• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Am I not tactical enough if I have never "press checked" a gun?

I have a simple rule...if a magazine is in the gun there is a round in the chamber.

You're letting your inexperience show. It has nothing to do with being tactical.

Anyone who has shot any courses of fire with different round counts and mag reloads might do one on the line. It checks readiness of the pistol before the next round of fire.
    It's part of many shooter's rituals.

Some courses of fire may or may not use all rounds in the mag. And if you're someone who rides the slide lock and you shoot a mag to empty, well you might have a empty mag loaded with an in battery slide and no round in the chamber. (Well, except for you)
    We do a press check before holstering to see what's going on. Now you know if you need to reload before you start the next round of fire.
    You've obviously never had to store a loaded pistol somewhere out of your possession. That's fine too. Many have to under certain situations. Hours or days later when you're strapping your shit on, you do a press check for piece of mind and operational readiness.
    It's 3:30 a.m. And I'm posting from my phone, I'm sure I could throw a couple more scenarios out there, but I'm not.
    Press checking is more of an "admin" pistol ritual.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Some courses of fire may or may not use all rounds in the mag. And if you're someone who rides the slide lock and you shoot a mag to empty, well you might have a empty mag loaded with an in battery slide and no round in the chamber.

Good example. That can definitely happen. My thumb has ridden the slide lock on my XD before keeping the slide from locking back on empty.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Good example. That can definitely happen. My thumb has ridden the slide lock on my XD before keeping the slide from locking back on empty.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Ask me how I know. :) My only issue with a 229. I usually get the clue when everyone else on the firing line is changing mags and I'm not. :D

Or when the slide goes forward on those hard slap mag exchanges and the bump along with an ever so slight "slide ride", the mag seats on an already forward slide. Did 1 go in or not? 2 ways to find out, pull the trigger if you're still firing or a press check before holstering.

Some guys do it waaaaaay too much though. Maybe not needed before every reholster, but nothing wrong with it since you are out of action at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom