living with just a hint of towny feeling... Hope you enjoy...

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Welcome to the neighborhood. I live a two minutes from the school. Its a great school, my kids went there. You will love it.

Two minutes from a school means nothing in Calvert County!!!

My nieces and nephew live off Dares Beach Road less than two minutes from Calvert High in Prince Frederick and were sent to Huntingtown High, 8 miles away!! Hell, they waved to the kids at Calvert as they passed on their way to school.

bhtr

Feb 1, 2013
    Calvert County,
    Welcome to s'lower maryland... We built our house in Huntingtown in 2002... No regrets on anything except it is still in Maryland... Don't need big box stores or 500 different chain food joints.. Country living with just a hint of towny feeling... Hope you enjoy...

This...though they are trying to wreck what is great about our county with what some think we need.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Inspections all took place today. Good news and bad news. The house and HVAC is in great shape and both passed with flying colors. The well water results will come back on Wednesday, and the radon results should be in by Monday. The septic.... failed miserably. The drain field is done.

History shows this house killing septic systems every 15 years or so. House built in 1989, septic 1 replaced in 2005, septic 2 found dead today. Does that seem normal to you all?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Inspections all took place today. Good news and bad news. The house and HVAC is in great shape and both passed with flying colors. The well water results will come back on Wednesday, and the radon results should be in by Monday. The septic.... failed miserably. The drain field is done.

History shows this house killing septic systems every 15 years or so. House built in 1989, septic 1 replaced in 2005, septic 2 found dead today. Does that seem normal to you all?

Walk away. Sorry man. The new system they're going to make you install will run your wallet dry.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    That's the sellers problem. We're already under contract, which includes a working and legal waste system. This won't cost me a thing.

Even if the seller pays to replace the drain field, your problem is now that you are going to be on your 'R2' reserve field. It sounds like your ground may not be all that great for a septic system, so once you clog up the R2 field you are in a difficult situation. I dont believe MD allows you to go back to the initial field and you may have to move to a 'mound' style aboveground system.

I would walk.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Even if the seller pays to replace the drain field, your problem is now that you are going to be on your 'R2' reserve field. It sounds like your ground may not be all that great for a septic system, so once you clog up the R2 field you are in a difficult situation. I dont believe MD allows you to go back to the initial field and you may have to move to a 'mound' style aboveground system.

I would walk.
    Ask County what future options would be ...https://www.calverthealth.org/community/environmentalhealthservices/septic.htm

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    That is a topic that I'm having the realtor put into the "fix it" contract; the county needs to identify where the next drain field can go. I don't want to move in and have a huge pile of Maryland ******** in 15 years because the first two drain field areas have already been eliminated.

A mound in the future wouldn't be so bad if they let me put it in a specific place, as that area would help to level that downhill part of the yard. :)

Thanks for the link. I'm a reader and enjoy absorbing info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom