Glock Barrel Accuracy test, Which brand is best!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Victory Gun Blog rounded up a bunch of aftermarket Glock barrels to find out which one is the most accurate. The results are interesting!!!

http://www.victorygunblog.com/blog/barrelrace17

Attachments

• download.jpg
      download.jpg
      78.1 KB · Views: 677

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    No Barsto? No Lone Wolf? KKM barrels are nice, so that doesn't surprise me it tested so well.

Last edited:

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    No Barsto? No Lone Wolf? KKM barrels are nice, so that doesn't surprise me.

No Storm Lake either. I have several Lone Wolf & Storm Lake barrels in different Glocks, they are excellent barrels and considerably better than the factory Glock tube IMO.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    No Barsto? No Lone Wolf? KKM barrels are nice, so that doesn't surprise me.

No Storm Lake either. I have several Lone Wolf & Storm Lake barrels in different Glocks, they are excellent barrels and considerably better than the factory Glock tube IMO.

But but wait, it's on the Internet so it must be true, Bonjour.:D
    I'm with you guys I've got either Lone Wolf or Storm Lake in all my Glock handguns and I couldn't be happier with the accuracy with any of them.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They are missing some of the most popular brands, also seems to show the factory barrels stack up well, any of the 3 loads shot better than most shooters can hold. I've found them to punch paper with the best once you find a usually midweight load they like, but with larger feedramps and chambers they should be more reliable when a pistol is dirty or fouled. Aftermarket are nice though for alternate calibers, hardcast, different lengths or threading, but at least for GLOCK, replacing the barrel doesn't really gain much if anything in accuracy, and gives up some features.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    They are missing some of the most popular brands, also seems to show the factory barrels stack up well, any of the 3 loads shot better than most shooters can hold. I've found them to punch paper with the best once you find a usually midweight load they like, but with larger feedramps and chambers they should be more reliable when a pistol is dirty or fouled. Aftermarket are nice though for alternate calibers, hardcast, different lengths or threading, but at least for GLOCK, replacing the barrel doesn't really gain much if anything in accuracy, and gives up some features.

You lost me on the "giving up features" part...? What features would I be giving up for example by swapping my stock Glock 22 tube for a Lone Wolf or Storm Lake replacement..?? I'm not trolling you, I just honestly can't think of anything I'm "giving up" by doing a swap like that.

With regard to accuracy... I can only speak to my own personal experiences with my particular Glock guns (models 17, 19, 21, 22, 23, & 30) but I've found the LW and SL barrels to be somewhat more accurate in general, it's not a "night and day" difference mind you, but it's noticeable nevertheless. They also have slightly tighter chambers and slightly better case support than the Glock tubes, which is an extra measure of safety for me, as I reload quite a bit of my ammo.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You lost me on the "giving up features" part...? What features would I be giving up for example by swapping my stock Glock 22 tube for a Lone Wolf or Storm Lake replacement..?? I'm not trolling you, I just honestly can't think of anything I'm "giving up" by doing a swap like that.

With regard to accuracy... I can only speak to my own personal experiences with my particular Glock guns (models 17, 19, 21, 22, 23, & 30) but I've found the LW and SL barrels to be somewhat more accurate in general, it's not a "night and day" difference mind you, but it's noticeable nevertheless. They also have slightly tighter chambers and slightly better case support than the Glock tubes, which is an extra measure of safety for me, as I reload quite a bit of my ammo.

Just about all aftermarket barrels use cut rifling where hammer forged/polygonal rifling has a smoother surface without machining marks, can give a little more velocity, less fouling, easier to clean. The Nitriding finish is harder, less reflective, stays cleaner compared to stainless, less likely to peen on the locking surfaces. The larger chamber and deeper feed ramp can be more reliable in dirty conditions, factory support, and probably the best feature, it comes with all new GLOCK pistols for free;)

I reload too, there is a big difference between later 3rd and 4th gen models and early models, MUCH more case support, and slightly tighter chambers with improved chamfering at the breech end. They are still tough on brass, but not ridiculously so unless you push the higher pressure calibers to their limit. Aftermarket barrels with traditional rifling do have their place, i have a couple for various reasons, but improving accuracy isn't one of them.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Just about all aftermarket barrels use cut rifling where hammer forged/polygonal rifling has a smoother surface without machining marks, can give a little more velocity, less fouling, easier to clean. The Nitriding finish is harder, less reflective, stays cleaner compared to stainless, less likely to peen on the locking surfaces. The larger chamber and deeper feed ramp can be more reliable in dirty conditions, factory support, and probably the best feature, it comes with all new GLOCK pistols for free;)

I reload too, there is a big difference between later 3rd and 4th gen models and early models, MUCH more case support, and slightly tighter chambers with improved chamfering at the breech end. They are still tough on brass, but not ridiculously so unless you push the higher pressure calibers to their limit. Aftermarket barrels with traditional rifling do have their place, i have a couple for various reasons, but improving accuracy isn't one of them.

OK, fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "dissing" the stock factory Glock tube, it seems to work well enough for the average bear, but I personally just prefer the stainless Lone Wolf & Storm Lake replacement and conversion barrels for my Glocks, and I'm satisfied they they give slightly improved accuracy in my particular guns. I'm not currently running a stock factory pipe in any of my Glocks, and don't plan to.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    You're in Frederick I'll give you fiddy bucks for your stock Glock barrels.

Uhhm, in your dreams...:lol2:

No offense, but seriously... I've sold at least six (so far) brand new Glock tubes on ebay for $125 each, and they sell pretty fast, usually within a few days or a week at most. Even after my fees and shipping I clear a bit over $100 ea. Even heavily used stock barrels will bring more than $50 on ebay.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    It's my understanding that they reached out to the manufacturers, the companies tested are the ones that sent in barrel for the tests. Yes a few big companies are missing ZEV, Storm Lake etc...

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    OK, fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "dissing" the stock factory Glock tube, it seems to work well enough for the average bear, but I personally just prefer the stainless Lone Wolf & Storm Lake replacement and conversion barrels for my Glocks, and I'm satisfied they they give slightly improved accuracy in my particular guns. I'm not currently running a stock factory pipe in any of my Glocks, and don't plan to.

For some others, my M&P pro for instance were transformed with an aftermarket barrel. That pistol came with the crappy early model barrels, replaced it with a storm lake, lapped and fitted it. Went from 6"+ groups to around 2", even gained about 50FPS. Have fitted aftermarket barrels/bushings to a few 1911s, with good results. When I bought my first G30SF, I bought an aftermarket barrel that had more support, wanted to shoot lead, 45 super, and wanted to keep the brass nice. It did all those things, same accuracy as the factory barrel, occasional rough feeding with some bullet shapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom