• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Ok guys as you can tell from my recent posts im putting together an spr type build. Im going to order the barrel from compass lake and I am looking at either a douglass 8 twist air guaged ss or a krieger 7.7 twist ss. The krieger is an extra $120 but is it worth it? I know the douglass is button rifled ant the krieger is cut rifled and hand lapped and from what I have read they are both very accurate but the kreiger may hold its accuracy longer.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Either one will probably out shoot you.

Also Shillen and Lilja as other choices of top barrels.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Douglas makes a very nice barrel. Krieger makes superb barrels. I have both, and have been happy with both. I'd lean towards Krieger if your doing an ultimate build. Call up WOA/Compass Lake and ask what kind of difference you could expect. I believe they'll give you a straight answer.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I have found that Krieger lasts longer. Both will shoot but, when you take barrel life into consideration, you will end up paying about as much per round fired over the course of the life of the barrel. The deciding factor is really how often you want to change barrels. If you change the barrel yourself, you save money over what a smith will charge also. I had a Krieger that cleaned the 600yd. stage at Ft. Meade with a documented 13,000 rounds through it. A Douglas is usually toast at about 3,000 rds. for that distance.
    Frank White at Compass Lake does excellent work!

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Thanks guys im gonna go with the krieger on this build. I spoke with compass lake and they said the same thing some of you said about the kreiger barrel lasting longer. They also said that being cut rifled and hand lapped it will foul less and clean up easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom