• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Those were the days. Remember when Woolworths was selling M1 carbine for $45 :lol: K98 and all military surplus was sold out of a barrel? Loose 7 or 8mm cartridge were sold for . 15 cents per cartridge? I think that was in the early 70s.

don't forget Sears and Sawbuck (Roebuck) my dad bought a Win 94 30-30
    from them..

-Rock

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    My first centerfire rifle purchase was a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch, bought it years ago from a buddy new in the box for around $300 and I still haven't shot it.

My dad did give me an old single barrel .410 when I was 12 or 13, can't remember the exact manufacturer, but it was a mail order.
    It was used on the farm he grew up on when he was a kid. I always had to wait for it to cool down before the spent shell would extract. Shot at a few groundhogs with it, but never got one.

Last edited:

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    I think the first centerfire I bought was my Python. Didn't know a lot about it except that it was beautiful, and still is.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    First one I bought, not "loaned" to me by Dad, is a Remington 700 ADL 30-06. Year or two later had a gunsmith drop in a BDL hinged floor plate, got damn tired of having to run the bolt to eject all 5 rounds one at a time every time out. Still hunt with it today. 2 safes full of rifles and this is still my go to deer/bear rifle.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    A used Plainfield M1 carbine with a telescoping wire stock when I was in college. I bought it at a local hardware store. I learned why the PO sold it. Could not make through a 15 round mag without a FTF, FTE or a stove pipe. Sometimes all of them with a single mag. Taught me how to handle malfunctions. Had some serious cool factor to it. Wish I still had it.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Mine was a 1903 Springfield Sedgley Sporter in 30-06, still have it today.

Last edited:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    back in the late 70's there weren't too many lefty bolt options, so i bought a browning BLR (lever gun) in 308. best thing about that was that the trigger traveled with the lever so no pinched fingers. got my first deer with that one, sweet rifle. sold it recently as i have gravitated to bolt guns now that there are more options.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Savage 110 in 7mm mag. Light rifle that kicks like a mule. Killed a bunch of deer with it. Then i got old and retired it for a 308. Still kill deer but less pain to the shoulder. And the deer dont know the difference.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Model 94 Winchester in 30/30 - Santa had a manufacturer's license, go figure? Still have it but late middle-aged eyes and factory iron sights just don't work together anymore.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    My First Center Fire Rifle?

That's easy: My 1926 Lithgow Enfield No.1 MK III.

I paid $79 for it many years ago. I still own it.

Shooting 303B opened the door to reloading for me. This rifle is where it all began...

;)

Attachments

• SMLE Woodpile SNIP DSC01990 SNIP.jpg
      SMLE Woodpile SNIP DSC01990 SNIP.jpg
      97.6 KB · Views: 118

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads