• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joncorleone

Sep 1, 2019
    If you are going to trade in a firearm, would it better to revert it back to as stock form as possible or keep the small upgrades I’ve done? I didn’t do anything to affect function, mainly just add a laser/light and some extended base pads for oem magazines. I’m thinking of trading in my M&P shield 9mm cause honestly I don’t even shoot it that much. Loving my cz75b too much.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Most custom touches are personal...what might be a great modification for you might turn someone else off. It's difficult to say...it all depends on what mods you've made. I do think as close to stock as possible will attract more interest but basically...it just depends.

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    i have been treated fairly on a trade at both hendershots and atlantic firearms. i rarely pay extra for accessories, and even at auction, if an optic is not leupold or better, nobody cares. only time i saw an optic drive up the net price was on an 8-900 bolt gun with a svarski scope

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Trading is potentially better deal than selling to a dealer . But it's a multiple variable situation , with comparison wholesale value of yours , how many similar dlr has in inventory already , the dealer's cost basis of the desired new to you gun , percieved market demands all around .

OTOH , you can frequently do quite well trading with private individuals . particularly for dissimilar types of firearms . I know that when I had done a trade with an MDS'er , we were both very pleased . Hang on to it for " trade bait " , and whenever you are hanging with fellow shooters ask if anyone has anything they're looking to trade .

Or even try MDS classified, after you do some more legit posts .

Joncorleone

Sep 1, 2019
    I’m going to take it to one of the IPs here and see what they offer. Of course I know I’m going to lose money on it but again, I pretty much don’t care for it so I’d rather get something I’ll really use instead of it just sitting around.

Learned my lesson. Definitely buy once cry once now.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Buy/ Cry gets thrown around a lot , but that doesn't really apply here . The bottom line is that you discovered that you prefer shooting a ( very good ) full size , metal frame DA/SA more than a (very good) compact bordering to subcompact polymer striker fired 9mm .

* For What It Is * , a Shield is by no means inferior or deficient . I would say it is above average for its catagory , and give a reasonable approach to being an " all around pistol " .

Joncorleone

Sep 1, 2019
    Well said. Definitely agree that the shield is not inferior. Very high remarks on the gun and the 2.0 is supposed to be even better.
    Definitely prefer full size guns at the moment. Have my eye on a Glock 34 so if I get a decent value for the shield then that may be the replacement.

As of right now, size wise, I probably would not want to go below the size of a glock 19. The compact/sub compact size of the shield just isn’t for me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ahhh ! Now , you are getting into further multiple variables , even within the context of +/- full size , with no right or wrong answers , just personal preference ( or not) :

Striker vs DA/ SA
    Polymer vs Metal
    Exact grip shape vs Exact grip shape .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Even though I've already participated in this thread , I'll throw another observation .

Despite Original ( aka Gen 1 ) Shields being most excellent pistols of their type , they are currently in a " Peculiar Situation of Marketing " .

With the sucuessful introduction of the Shield Gen 2.0 , S&W is highly incentivizing the remaining inventory of Gen 1 . I just gave one as Christmas gift @ $299 plus $50 rebate !

The Good News is a screaming deal for buyers.
    The Bad News is the Trade in value/ Sell to Dealer value will be similarly depress while blow out wholesale prices are in effect .

Not withstanding the " Never Sell a Gun " philosophy , in this particular instance , waiting a year or so would have you in a more ( long term normal) bargaining position with a Dealer .

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Holy crap, OP, you're joncorleone, find a dealer and make him an offer he can't refuse...
    Now, seriously, I tend to max out a gun with accessories sometimes and then, for whatever reason, I just "fall out of love" with it, and it's well... dead to me.
    When I go to sell it, I will strip off the stuff I've added and return it to stock, making sure to op check it and make sure I'm selling a safe, functional firearm. Then I will sometimes stash the custom or add on stuff ('cause hey, you never know, right?), or maybe I'll sell the pieces parts and pass them on to someone else that can use them. This leaves me with lots of Glock, AR, M1A and 1911 parts, even a few S&W and Ruger parts in little plastic drawers. Some stuff I have ended up hanging on to is "fad" stuff, like I had an M4 clone in the early 2000s, you could describe it without even seeing it, I'm sure; big, fat coarse quad rails, vertical fore grip, bipod, big scope, red dot, light, laser, butt stock spare mag carrier, 40' of tactical web slingery, etc. Still have the base rifle, but much lightened up. And a box full of crap, waiting for the next time those suddenly become the latest retro fad; "build a 14 lb 2000 vintage M4orgery, just like dad had way back!"...
    As for stuff like optics on a rifle? No, you will lose money in the sale by throwing in a scope, either to a dealer or a private buyer. Your idea of a perfect scope and the next owners will seldom coincide. Sell a stripped, stock rifle, keep the scope or sell it separate. I guess that would go with lights & lasers, too. Night sights are a different story, I let them go with the gun, generally.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Also if you advertise it to another shooter, don’t call it used, call it “like NIB.” It’s a better way of saying used....

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Also if you advertise it to another shooter, don’t call it used, call it “like NIB.” It’s a better way of saying used....

OH. MY. GOD!!! Do I hate when someone else uses the term "LNIB"! The ONLY thing that means is by some cosmic mistake, they managed to keep the box they got it in back when Roses was selling guns...:sad20:

Now when I use it, that's a whole 'nother story! :innocent0

I've actually thought about that whole thing objectively, and have come to the conclusion that as flawed human beings, when we buy a nice, shiny new gun, we tend to see it in that light always, and if, over the years we carefully handle and use a gun and don't drop it, slide it on a concrete shooting bench, booger (sorry) the threads, or give it years of rough holster wear, we tend to look through the slight, honest areas of edge wear or lightening of the finish on the back strap or sight edges, and we still think we are looking at a gun that is, well, like new in the box...

The buyer is always more objective then the seller.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    OH. MY. GOD!!! Do I hate when someone else uses the term "LNIB"! The ONLY thing that means is by some cosmic mistake, they managed to keep the box they got it in back when Roses was selling guns...:sad20:

Now when I use it, that's a whole 'nother story! :innocent0

I've actually thought about that whole thing objectively, and have come to the conclusion that as flawed human beings, when we buy a nice, shiny new gun, we tend to see it in that light always, and if, over the years we carefully handle and use a gun and don't drop it, slide it on a concrete shooting bench, booger (sorry) the threads, or give it years of rough holster wear, we tend to look through the slight, honest areas of edge wear or lightening of the finish on the back strap or sight edges, and we still think we are looking at a gun that is, well, like new in the box...

The buyer is always more objective then the seller.

To me I see it like I do pregnancy, you either are or aren’t :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom