• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD

Recently grabbed the Damage Industries MKIII Railed Forend and worked out a video of the installation and first impression. I am one of those guys that likes to hang all sorts of lights, lasers off of their rifles. That's one of the reasons I was always reluctant to get an AK. Well the AK bug bit me, and since then I have been thinking of what rail to run of my Arsenal SLR-106CR. After researching a few full rail systems I decided to give the DI MKIII Rail a try. Mainly because of it's price point and good looks. So far I am very happy with the decision. Now I can't wait to shoot this thing to see how it holds up against heat.

Some impressions
    : Overall the forend feels like a tank, goes together very easily and locks up solid! The price point and aesthetics are awesome (this particular rail was purchased on sale for $125) , which is the main reason we decided to give this rail a try. Machined aluminum with Mil-A-8625 Hardcoat Anodized protective finish, and the etched rail numbers are a nice touch too! Fit and finish was on par with similarly priced rails such as Midwest Industries offerings. Make sure you take the opportunity to check out the video too:

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Nice! If I wasnt working on making my AK look like a late 1950's Type 3 I'd be all over that rail system.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Nice! If I wasnt working on making my AK look like a late 1950's Type 3 I'd be all over that rail system.

Nostalgic AK look (type 2/3), this design is what people envision when someone mentions an AK (at least I do). Can't go wrong with a build like that!! :thumbsup:

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I think it looks great. I don't think it would work for what I would like however.

From looking at it, it appears as if it sits to high to achieve a co-witness with the iron sights if you mounted a red dot on it. This is why I'm still contemplating the Ultimak.

If I did go with this rail system or the MI rail then I would have to use the mount on the side of the receiver or I would have to get one of those Texas Weapon Systems dust covers with the rail on top.

Am I right in thinking that this rail system sits to high to give you a co-witness?

Also, does this system lock up tight? Is there any wobble in it?

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Not sure, might allow for lower third co-witness but I have not checked yet. In regards to the lock up the thing is as solid as a rock with no wobble at all.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Nostalgic AK look (type 2/3), this design is what people envision when someone mentions an AK (at least I do). Can't go wrong with a build like that!! :thumbsup:

Its my one and only AK (SAM7R) so I want it to look classic. I already placed an order with Iron Wood Designs a few weeks ago for a furniture set in orginial Russian Shellac so hopefully it'll show up in the next couple of weeks. It wont be a true Type 3 clone but, it'll be close enough for me. :D

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    How's that handle heat? I know the galil-style polymer handguard on my AK starts to get warm around 60 rounds.

Do they have the metal lining on the inside. I only ask because the Arsenal I have has polymer hand guards and I can dump 3 mags before it starts getting hot. I usually wear gloves though so it's a non issue.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    Do they have the metal lining on the inside. I only ask because the Arsenal I have has polymer hand guards and I can dump 3 mags before it starts getting hot. I usually wear gloves though so it's a non issue.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Nope. Mine's never reached the point where I felt like I needed gloves, it just gets really warm. This handguard looks damned sexy, so I thought I'd ask. No point in switching to it if I'd have to start wearing gloves or taking breaks for it to cool down.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Nope. Mine's never reached the point where I felt like I needed gloves, it just gets really warm. This handguard looks damned sexy, so I thought I'd ask. No point in switching to it if I'd have to start wearing gloves or taking breaks for it to cool down.

Hopefully the vents on the handguard will help air pass through and dissipate heat, but not sure yet. I gotta get out to the range and see how it does.

Soul Rebel

Mar 8, 2013
    sweet vid. i just subscribed to your youtube channel. looking forward to the update as i'm seriously considering picking one up.

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    Its my one and only AK (SAM7R) so I want it to look classic. I already placed an order with Iron Wood Designs a few weeks ago for a furniture set in orginial Russian Shellac so hopefully it'll show up in the next couple of weeks. It wont be a true Type 3 clone but, it'll be close enough for me. :D

I picked up a SAM7R recently as well and have been thinking about going the same route you did with the iron wood designs in shellac. Can you post pics when you finally get them in? Id be curious to hear your experience with them.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I picked up a SAM7R recently as well and have been thinking about going the same route you did with the iron wood designs in shellac. Can you post pics when you finally get them in? Id be curious to hear your experience with them.

Sure thing! Hopefully the set I ordered isnt to far away from delivery. Maybe a couple weeks.

wailer

Oct 2, 2008
    Largo
    I really like the look of this system!! Make sure your update this post after your range session, as I too would like to know how it holds up to a couple mag dumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom