• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I'm a relative newbie at reloading only about 3yrs now but in the several thousand 5.56 rounds with cci no400 that I have reloaded and fire today was my first primer failure. Rechambered and tried it a couple times still no go. How many of you have ever experienced this?

Attachments

• KIMG0235.JPG
      KIMG0235.JPG
      97 KB · Views: 191

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Same here. CCI

Thousands and thousands of reloads and no more than a few were duds.

Some of the ones that were duds were due to light hammer strikes.

Definitely not the case with your pic. That puppy shoulda gone KABOOM!

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I'd pull the bullet and make sure there's powder in there to be sure. Thats happened to me on my hand trickled loads 2x. I've yet to get it i the progressive tho.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I'd pull the bullet and make sure there's powder in there to be sure. Thats happened to me on my hand trickled loads 2x. I've yet to get it i the progressive tho.

Not a bad idea. I have had a squid before because of no powder but the bullet exited the case and was lodged just into the rifling.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Primer failures are just something that happens from time to time - remember that there is a machine making thousands of those little itty bitty cups per hour. One crumb, jitter or anything and either the anvil does not end up in there correctly or some even come without the explosive compound but three anvils in there :innocent0 Berdan primers are a little bit less complicated to manufacture, thus a slightly lower failure rate (and guess why they end up in mil. ammo).

And yea, experienced that as well, depending on brand you get 1-3 in a 5k box. If the primer goes off, it will push the bullet out. So yea, take apart that round but I doubt that it was a powderless case.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    As already stated, they do happen from time to time. I've been lucky, I only recall maybe 2 in over 40 years. I'm very particular about not touching the primers. The slightest oil or case lube on your fingers is enough to kill a primer

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would carefully decap and see if there is any priming compound and an anvil in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom