• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Just wanted to see who's interested in getting a Form 4 SBR post 10/1, specifically one that's not on the handgun roster (in celebration of another unnecessary restriction being lifted). If so, what are your thinking about getting?

I will start with CMMG Mutant MK47K!! :D

unnamed.png

MG_3770.jpg

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    GOOOOF............Really thought I was posting in the NFA section, but oh well, at least it's a rifle............

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    What changed that was lifted? I looked around but haven't seen anything?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yep, same here. If I'm going through the trouble to get an SBR I want to be able to do whatever I want with it. Hopefully MSP yields or loses in court

Two ways to look at this one. You can hold out and hope that the MSP loses in court or changes its opinion. However, you then have to deal with the ATF proposed Rule 41P regarding trusts if you would like to use a trust to purchase your new NFA item.

Then again, if HR 2578 gets passed by Congress and signed into law by the President, proposed ATF Rule 41P will become a non-issue.

Me, I am going to try to get a couple SBR's right now, and then a couple more later on down the road if MSP changes its mind or loses in court on the 29" issue and Rule 41P has not been put in place.

This is enough to give a person a headache.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Two ways to look at this one. You can hold out and hope that the MSP loses in court or changes its opinion. However, you then have to deal with the ATF proposed Rule 41P regarding trusts if you would like to use a trust to purchase your new NFA item.

Then again, if HR 2578 gets passed by Congress and signed into law by the President, proposed ATF Rule 41P will become a non-issue.

Me, I am going to try to get a couple SBR's right now, and then a couple more later on down the road if MSP changes its mind or loses in court on the 29" issue and Rule 41P has not been put in place.

This is enough to give a person a headache.

Waiting for anything gun related is never a good idea! You sir are correct, get it now and don't count on it being available, legal or affordable tomorrow! History has proven this fact time and time again! :sad20:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Waiting for anything gun related is never a good idea! You sir are correct, get it now and don't count on it being available, legal or affordable tomorrow! History has proven this fact time and time again! :sad20:

Amen!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Getting SBR's to not be recognized as pistols was a brilliant move on THEIR part. Remember how you could still get an AK pistol and make it a SBR? Or any other banned long gun for that matter (I think someone did an M1A). Yeah, now you can't do that.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Yeah, now you can't do that.
    Why not? Can still buy an AK pistol that's on the roster and do a Form 1 SBR. (Has to be on roster since transferred as a pistol.) But you can now order a Form 4 SBR that doesn't have its pistol version on the roster (because either too new or is a banned 'assault' pistol.) I don't understand how this isn't a win for us. You can get a Thompson M1 SBR now as an example (AFAIK there is no pistol version to submit to the roster board.)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Why not? Can still buy an AK pistol that's on the roster and do a Form 1 SBR. (Has to be on roster since transferred as a pistol.) But you can now order a Form 4 SBR that doesn't have its pistol version on the roster (because either too new or is a banned 'assault' pistol.) I don't understand how this isn't a win for us. You can get a Thompson M1 SBR now as an example (AFAIK there is no pistol version to submit to the roster board.)

Let's see. Ak's are banned long guns. Now a SBR is a long gun (not a pistol). You seriously thing Dumais introduced a bill without the intention of shoving it up your ass sideways?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Let's see. Ak's are banned long guns. Now a SBR is a long gun (not a pistol). You seriously thing Dumais introduced a bill without the intention of shoving it up your ass sideways?

Actually its still a handgun under Md law. And was always a long gun under federal law.

I am not sure you are correct ...I just don't know..

Lawyers...???

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

AR-15s with non-HBAR barrels are banned guns. But SBR AR-15s with pencil barrels are legal.

They are only, for now, holding them to the copy cat provisions. Which will prevent flash suppressor and folding stock.

So YES, you MAY buy/possess and SBR version of a banned long gun.

What they THOUGHT they did with the bill, is not always what they actually SAW in the bill.

Hmm, time to consider an SBR FN FAL Para. :)

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Based on a recent conversation with Engage, it sounds like the SBR OAL case is mired in legal cow dung (good dung for us, but bad dung as far as making progress goes), so it may be awhile. Therefore, as others've suggested, if a trust's your preferred route of Form 1 travel, it may be better to get while the gettin's good than to wait for more infringements that may be comin' down the pike.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Actually its still a handgun under Md law. And was always a long gun under federal law.

I am not sure you are correct ...I just don't know..

Lawyers...???

you have to look at the 3 (now 2) definitions of handgun in md law, and what section of law they are found, criminal or public safety.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD

You can get Form 4 AKs now, they (SBR AKs) don't have to be on the handgun roster now, just compliant with copy cat provisions; OAL, flash hider, folding stock etc.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom