• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Anybody here messed with heavy lswc for the 45acp. Interested in essentially making a round for my 1911 that would replicate a 45 colt. My current manuals don't have much for heavy 45 ACP ammo.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I use cast 250-255 grain RNFP at about 750 fps in my pin gun. It is actually a .452" 45 Colt bullet but no issues with using it. The ogive would get jammed in the rifling so I sent the slide and barrel out with a dummy round to have the freebore cut for that bullet. You probably won't have that issue if you can seat the bullet deep enough to avoid the shoulder getting pressed into the rifling without a case bulge.

If you are lookng for 850-900 fps loads you will be in 45 +P or peeking at 45 Super territory. You are looking at powders like Unique or HS-6 for those weights and velocities. I can get data from my load manuals for those bullets when I get home. I don't recall my load for the 250@750 fps but can give it to you if you like.

That said, I do use a pin load for 230 ball that goes 895 fps and has no issues. A little close to +P pressures. It is recoil is noticable but not bad in a 1911 not set up for loads in that power range.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What he said.

2-3yrs ago John Taffin wrote up these loads in both GUNS and Handloader iirc .

As noted , RNFP will be more consistant in feeding . Your top end loads will be limited by slide battering before pressure per se . I don't recall the charge weights offhand , but the process was simple.

Unique .
    Work up to desired velocity.
    700-750 for general use . (duplicates SASS type heavy bullet loads in .45Colt.)
    For occasional hunting or bowling pin competion, upper 800's . Duplicates SAAMI level .45 Colt,.45acp +P pressures . Will generally give complete penetration on Bambi .

Hotter than that, and you're looking at .45Super territory, and that's a seperate discussion.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Thanks guys but now I think given what you are saying if I'm gonna load for it might as well go all out and upgrade one of my guns to handle 45 super and go that route.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have loaded 250gr Oregon Trail over 4.5gr of bullseye, feeds in a couple of my 1911s without a problem, knocks pins over pretty good, thumps, but not any worse than 230gr ball, mine clocks about 750FPS out of a 5" barrel

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I checked my 250 grain load. 4.8 grains of Bullseye

Midway LoadMAP shows a 255 grain cast SWC with Alliant powders
    Bullseye START: 3.3 grains __________ MAX: 4.2 grain (798 fps)
    Unique. START: 4.2 grains __________ MAX: 5.4 grains (848 fps)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom