• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gbalog

Apr 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Looking at Colt's website yesterday, I saw the new Black Army 1911 as being "restricted" in CA, MA and MD. Yet the new 1911 Classic , which seems to be the same pistol except for the color, is only restricted in CA and MA. What am I missing here? Is the 1911 Classic OK in MD? Please help.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    My guess is that it's not on the MSP approved list. Someone would have to petition the State to approve it as an addition to a previously approved handgun. Stupid...yes. I had to petition the State to approve a Ruger Blackhawk in 10mm as a caliber addition. Blackhawks are approved in other calibers...just not that one. When I filled out the paperwork I had to list the barrel length...6 1/2". They only approved it in that length...not the same revolver with a 4 1/2" barrel. Go figure.

gbalog

Apr 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Thank you, sir. So if I would wish to purchase this gun...I would have to petition the board for approval? Might I ask how long it took for approval of your Ruger?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It took a couple of months...it all depends on when you send in your petition (has to go snail mail) and whenever the Roster Board schedules their next hearing. You can always give a call to the MSP firearms section and get a real ruling. Colt may be mistaken on their website.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I'd be really surprised if MSP flagged that if you submitted paperwork for it. If they did, I suspect it could be cleared up with a phone call from the FFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom