• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Having received my gen 4 G17, and having manipulated it some, i have to say that i really wish it had front side serrations like my XD. I am in the habit of grasping over top of the slide for press checks and there is no purchase on the Glock slide. Will have to change my technique up.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Having received my gen 4 G17, and having manipulated it some, i have to say that i really wish it had front side serrations like my XD. I am in the habit of grasping over top of the slide for press checks and there is no purchase on the Glock slide. Will have to change my technique up.

Use your strong hand. I was never a fan of over the top, front press checks. Afraid of shooting my sensitive little hand. Also you have nothing behind the slide to keep it from going back too far and taking the round out of the chamber. Minutiae, I know.

Cup the trigger guard/pistol in your support hand while pinching from under, front of the slide. Take your strong hand thumb/meaty palm portion behind and up high on the hand grip while (behind the slide) wrapping your fingers over the top back of the slide. Simply squeeze that hand and it brings the slide back far enough to take a peek. Pinch your support fingers and push back also.

Clear as mud, right? I'll try and get a picture later. I find doing it this way works with many pistols since slides/springs/tension, etc... are different. Also this way guarantees that there is no trigger finger near the trigger.

As usual, ymmv. :)

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    Yeah. I'd need a photo or video to picture that.

The way i did them my hand was never in front of the barrel. The slide was in the palm of my hand with the barrel extending beyond. Also hard to describe.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Grip tape works wonders.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    Grip tape works wonders.
    I actually tried i bit of talon tape on top of the slide last night and did not find it to help that much. Maybe i didn't have the placement dialed in.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Get one of these stupid fvcking things. LOL

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 9.51.11 AM.png
      Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 9.51.11 AM.png
      9.9 KB · Views: 153

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Eh. My wife took some crappy pictures. Maybe you can get the idea. This is with my G19. Fingers over the top pull back while the thumb on the top back of the handgrip pushes a little as the fingers pull.

Attachments

• IMG_0738.JPG
      IMG_0738.JPG
      12.3 KB · Views: 112
    • IMG_0737.JPG
      IMG_0737.JPG
      11.7 KB · Views: 115

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    Eh. My wife took some crappy pictures. Maybe you can get the idea. This is with my G19. Fingers over the top pull back while the thumb on the top back of the handgrip pushes a little as the fingers pull.

Funny. I was literally just making a quick video of my press check method using the front serrations. I am over the top, but not in front of the barrel.

I am trying to decipher your photos.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I like both hands having positive control of the slide, because under stress, one could easily take that bad boy out of battery with 1 hand.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    I like both hands having positive control of the slide, because under stress, one could easily take that bad boy out of battery with 1 hand.

Guess I won't have choice since Glock did not see fit to give me the front serrations on the G17. :D

I get the gist of what you are doing in the photo. I will have a go at it when I play with the Glock

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Am I not tactical enough if I have never "press checked" a gun?

I have a simple rule...if a magazine is in the gun there is a round in the chamber.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    Am I not tactical enough if I have never "press checked" a gun?

I have a simple rule...if a magazine is in the gun there is a round in the chamber.
    The po po guys i trained with are big on it. Bottom line is that sometime somewhere somebody on the team thought he had one in the chamber going into a room but didn't thereby putting the rest of the team at risk when his gun went click. That guy was an a-hole​. Don't be an a-hole. Make sure there is one in the chamber.

You get the idea.

The risk isnt only that you will forget to rack the slide and chamber a round, it is that a mechanical malfunction will occur and a round won't be chambered when the slide goes forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom