• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I went beans on my VP9SK and have yet to fire a round through it.

So far I have replaced trigger with Lone Wolf trigger. Installed spring kit, aluminum striker sleeve, and solid slide plate.

I sent the slide out to have the front cocking serrations milled and a Holosun MRD milled (irons forward) and mounted w/ suppr height night sights.

It is currently out for cerakote and having the barrel TiN coated.

Eventually I may buy new slide releases and takedown and have them TiN coated so I don't have to have it apart until the new parts arrive.
    Also looking at the Olight PL-Mini2 light.

Considering if I want to get a threaded barrel and the Parker Mountain Machine comp, but that might be a tad long in the barrel for a compact pistol.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016

So far I have replaced trigger with Lone Wolf trigger. Installed spring kit, aluminum striker sleeve, and solid slide plate.

I sent the slide out to have the front cocking serrations milled and a Holosun MRD milled (irons forward) and mounted w/ suppr height night sights.

Eventually I may buy new slide releases and takedown and have them TiN coated so I don't have to have it apart until the new parts arrive.

Considering if I want to get a threaded barrel and the Parker Mountain Machine comp, but that might be a tad long in the barrel for a compact pistol.

Sounds like it will be real nice when you get it together.

The TiNi, is that local or did you have to send it off? I have a local coater but don't know of anyone in driving distance doing TiNi.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I went through HK, Sig, Beretta, before returning to Glock.

I shoot my HK the best, but with everything but the Glock, my thumb has a tendency to ride the slide lock and so fails to lock back on an empty mag. The glock slide lock is that perfect distance where no matter where my thumb is, i do not accidentally ride the slide lock. This seemingly small difference is what keeps me going back to my glock every time. It just works for me.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I thought this was a good write-up, you identified what guns you were comparing right away, anyone that thinks your choice of comparison subjects could have been better could have stopped reading right there if they wanted to.
    I have handled, but never shot the VP9, I have a USP 45C and that's all the HK I own at the moment. I do have a G35 with two KKM barrels, 357 Sig and 9mm, trigger mods similar to yours (but a little less extravagant). Nice gun though, shoots all three rounds well and without major sight changes (Dawson Precision FO adjustables). I also have a G32C with a KKM 9mm barrel (non ported), but I have a carry trigger on it, smooth but heavy enough to keep me safe (I don't think carry guns should have competition weight triggers). Both of these KKM 9mm barrels run fine from day one, but I have had conversion barrels that gave me problems with reliability in the past. Sometimes, I think it's luck of the draw with frame/slide/conv. barrel tolerances and and they are just off enough to give problems like that.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I thought this was a good write-up, you identified what guns you were comparing right away, anyone that thinks your choice of comparison subjects could have been better could have stopped reading right there if they wanted to.
    I have handled, but never shot the VP9, I have a USP 45C and that's all the HK I own at the moment. I do have a G35 with two KKM barrels, 357 Sig and 9mm, trigger mods similar to yours (but a little less extravagant). Nice gun though, shoots all three rounds well and without major sight changes (Dawson Precision FO adjustables). I also have a G32C with a KKM 9mm barrel (non ported), but I have a carry trigger on it, smooth but heavy enough to keep me safe (I don't think carry guns should have competition weight triggers). Both of these KKM 9mm barrels run fine from day one, but I have had conversion barrels that gave me problems with reliability in the past. Sometimes, I think it's luck of the draw with frame/slide/conv. barrel tolerances and and they are just off enough to give problems like that.

I also have a Glock that I call my Glockenstein.

Started life as a G20, where all I did was install a 3.5 connector and a Lone Wolf barrel. I then converted it to a G21L with 460 Rowland, 10mm and 40 Super barrels w/ 24# spring and steel rod. Had it cerakoted Kryptek Highlander and put on an extended beavertail add on that gave me fits (guy swore it was for a G20/21, but I think he lied). Eventually I will replace the whole trigger pack if Apex ever makes one for the large frame pistols. Also thinking of getting a different comp for the Rowland than the Lone Wolf Distr one.

I wouldn't even consider comparing it to the VP9SK. Completely different animals.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    ...I wouldn't even consider comparing it to the VP9SK. Completely different animals.
    Sounds like a hard hitting critter though, I have the G40 and 41 also, but I'm not in love with the G40 as it sits, I'm not loving the Burris FFIII & G40 accuracy combo. Not sure yet though, I need to test some more ammo for it, maybe I'll stumble on to something that goes inside 3" @50yds, then I'd call it good, I guess.
    Anybody have a G40 with a stock barrel's favorite factory load? I don't have dies for it yet.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau

Do you mean to say you have not shot the VP9SK at all before sending it out for the work?

PorP

Mar 11, 2016

Started life as a G20, where all I did was install a 3.5 connector and a Lone Wolf barrel. I then converted it to a G21L with 460 Rowland, 10mm and 40 Super barrels w/ 24# spring and steel rod. Had it cerakoted Kryptek Highlander and put on an extended beavertail add on that gave me fits (guy swore it was for a G20/21, but I think he lied). Eventually I will replace the whole trigger pack if Apex ever makes one for the large frame pistols. Also thinking of getting a different comp for the Rowland than the Lone Wolf Distr one.

I wouldn't even consider comparing it to the VP9SK. Completely different animals.

I've shot the fnh with the Rowland package. Whatever compensator he had on that gun, just worked great. A lot less recoil than I thought.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016

I shoot my HK the best, but with everything but the Glock, my thumb has a tendency to ride the slide lock and so fails to lock back on an empty mag. The glock slide lock is that perfect distance where no matter where my thumb is, i do not accidentally ride the slide lock. This seemingly small difference is what keeps me going back to my glock every time. It just works for me.

I totally understand, anything im not totally comfy holding equals disappointing shooting. I have a dan Wilson 96a1 that's left my safe twice that can attest to that.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    There's also a nice looking copper coating I was considering for my S&W revolver, but Brazen doesn't do it. Trying to remember who I saw that had a revolver on their PVD page. Forgot to bookmark it.

If I run across it, I'll post, I do a lot of searching lol.
    I also like the war torn patterns (or whatever they call the pattern) with bronze as the base and black outer. Think maybe I saw it with maple leaf?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Just throwing this out there...copper alloys are adversely affected by many bore cleaning solvents...especially those with ammonia. Many nickel plated guns have a copper base layer to bond the nickel to the gun. Application of bore solvents more than briefly will affect the nickel coating by deteriorating the copper beneath it.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Just throwing this out there...copper alloys are adversely affected by many bore cleaning solvents...especially those with ammonia. Many nickel plated guns have a copper base layer to bond the nickel to the gun. Application of bore solvents more than briefly will affect the nickel coating by deteriorating the copper beneath it.

I should have been more descriptive. It's a copper 'looking' PVD coating.
    42394581_1758502000871700_3216032040495349760_n.jpg

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    There's also a nice looking copper coating I was considering for my S&W revolver, but Brazen doesn't do it. Trying to remember who I saw that had a revolver on their PVD page. Forgot to bookmark it.

I took your advice and visited their page. Ended up paying for 2 barrels to get the polished TiN treatment and a tri- port slide mill. Im making my own version of the TTI G34 in John wick 3 so I think that will all work out well.

I had already bought a vortex viper red dot for it and they won't slide melt for vortex so I'll end up having zeroed in armory do that.

Thanks for the pointer to brazen.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Was the first handgun you shot a Glock?

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I took your advice and visited their page. Ended up paying for 2 barrels to get the polished TiN treatment and a tri- port slide mill. Im making my own version of the TTI G34 in John wick 3 so I think that will all work out well.

I had already bought a vortex viper red dot for it and they won't slide melt for vortex so I'll end up having zeroed in armory do that.

Thanks for the pointer to brazen.

Glad for the assist. I just got my barrel back and waiting for the snakeskin cerakote to be finished on my VP9SK slide and grip panels. It's gonna look awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom