• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    A lot. They eat a few pounds of food a day.

The point is, he’s poaching when he doesn’t even have to, since based on description he isn’t reporting harvests. Though I suspect based on location and description he’s probably also at least exceeding bag limits and probably also hunting outside seasons.

But some people don’t really care about proper management of wildlife, other people, etc.

Wtf? Was this directed twords me or someone else?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Lazarus appears to have been referring to Muleskinner's Uncle .

But as Bigman points out , there is nothing presented that whomever is disregarding seasons, bag limits, disrespecting neighbors, or stymieing wildlife management ( other than indirectly with with harvest not being a data point ).

Heck, I've hunted either my own property, or out of state for quite a while , and I & Biggfootette follow all the seasons, etc . , other than purchasing Md Lic . ( Yes, she has HS .)

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    If he lives there he doesn't need a Lic .

Lazarus appears to have been referring to Muleskinner's Uncle .

But as Bigman points out , there is nothing presented that whomever is disregarding seasons, bag limits, disrespecting neighbors, or stymieing wildlife management ( other than indirectly with with harvest not being a data point ).

Heck, I've hunted either my own property, or out of state for quite a while , and I & Biggfootette follow all the seasons, etc . , other than purchasing Md Lic . ( Yes, she has HS .)

OK I understand you were referring to bigfoots uncle not the OP!!!!!

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    A Maryland resident that is the land owner is not required to buy a license. They do not need to live there.

You are not required to possess a Maryland
    hunting license if you are:
    • a resident of Maryland (or their spouse)
    who owns property and who hunts only
    on that property. This also applies to:
    » The landowner’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16.
    » The landowner’s children and grandchildren, and the spouse of the children or grandchildren, regardless of
    age, if the child, grandchild, or their
    spouse lives on the property, or has
    worked on the property for at least
    30 days during the preceding 12
    months, or manages the property.
    (Each person must individually qualify
    under these criteria. To qualify for this
    exemption, a landowner does not need
    to live on the property but must be able
    to prove ownership.)

Yes but you still must have a DNR ID, and that is the only land you can hunt. With your DNR ID you must also report all game taken.

That is the law anyway. People will do what they will do. If he is abiding by bag limits and such, he isn’t hurting me or anyone else really. If he isn’t, then that in itself is poor ethics regardless of the rest of it. Hunters need to be good stewards, otherwise they will find a way to take more of it away.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The animals are “property” of the state and residents of the states. I don’t agree with it, but that’s always the reasoning I have heard.

It’s a throwback to our British roots. All animals belonged to the king. I enjoy shooting the king’s deer, geese, ducks etc.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    It’s a throwback to our British roots. All animals belonged to the king. I enjoy shooting the king’s deer, geese, ducks etc.

What if the animals were contained to your property and birthed there? Are they your property? Could you be “farming” them?

What if one comes onto your property and then it is contained and gives birth; who owns the mother and offspring?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Wtf? Was this directed twords me or someone else?

Sorry, yeah I meant to direct it towards Muleskinner.

Could be kosher other than just not knowing better on the license bit and it’s a shrug and a head scratch there. Or could be totally ignoring limits, seasons, etc. which hurts everyone else and isn’t cool.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What if the animals were contained to your property and birthed there? Are they your property? Could you be “farming” them?

What if one comes onto your property and then it is contained and gives birth; who owns the mother and offspring?

On your last, I don’t know. I don’t know what Maryland law is on the matter, but in general if you have a high fence and the animals are contained on the property it makes them effectively livestock and you can do what you want (other than cruel treatment as pet, livestock or wild animal it’s considered cruelty towards animals and a no-no ethically and legally).

MD might see it differently, I don’t know, but that’s how most states operate.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Why are you arguing a historical point with me? Do you seriously think I’m going to defend the concept of the “king’s deer”?

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009

The North American model of wildlife management is the exact opposite. Wildlife is a public trust that is managed by the government for the people. That is why it is impossible to permanently revoke someone’s hunting license, regardless of what they do. 5 years is the max in MD It is also why a landowner is able to hunt without a license on their propert in MD (most states do not extend this benefit to landowners)

At one time there were no regulations on hunting and the populations suffered from over hunting, mainly market hunting. Seasons and bag limits were imposed and licenses were established for the purpose of funding the agencies that manage wildlife and police poaching. Under federal law, Hunting license funds cannot be diverted to any other use

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Why are you arguing a historical point with me? Do you seriously think I’m going to defend the concept of the “king’s deer”?

No argument intended! Sorry you took it that way. Was speaking more in corollary terms regarding current events.

I’m aware of the history of the King’s domain.

While at Oxford my brother killed a goose on accident(long story). He had to write an apology to the queen and request to be forgiven/ pardoned.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    No argument intended! Sorry you took it that way. Was speaking more in corollary terms regarding current events.

I’m aware of the history of the King’s domain.

While at Oxford my brother killed a goose on accident(long story). He had to write an apology to the queen and request to be forgiven/ pardoned.

Gotcha. That's a great story about the letter to the Queen

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom