• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    In the ideal situation, you would always be in a virtual Arms Race with your Wife or GF.
    Yeah man.

I was just thinking about “losing” a diamond ring (accessory) when my college squeeze and I parted company suddenly/unhappily...

Some goys accessorize with one or more kids, waterfront houses and Bentley’s. I guess my trade in didn’t go so badly.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Even though I've already participated in this thread , I'll throw another observation .

Despite Original ( aka Gen 1 ) Shields being most excellent pistols of their type , they are currently in a " Peculiar Situation of Marketing " .

With the sucuessful introduction of the Shield Gen 2.0 , S&W is highly incentivizing the remaining inventory of Gen 1 . I just gave one as Christmas gift @ $299 plus $50 rebate !

The Good News is a screaming deal for buyers.
    The Bad News is the Trade in value/ Sell to Dealer value will be similarly depress while blow out wholesale prices are in effect .

Not withstanding the " Never Sell a Gun " philosophy , in this particular instance , waiting a year or so would have you in a more ( long term normal) bargaining position with a Dealer .

If new ones can be had for $300, I'd say you'd be very lucky to get $150 for yours in trade or sale to a dealer (a private sale would get you more, but, unless you know a buyer already, you'd have to wait and work for it).

Money is money...but for $150, I'd be inclined to keep it around as a backup...like a bathroom gun or something. It doesn't sound like you can't shoot it or just hate it, and it doesn't sound like trading it is going to get you halfway to the G34 (an excellent choice;) ). I think you'd be better off scraping up another $150 to have a spare pistol...but it isn't my $150 to scrape up :shrug:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The typical , relatively honest , rule of thumb is for a dealer to offer 2/3 of their expected selling price as a used gun in their display case AND always meaningfully less than their wholesale cost fot a new one of that gun . Figure low 200's in the dealer's case , puts you $150-ish .

Further adjust depending upon that dealer's current inventory . If he is already well stocked with either Shields specifically, or subcompact 9mm generally , it would be estimated to either take longer to sell , or undercut some of his other inventory . So he would be inclined to offer even less .

I have seen reputable dealers tell people straight up they had no current need for ( whatever ) , only if they double dog demanded an offer , any offer , they would offer an extremely low ball number .

Unless you really need $100 to put food on the table, hang on to it for the moment . Be potential trade bait to private person who has somthing you want . Be a loaner for a friend or family member . Even be a potential gift for friend or family member in need of such a Piece .

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    OH. MY. GOD!!! Do I hate when someone else uses the term "LNIB"! The ONLY thing that means is by some cosmic mistake, they managed to keep the box they got it in back when Roses was selling guns...:sad20:

Now when I use it, that's a whole 'nother story! :innocent0

I've actually thought about that whole thing objectively, and have come to the conclusion that as flawed human beings, when we buy a nice, shiny new gun, we tend to see it in that light always, and if, over the years we carefully handle and use a gun and don't drop it, slide it on a concrete shooting bench, booger (sorry) the threads, or give it years of rough holster wear, we tend to look through the slight, honest areas of edge wear or lightening of the finish on the back strap or sight edges, and we still think we are looking at a gun that is, well, like new in the box...

The buyer is always more objective then the seller.

I have a USED .300 WinMag long range platform I'm considering putting up for sale with all my accouterments specific to it, like dies and powder/bullets, and I have never been tempted to mis-represent what it is when selling it.

Common sense says if you're handing over the methods to place heavy bullets in precise locations at a kilometer plus, you make sure the person walking away with it is satisfied with their deal. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom